PDA

View Full Version : Diesel

Uncle Cracker
3rd May 2003, 22:47
Such an excellent word obviously deserves it's own thread.

Rollingthunder
3rd May 2003, 23:25
Gardner diesels powered many, many English buses in the mid part of the last century. Many are still going. A fine example of British engineering and a very distinctive sound as the double-decker motors by at low revs.

redsnail
4th May 2003, 00:51
Diesel?
Scourge of bike riders on roundabouts.... Bloody stuff doesn't evaporate like petrol and is bloody slippery. Grrrrrr. Oi trucks!! Don't let the stuff spill out. Grrrrrrrrr.

Uncle Cracker
4th May 2003, 01:08
Reddo

No, the word not the slippy stuff. (It's had me off as well!)

Have you tried the drink? Cider, lager and blackcurrant.

Oh yeah, and Vin Diesel. XXX rocks!

And the jeans. Cooler than FCUK. (Might get copyright on that..):cool:

Loki
4th May 2003, 01:50
Yet they still have an unfortunate image. Odd, at least to me, a recent convert to the turbo diesel car. They seem to have a relentless quality when driving them.

Uncle Cracker
4th May 2003, 02:09
Not to mention the diesel bike that was apparently used against Saddam recently. More torque than a Labour conference.

G-ALAN
4th May 2003, 02:51
Or diesil locomotive, theres nothing like the sound of an English Electric class 47 :D (well maybe a P&W JT8D) but then a 47 hehe.

Joe Bolt
4th May 2003, 03:49
Diesel is jolly good stuff for cleaning oil and grease off machinery. Next time you have an engine to clean, don't waste your money on an expensive degreasing agent; go and get a gallon of erm expensive diesel instead.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
4th May 2003, 04:50
Or diesil locomotive, theres nothing like the sound of an English Electric class 47 (well maybe a P&W JT8D) but then a 47 hehe.

The class 47? Bland in the extreme IMHO compared to, say the supercharger whistle with deep base throb of a 40, the high speed sceam of a Deltic, or the distintive Maybachs in the 'Western'.

But the best ever engine sounds have to be petrol - the Merlin being my favorite.

Diesels in cars? Ugh! They smell, and they emit nasty particulates that stick in lungs and cause cancer and all sorts of nasties. Just see the smoke (even from the very latest generation, especially on throttle-up).

And as a biker, I live in dread of meeting the stuff on the road. I can't understand quite why the HGV industry thinks it is so expensive considering the amount of the stuff they slosh out onto the road.

SSD

Loki
4th May 2003, 06:25
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Actually I quite like the smell. When I reverse down the drive in the morning with the window open I sometimes catch a whiff which takes me right back to boyhood days. My dad had a boat with a wonderful single cylinder diesel (Volvo Penta MD1). I remember starting it was a two man operation. Hand crank the blighter with the compression off until at a decent rpm then shove the compression lever down whilst number two hits the start button. This method was supposed to save too much load on the battery, but I got a hell of a scare on one occasion when I didn`t manage to disengage the starting handle in time. Engine started ok, but I was mesmerised by the blur of the handle whizzing round inches from my face. I`m still here, so you can believe me when I say we managed to stop the engine before it flew off.

As for particulates, I think my car, which is one of the new fangled common rail kind scores quite well. Not being a car anorak, I would have to do some research....just trust me.

pigboat
4th May 2003, 11:05
Any truth to the rumour that some East German female Olympic swimmers used diesel powered dildos?

Uncle Cracker
4th May 2003, 15:51
Pigboat

It is true diesel can be used (sparingly) as a flushing oil for petrol engines. Gets the sh!te off the valves a treat, it does.
Same principle I suppose. ;)

Ausatco
4th May 2003, 17:36
When I were a lad, used to live on farm. No 240V power then, 32V DC, batteries and diesel generator.

Single cylinder diesel engine driving a generator about as big as half a 44 gal drum, 5HP, piston about as big as a 5lb jam tin that went up and down about a foot and a half 750 times a minute. (No metrics back then either, so live with it!) Two flywheels, each about 2 1/2 cwt (IIRC).

Ok, Ok, metrics for you young'uns. 5hp=3.75kW. 5lb jam tin = 2.3kg. IIRC, bore was about 150mm (6in). 2.5cwt = about 127kg.

On a cold, frosty morning the starting procedure for this 13 y/o then lightweight was:

Turn the lever that lifted the exhaust valve (to kill the compression)

Insert crank handle and stand on it to make the ****** start to turn.

Jump off and try to keep it turning a bit by hand to get the oil up.

Put a bit of ether on a rag (you could buy ether at the chemist then, along with cough mixture that contained opium and many other things that are PIC now) and drape the rag over the air filter.

By this time the engine had stopped turning - oil like treacle. Stand on crank handle again, get it turning, jump off and work like crazy to get it turning as fast as possible. I reckon I could get it to about 30 rpm, but had no endurance to keep it there - it was heavy work!

Release the valve lifter and hope that the momentum of the flywheels would carry it over the first compression. If it did, the engine didn't really fire as such, more like a long loud sigh - fffffuuuff, with a big cloud of smoke out the exhaust - but enough to give it a bit of a kick and speed it up a little to kick over the next compression. Success!

Otherwise, start again.

My dad made it look so easy when he did it, but it was my job.

AA

pigboat
5th May 2003, 05:56
Agree Uncle. Definitely the same principle.:cool:

Ausatco, was your diesel a Lister too?:D

Kwasi_Mensa
5th May 2003, 06:13
My present diesel has only 234 HP, but a massive 500 Nm torque. My first diesel (MB W115 240D) had only 65HP...

Steamhead
5th May 2003, 06:48
Many years ago,just starting college,and a group of us purchased
a small motor boat off the outgoing year, sight unseen.
Come the weekend we are on the beach where the boat is stored.
We unlock the box over the engine and stare at at this single cylinder diesel??
Why the blow lamp and bottle of meths?
We play with the engine for a while without success.
An elderly gentleman come along and stops and starts to explain.
This is a semi-diesel or hot bulb engine.
First you light the blowlamp(meths, pricker, no eye-brows, etc.).
Second you get the hot bulb on top of the cylinder head red hot.
Third you lift the decompressor lever and crank, and if your lucky
it would start.
It saving grace is that it would run all day on a gallon of T.V.O.
(Tractor Vapourising Oil - somewhere between paraffin and diesel)

Happy days.

EGCC_pax
5th May 2003, 08:07
We should all drive diesel powered vehicles.
Lower revving less noise (Ford 1.8D excepted) less harmfull emissions no lead into the atmosphere. Less volitale than petrol safer in an accident.
And as for big diesels what about a Class 33 ! (boperty,boperty,bopertyboperty) (sound fx)

Paul

:ok: :ok:

Shaggy Sheep Driver
5th May 2003, 08:30
Class 33 is one I like to listen to. FNW still run them (EWS locos) from Crewe on North Wales line to Holyhead.

But they all smoke; I was out on the bike this afternoon through Shropshire into Wales - lots of horrid diesel smoke visible, even the 'common rail' new stuff. Nothing like as bad as the old diesels, but much worse than petrol for putting out nasties harmful to humans, even if better for CO2.

SSD

Ausatco
5th May 2003, 09:11
Ours was a Ronaldson Tippett vertical. Did a quick Google search and came up with a few close hits, but nothing that fully matched. A couple of years after we sold up in 1964 they got the power through the area. End of an era.

AA

pigboat
5th May 2003, 09:40
Ausatco, my uncle had the Lister. Big lumpen vertical single cylinder exactly as you describe, even the method of starting. :D

Ozzy
5th May 2003, 10:56
Diesel stinks! :*

Ozzy

mcdhu
6th May 2003, 17:43
.....just love the 1900cc 130bhp PD (whatever that is) turbo diesel that powers my VW Passat. Average of 55mpg too.

Cheers,
mcdhu

Hostie from Hell
7th May 2003, 04:16
erm, as we are supposed to have a passing interest in aviation, rather than discussing the merits of the stuff for degreasing valves, or powering everything from tractors to people carriers.. what about the latest generation of aero diesel engines ?
pretty impressive bits of kit I hear

:O http://www.zoche.de/