PDA

View Full Version : how about this for a bad day

parttimer
3rd May 2003, 04:50
Just spare a thought for the poor flybe skipper operating the q400 into sou today!
Firstly he has abusive pax on board and calls for police prescence to have the bloke arrested on arrival.
Then has a problem with his flaps which makes him hold for 20 mins and come in on a full emergency. Then obviosly his a/c is tech but only for about 30 mins.
In the meantime his cabin crew have been taken away by police to give statements and return to the a/c 45 mins later. Just as hes thinking about leaving the computer systems go down and he has to do a manual loadsheet witht the dispatcher.
Then the runway is closed for 30 mins due to what the airport called a "splillage". they wouldn't divulge any more info.
Finally 2 3/4 hours and lots of p*##@d off pax later he left only to have to fit in another 3 sectors!

Faire d'income
3rd May 2003, 05:18
I think that is a pretty good day! At least he had time to eat!!!

411A
3rd May 2003, 06:18
Can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

"Harry S. Truman", a long time ago.

Anthony Carn
3rd May 2003, 13:54
Only a four sector day ! Bliss !

I sometimes wonder if there is'nt a conspiracy as the typical working day unfolds. The example given is'nt especially extreme.

Dealing with problems generated by "children" in the cabin is becoming ever more frequent.

I'd be interested to know what flap problem leads to a full emergency (and what's a q400 and what's it's landing performance like, please ? - pardon my ignorance). :confused:

parttimer
3rd May 2003, 17:26
q400 is a bombardier dash 8 q400. and i'm only a measly handling agent so dont understand the ins and outs of flaps but might have something to do with our short runway?:confused:

wing_nut1
4th May 2003, 01:46
im just a handling agent as well but the Q400 relies too much on modern technology!....i mean with its 'glass' cockpit..all it takes is a drop of water to hit the wires and they are stuffed!!

I pitty for the pilot as well..must of been a day from hell

snooze_ya_lose
4th May 2003, 01:56
Hard day? Yeah, right!

It was only four years ago that I was banging back and forth between SOU and GCI for what was then Jersey European, in the venerable F27.

I can remember days when we flew six sectors when both places were fogbound, that's six approaches to minimums with at least four go-arounds, holding and diversions, all in an aircraft with no autopilot or flight director, agricultural de-icing, and all the other joys of 1950s technology (like running out of pneumatics because the system couldn't recharge quickly enough with the demands placed on it by short sectors and go-arounds).

Sounds like our hero mentioned above had a pretty easy day, actually.

And you try to tell young people that today- and they don't believe you...!!!

(apologies to M Python Esq)

Herod
4th May 2003, 04:45
We're not trying to outdo one another here, are we? It sounds like a bad day to me, especially since we don't know what happened on the other three sectors (apart from hassle by crewing to extend duty).

bagpuss lives
4th May 2003, 06:09
Only a few days ago we had a 146 with severe hydraulic problems orbiting at the northern end of A25, over MONTY, burning fuel I believe, a tug hitting an aircraft on the airfield, a tels and R/T equipment fault and a C500 with a nasty fire in the cockpit which rightly evacuated on the runway :)

Thankfully all was well with each incident.

Bootlegger
4th May 2003, 17:35
"Well you think you had it bad!!".......................(Monty python sketch ).

srs what?
4th May 2003, 21:19
he has to do a manual loadsheet

OMG!!!

In trim
5th May 2003, 02:26
But how many line pilots have to do a manual loadsheet on a regular basis? It may well have been a case of "OMG"!

:p

Idunno
5th May 2003, 07:25
411A
Can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

:p Obviously a normal type of day for ole 411A :cool:

What a hero.

My names Turkish
5th May 2003, 08:55
I agree, 411 you really try hard at being a wally don't you? Never mind, your fellow PPRuNers seem to have about as much regard for you as the stuff that grows at the bottom of ponds. I think you should change your name to John Wayne.

acbus1
5th May 2003, 14:37
But how many line pilots have to do a manual loadsheet on a regular basis?
In my experience, not very often. But an idiots guide exists in our Manuals, and I have a self-constructed quick-reference listing the sequence of calculations.It's called "being prepared" and seems to work in many areas of airliner operation.

The only penalty is the few minutes required to complete the process.

Mentaleena
5th May 2003, 16:09
411A

You are probably on the wrong planet but hey, keep it a secret, no one will know, just don't post anymore and you'll be alright.

Mentaleena

Barcli
5th May 2003, 18:10
" part timer " - definately a he was it ? not an ex 145 f/o?

regards to all you handlers at sou - enjoyed your company last year - an excellent bunch... putting up with far too much s**t..
see ya soon

snooze_ya_lose
5th May 2003, 19:50
Hey now, let's not be too hard on ole 411A and his virtual airline. He can't help being loud, arrogant and insulting- he is, after all, an american... :}

greybeard
6th May 2003, 08:49
Tuff days???

You don't know you are alive,

Eleven sectors, 5 stops with no navaids, 2 NDB/DME, 1 NDB only, 1 with ILS. Do all the Manual load sheets, load and unload all pax/freight, sign and account for the Mail, sell tickets, fly some sectors, refuel twice, re oil as well.

Yes, in the last Millenium, in DC-3s, best fun ever, do it again tomorrow.

Also had to walk to school on my hands for the first weeks each year as Mum said not to get my new shoes dirty!!!!!!

We are too soft these days.

:ok:

Double Entry
6th May 2003, 19:15
Can't say I find myself in 411's camp all that often, but really, a manual loadsheet is hardly the end of the world is it? Come on my steely eyed colleagues - show a bit of backbone.

lizbet
6th May 2003, 19:56
at my company (737NG's) we have had to do manual loadsheets anytime there was 1000kg difference with planned - even 500kg for a 6 month period. Now - after a tailstrike incident - we have to do them every sector and only *after* boarding is completed and the purser lets us know the exact pax distribution! So then the pressure is on as the ground handler is waiting ( sometimes impatiently ;) ) Hopefully all will be solved when the ompany pays for an automated version - promised within a couple months!

Moneyshot
6th May 2003, 19:58
Being an old dinosaur as far as technology is concerned, I view these modern electric jets as technology for its own sake. You've got to have a degree of manual backup or you're stuffed. I prefer something akin to the 1-11 or 737-200. A modern jet has built in obsolescence in that it can suffer the same problems as an old jet PLUS the added complications of too many computers etc which can also go wrong and have more to do with economy than safety. And of course, I do a manual loadsheet every flight no problem. I agree with improvements to things eg more power and less noise etc but quantum leaps in technology merely because we can, have to be thought about carefully.

Onan the Clumsy
6th May 2003, 21:57
Just saw the last post refered to on the front page. Funny thing was that it got truncated to:

And of course, I do a manual loadsheet every f... more

Mentaleena
7th May 2003, 21:38
snooze_ya_lose,

Say, were you "banned" from this thread for a while after your posting has appeared above???

I was.

Mentaleena

twistedenginestarter
8th May 2003, 07:29
snooze
He can't help being loud, arrogant and insulting- he is, after all, an american...

You should really think twice before making posts like that. It is not a flair reflection on either 411A or our American cousins.

411A was dismissive/unsympathetic but you must appreciate there was a time when as a pilot you sometimes had to negotiate the price of a load of fuel (and carry a pocket full of cash to buy it) and when you would have to fly for 10 hours manually because the autopilot wasn't working etc etc

Loose rivets
8th May 2003, 08:19
Luxury!! We had to use the same load sheet all day long - with the sectors in different colours, just to save paper.

Apologies to The Fringe.

Tell you a true tale though. BAC 1-11 out of LHR. Sunny day, New skipper in the left, me in the right. Both of us were on our first unsupervised flight. Trim was done on a swizzle wheel with chinograph. Skipper nervous. SOPs not unlike today, but he got his knickers in a twist and put hand on power / tiller, then both on controls, then one on tiller… etc. etc. until at Vr, he had one hand on tiller and one on power levers. The, then new, 1-11 rotated itself and settled exactly at V2 + 8. Why all this new technology with that sort of accuracy achieved with a couple of discs of plastic?

Airbubba
8th May 2003, 10:41
>>He can't help being loud, arrogant and insulting- he is, after all, an american... <<

The chronic PPRuNe Yank bashing thread, ho hum...

snooze_ya_lose
8th May 2003, 11:06
Mentaleena

Yes, I had my hand slapped as well. Something about not having a go at fellow PPRuNers. Seems somewhat OTT, but there you go. Don't get me started on that one.... :ok:

Anyway...

twistedenginestarter

If you must quote me, do it properly. You will note that my post had a :} on the end of it. This is the standard internet way of saying (in this case) "I am just winding you up", which I would have thought you (and the moderators here) would have understood. I'm sure 411A understood it- didn't you, my fine colonial chum...??? Probably why he didn't get all angry and respond in kind. It seems others had a sense-of-humour failure.

but you must appreciate there was a time when as a pilot you sometimes had to negotiate the price of a load of fuel (and carry a pocket full of cash to buy it) and when you would have to fly for 10 hours manually because the autopilot wasn't working etc etc

I do appreciate it, mainly because I have done it (and for a long time too). If you look at my other posts on the thread, you will (hopefully) see that I broadly agree with 411A. All in a days work.

View From The Ground
10th May 2003, 03:02
Anyone else reminded of a famous Monty Python sketch with everyone attempting to outdo each other withe their worst days. The only thing certain about this industry is the uncertainty!

dicksynormous
10th May 2003, 11:56
Lisbet
as for manual loadsheets after a tailscrape, sounds like a manual slap across the back of the head for the guilty pilots would help.all tail scrapes in our company have been f/o who know only jets.
this sort of thing is bound to happen when people reach the cockpit of a big jet with their initial training being the only real flying they,ve done. sometmes there is no substitute for a bit of hand eye arm feel pull harder or softer as appropiare,type technology.
A beech baron with six fat yank touristd and safari gear has a tailscrape before you start the. engines. I remember etc etc etc.

yours chippily .

ps remind me to not fly ryanair in the not to distant future for the same reasons.

wasdale
13th May 2003, 00:57
Now,if he had been in a BAC 1-11 in 1999 he might have had a few things to worry about......
But come to think of it I won't go any further. Real pilots know what I mean.:) :)