PDA

View Full Version : Bnp

tony draper
3rd May 2003, 04:00
I watched a interview with a representetive of this party on one of the news channels tonight, I will say first off I disagree with just about everything in their philosophy, he did however make one statement that I agree with somewhat,he stated that the biggest danger this country faces is militant Islam, I would say the biggest danger this world faces is militant Islam.

Miserlou
4th May 2003, 08:21
Mr Bush is already on the case!

Andrew M
4th May 2003, 09:46
It is impossible to judge the whole of Islam on a few extremists. ie: those people who take things too far. The clue is in the name !

Perhaps the biggest fear we have is the unknown - we don't take time to really get to know the islamic faith. perhaps if we were comfortable with the religion, then we wouldn't feel fear everytime a big scary looking arabic guy comes onboard a aircraft

Hilico
4th May 2003, 20:42
He was partly right - in using the word "militant".

I once worked alongside a militant Christian, and he was one of the most disturbed individuals I have ever come across. He was preaching no kind of Christianity I'd ever heard of and made me feel that using the expression "live and let live" was inviting the attention of the Inquisition. The real problem was, he was only one of a large group.

Don't, therefore, pick on Islam in particular; watch out for militant loonies of all denominations, because they are all equally dangerous.

tony draper
4th May 2003, 20:50
I loath all organised religions Hilico, they have been bad cess and poisonous since they were thought up,for the most part chritsianity has been renderered powerless, it no longer has a grip of peoples minds,it is in the correct place now, in the background, and thats all it deserves.
No way can you say the same about Islam.

Fujiflyer
4th May 2003, 22:40
Tar and brushes springs to mind here. Its been said before here, but to repeat it - religion is a damn convenient bandwagon to jump on if you want to make your <extremist> views heard.

What about the good effects of religious teaching? (BTW, I am about as unreligious as anyone can be. However I respect it for the good it brings.)

tony draper
5th May 2003, 01:05
What good effects?, if christianity lasts another thousand years , (which it won't,except as a minor cult with a dwindling band of followers) and does nothing but good, it will still not make up for the blood spilled , the people tortured, butchered and burned in its name.
I want to see Islam disapear into the dustbin of history the same as chritianity, christianity has been a curse on this planet,far far worse than facism or communism, and Islam still is.

ceedee
5th May 2003, 04:29
Tony wrote:
... for the most part chritsianity has been renderered powerless, it no longer has a grip of peoples minds...
Apart from those of the leaders of both the US and UK that is...

Even those who applaud the recent military campaign against the Iraqi regime ought to be alarmed by their claims of religious justification.

Yesterday's Times' article carried the succinct -- and on-going -- warning:
"[Tony Blair's] confidence in the Christian virtue of prosecuting a controversial war is likely to inflame Muslim opinion, which is already firmly against the Gulf conflict."

IMHO, any faith that does not condemn all physical assaults against others (except as the only available defence against an unprovoked and imminent attack) is part of the problem rather than the solution.

Wedge
5th May 2003, 06:46
Good points Ceedee.

I agree with you on this Drapes, I find both Islamic and Christian fundamentalism equally abhorrent. These religions are no longer relevant (if they ever were, other than as a political means of controlling the underclasses). I would also suggest Islamic fundamentalism poses the greater terrorist threat but Christian fundamentalism (especially in America) poses the greatest cultural, or military threat to worldwide peace and democracy.

I would say that the extremists are in the minority, and there are many good things to have come out of organised religion. On balance I would like to see both Christianity and Islam consigned to the dustbin.

Kwasi_Mensa
5th May 2003, 07:21
For the very near future I would say NKorea. It claims it has at least 100 nuclear missiles aimed at the United States and will use them if new economic sanctions are imposed against it.

But hey! Who believe them?

yggorf
6th May 2003, 05:09
Any kind of fundamentalism, be it religious, political or ideological must be condemned.
And I find it strange that most of you guys happily defend the Iraq war but do not question the references made by Dubbya and Tony to God being on their side (which, incidentally, was not quite the opinion of Ol'JPII, an expert on the subject).
Ever heard of Gott mit uns?

tony draper
6th May 2003, 16:46
Oh yes, strongly condemn them, send a strong note of protest, that would really scare them and turn them into citizens.
Thats our problem nowadays, they use bombs we use words.

maninblack
6th May 2003, 18:36
You have to widen the net and look at the destabilizing influence of all religious extremism.

The US is hijacked by the religious right.
The UK government is disproportionately controlled by a religious minority hence Sunday shopping and drinking lawswith unelected religious leaders in government.
Israel is a series of hung parliaments that are controlled by the migratory vote of an extremist hardline minority party.
Saudi Arabia uses Islam as an excuse to deny women and foreigners any rights.
India suffers problems with Hindus and Sikh extremists fighting over the same land.

Isn't it amazing how much damage a bit of superstition can do?

VFE
6th May 2003, 21:48
it is in the correct place now, in the background, and thats all it deserves.

Christianity is where Cathodisism should be with it's warped outlook on sex. How many people died from the reading the Karma Sutra as opposed to the bible? Who wins?

As for the BNP, I have said for quite a while now that once respectable and responsible, quiet middle class people would start gravitating towards that party and look whats happening.

I personally loathe the likes of the BNP and am suprised that after WWII the was not a law passed banning such right wing organisations. But perhaps it will take the shock of a few BNP seats for the government to sit up and take note of the general concensus amongst British (white, black and asian origin included) people.

I saw an interview on TV with a guy who's family moved to England from Pakistan when he was young. He espoused views that would have had censorship imposed if they had been the words of a white man.

His words where to the effect of "send the Afghans home and stop anymore asylum seekers entering this country. They are ruining it!"

So it ain't just a white skin colour issue like the PC luvvies would have us believe.

VFE.

maninblack
8th May 2003, 19:18
Along the same lines I dealt with an incident a while ago when someone of degree level education informed me that, in keeping with the prevailing middle class attitude of the pre 9/11 era, that he "...........hated Americans."

I offered to let him repeat that statement with the word "Americans" deleted and any one of a list of other words inserted instead including "Blacks" "Bangladeshis" "Pakistanis" "Indians"

He was suddenly a very embarrassed immature little berk.

Why do the politically correct chattering classes feel that Americans are in the unique position of not being protected by race hate laws?

:confused:

Wedge
8th May 2003, 23:07
maninblack.....

They are not unique. It is perfectly acceptable for people here to say "I hate the French." And they do, all the time. And those who say that tend not to be the PC ones!

Paterbrat
8th May 2003, 23:23
Can't say that I am desperately fond of the PC element either. But then as one gets older a touch of crankiness I have found does tend to creep in.