PDA

View Full Version : French Military Equipment Review

FEBA
2nd May 2003, 22:41
http://www.hannity.com/content/images/funnies/frenchkn.jpg

steamchicken
2nd May 2003, 23:35
If you really think that, may I recommend you read Alistair Horne's "The Price of Glory: Verdun, 1916"

SASless
3rd May 2003, 13:35
We read that......we were wondering about the sequel....Western Civilization's War Against Terrorism-Nations United Against Evil . Unfortunately , they gave it a miss thus that volume remains to be written.....however the preceding volume....Criminal Support of the Prolifiration of Weapons of Mass Destruction-Part Two .....they are already seventy five chapters along.

ZH875
4th May 2003, 01:15
Wasn't the last serious war that the French won around 1066 in southern England.

French military Pictures include: Paris 1914 seen in a rear view mirror, and the sequel taken in the same car in 1940.

Survive to fight, QUIT the EU

DrSyn
4th May 2003, 07:10
Forgive me for appearing a bit pickie here, but the French did not invade England in 1066. This is pure Gallic propaganda. The "Nor(se)mans" were basically the same bunch of Scando-Germanic types as the Anglo-Saxon-Jutish chaps who started coming ashore here some 600 years earlier. They were conceded Normandy by the French King around 900 AD, because these Vikings had been just as much a bloody nuisance to the French as they had been to the "English" at the same time.

When Edward the Confessor died in 1066, the Witan elected Harold as King of England, whilst his cousin William, on the other side of the Channel, reckoned that Edward had already promised him the throne 14 years earlier. The net result of the Battle of Hastings was that William's Scandies beat Harold's Scandies. Unfortunately, William's bunch imported a few unpleasant habits acquired from the French during their 150 years in Normandy, such as their language, and this, quite naturally, peed-off their English cousins for quite a long time afterwards.

My lowly rural ancestors really couldn't give a hoot who was in charge as long as the tax remained at around, say, 3 pigs and 5 bushels of grain per annum. Attempts at raising this level of taxation inevitably resulted in a stirring to arms and a change of government. Leadership changes have generally followed this principle ever since. Unfortunately, modern rulers continue to ignore the fundamental lessons of history, as did their predecessors. Their political careers tend to suffer similarly although, today, the battlefield is largely restricted to the hustings.

Apart from this, I see nothing to disagree with ZH875. Hope this clarifies :)

Huron Topp
6th May 2003, 23:46
Criminal Support of the Prolifiration of Weapons of Mass Destruction-Part Two

I'm assuming Part One involved the US support and supply of chemicals to Saddam etc.?:uhoh:

contact_tower
7th May 2003, 17:50
French military Pictures include: Paris 1914 seen in a rear view mirror, and the sequel taken in the same car in 1940.

Why don't you tell that to the french soldiers fighting the germans in Norway weeks after the last british soldier left?

:suspect:

flapsforty
7th May 2003, 20:59
After Larvik was back in allied hands and the Germans had fallen back to a last stand on Bjørnefjell, British command decided to pull it's soldiers out.
On May 24th, Lord Cork recieved orders to retreat in secret, so the Germans wouldn't notice.
The Norwegians were not informed about this until June 1st!!
The French stayed, and together with the Poles, helped the Norwegians end their part of the war on June 10th.

link to Norwegian site (http://www.kristiansten-festning.no/narvik_det_g%c3%a5r_mot_slutten.htm)

BlueEagle
8th May 2003, 07:41
I don't think all the British left Norway as stated!

My boss in the Army was an ex wartime SAS man and he was in Norway with many others quite some time after the official surrender. It was thought that the un battle blooded Germans might try to put up a fight rather than obey the surrender.

The Germans were subdued, (by, I think, a Polish, Fench AND British force), the SAS took to the local brew, caused mayhem and were eventually thrown out! Shortly after that the SAS were disbanded and not re-formed until the 1950s. In their defence the SAS had fought a very hard war from North Africa, through Italy, France and Germany before reaching Norway and this was their first opportunity to relax! Unfortunately they took it much too far.

Just my 2d.!:D

DrSyn
8th May 2003, 12:47
'Ello, 'Ello. Is this another Banter-free Zone alert?

Wiley
8th May 2003, 14:10
BlueEagle, I think you’ll find you’re describing events that took almost five years after the campaign being discussed here. The British Army didn’t have a SAS Regiment in 1940, and, unfortunately, the Germans weren’t very ‘subdued’ - either before, during or until five years after this particular campaign.

BlueEagle
9th May 2003, 08:44
Yup - I mis read it, I am talking about the events that took place in Norway at the end of the war, not 1940! Thanks again.:ok: