PDA

View Full Version : JCAB Medical for Nippon Cargo

747Dryvr
2nd May 2003, 20:46
Does anyone have any info regarding the JCAB medical process. I have heard it is intense.

Thanks,
Brian

Statorblade
3rd May 2003, 11:39
You will probably have to do an initial/interview medical to confirm that you would meet the JCAB standard for the initial issue of the ATPL and then the "actual" JCAB initial medical when it comes time to actually get the licence. They are both identical examinations to the best of my knowledge.

If you do this initial or interview medical outside of Japan, there may be psych tests involved that are not required if the check is done in Japan (This happened in several cases of which I am aware).

The check itself is VERY comprehensive. Expect the following:-

1.Resting ECG.
2.Stress ECG. If there are any problems with this, you may be asked to do an echo ECG and/or thallium stress ECG.
3.EEG. (Takes about 40 minutes)
4.Full opthalmalogical eye check. (takes about 40 minutes)
5.Full ENT check, including assessments of balance.
6.Some serious blood tests. (At least 3 standard blood samples). The items that are checked for in the blood tests are much more comprehensive than anything I have ever done before.
7.Drug Tests.
8.Standard chest X ray.
9.Body Mass Index (< 30) check.
10.General medical examination.
11.Full urine check. Make sure the sample you give is "mid stream" as it is a better and cleaner sample for the check.
12.Ultrasound check around the abdomen/stomach area. (No idea why this is done; - maybe some medicos can advise)

If this check is done in Japan, it will probably be at a dedicated medical facility and can easily be done inside one day.

Outside of Japan, it may take 2 days as the tests may have to be done at different locations.

I would certainly look at the following before you do it:

Stay away from alcohol.
Drink as MUCH water as you can and avoid heavy meals the day before. This should ensure the urine tests are okay regarding protein etc. and may also have beneficial effects on other parts of the body.
Get some exercise.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck. :D

redsnail
3rd May 2003, 23:10
I think the BMI figure is more like 26%.

Statorblade
4th May 2003, 06:41
Reddo

Having gone through the torture of one of these, I am fairly certain that the BMI limit is 30. However, a BMI of around 25 is considered preferable.

747Dryvr
7th May 2003, 09:58
Thanks guys for the info I really appreciate it. The guy at HACS I belive said 30% BMI... I am 74" and 213lbs and currently exersising regularly so we will see what happens. Anyway at least your getting one hell of an exam..

Thanks Again