PDA

View Full Version : Where have all my PM's gone ?

proxus
2nd May 2003, 10:17
I looked just now in my Pm inbox and it is nearly emty. Only two in all folders, a question I received yesterday and the answer I gave.

I had 22 messages when I last checked, but now they are gone!
They were there, even after the Pprune crash.

Can I have them back, PLEASE

( does this have anything to do with me cleaning the cookies folder ? the day before that. It shouldn't matter)

Any Ideas ??:confused: :{

PPRuNe Towers
2nd May 2003, 18:29
Roll back the date in view - it is probably now set at the default five days. While at it you should delete as much as possible - including those messages in the sent folder.

There is a global limit on how many messages your box can hold and you are appoaching the threshold.

Regards
Rob

Danny
2nd May 2003, 21:03
Another thing, the sytem clears out PM's older than 90 days (I think).

The PM system was introduced to try and reduce the number of requests we were getting to pass messages to other members. They take up bandwidth and disk space and so I limited them to allow only 40 messages to be stored.

Unfortunately, that limit of 40 messages includes all copies and tracking receipts. many people are not aware that once their other folders (Copies of sent messages and tracking receipts) reach the 40 limit they cannot receive any more PM's until they delete some of them. To stop the increasing number of people who were telling us that their In-Box was empty but they still couldn't receive PM's I took the decision to automatically delte all messages that were over 90 days old.

So, if you want to keep your old PM's I suggest you save them locally to your PC. The PPRuNe PM system was never meant to be a fully fledged email system.

proxus
2nd May 2003, 22:42
Yes I understand. However they were only about 22 with replys included. I was on my way saving them for future reference.

I know that It would be a lot of trouble for Pprune but it would have been nice to have received a notification of some sort.

Well just got to remember it next time. Oh and I too never intended to use Pm as a fully fledged email system.:ouch:

Proxus

Tim_Q
3rd May 2003, 01:11
Yes, I have had this problem today too. I can understand the 90 day limit. I doubt whether all my PMs were this old bar the 2 that remain! I wouldn't have thought so :confused: