PDA

View Full Version : Best Bush Quotes

FEBA
2nd May 2003, 01:57
Not sure if this is factual but I've heard that Bush has been quoted as saying about the French "The trouble with the French is that they dont have a word for entrepreneur" is this true?

Caslance
2nd May 2003, 02:01
Hmmmm............

"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully"(George W Bush Jr: Saginaw, Mich., Sept. 29, 2000)
"It's clearly a budget. It's got a lot of numbers in it."(George W Bush Jr: Reuters, May 5, 2000)
"More and more of our imports come from overseas."(George W Bush Jr: Beaverton, Ore., Sep. 25, 2000)
"You teach a child to read and he or her will be able to pass a literacy test."(George W Bush Jr: February 21, 2001 Townsend Elementary School)

Yup, could well be true!:)

Lenny
2nd May 2003, 02:34
:E

"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."
- George W. Bush

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any Governor, and that one word is 'to be prepared'."
- Governor George W. Bush

"I have made good judgments in the past. I have made good judgments in the future."

"The future will be better tomorrow."

"We're going to have the best educated American people in the world."

"I stand by all the misstatements that I've made."

"We have a firm commitment to NATO, we are a part of NATO. We have a firm commitment to Europe. We are a part of Europe."

"Public speaking is very easy."

"A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls."

"We are ready for any unforeseen event that may or may not occur."

"For NASA, space is still a high priority."

"Quite frankly, teachers are the only profession that teach our children."

"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in our air and water that are doing it."

"It's time for the human race to enter the solar system."
"Anyway, I'm so thankful, and so gracious - I'm gracious that my brother Jeb is concerned about the hemisphere as well." -George W. Bush, June 4, 2001

"It's important for young men and women who look at the Nebraska champs to understand that quality of life is more than just blocking shots." -George W. Bush, in remarks to the University of Nebraska women's volleyball team, the 2001 national champions, May 31, 2001

"So on behalf of a well-oiled unit of people who came together to serve something greater than themselves, congratulations." -George W. Bush, in remarks to the University of Nebraska women's volleyball team, the 2001 national champions, May 31, 2001

"If a person doesn't have the capacity that we all want that person to have, I suspect hope is in the far distant future, if at all." -George W. Bush, May 22, 2001

"For every fatal shooting, there were roughly three non-fatal shootings. And, folks, this is unacceptable in America. It's just unacceptable. And we're going to do something about it." -George W. Bush, May 14

"There's no question that the minute I got elected, the storm clouds on the horizon were getting nearly directly overhead." -George W. Bush, May 11, 2001

"But I also made it clear to (Vladimir Putin) that it's important to think beyond the old days of when we had the concept that if we blew each other up, the world would be safe." -George W. Bush, May 1, 2001

"First, we would not accept a treaty that would not have been ratified, nor a treaty that I thought made sense for the country." -George W. Bush, on the Kyoto accord, April 24, 2001

"It's very important for folks to understand that when there's more trade, there's more commerce." -George W. Bush, at the Summit of the Americas in Quebec City, April 21, 2001

"Neither in French nor in English nor in Mexican." -George W. Bush, declining to take reporters' questions during a photo op with Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien, April 21, 2001

"It is time to set aside the old partisan bickering and finger-pointing and name-calling that comes from freeing parents to make different choices for their children." -George W. Bush, on "parental empowerment in education," April 12, 2001

"I think we're making progress. We understand where the power of this country lay. It lays in the hearts and souls of Americans. It must lay in our pocketbooks. It lays in the willingness for people to work hard. But as importantly, it lays in the fact that we've got citizens from all walks of life, all political parties, that are willing to say, I want to love my neighbor. I want to make somebody's life just a little bit better." -George W. Bush, April 11, 2001

"This administration is doing everything we can to end the stalemate in an efficient way. We're making the right decisions to bring the solution to an end." -George W. Bush, April 10, 2001

"It would be helpful if we opened up ANWR (Arctic National Wildlife Refuge). I think it's a mistake not to. And I would urge you all to travel up there and take a look at it, and you can make the determination as to how beautiful that country is." -George W. Bush, at a White House Press conference, March 29, 2001

"I've coined new words, like, misunderstanding and Hispanically." -George W. Bush, speaking at the Radio & Television Correspondents dinner, March 29, 2001

"A lot of times in the rhetoric, people forget the facts. And the facts are that thousands of small businesses - Hispanically owned or otherwise - pay taxes at the highest marginal rate." -George W. Bush, speaking to the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, March 19, 2001

"But the true threats to stability and peace are these nations that are not very transparent, that hide behind the-that don't let people in to take a look and see what they're up to. They're very kind of authoritarian regimes. The true threat is whether or not one of these people decide, peak of anger, try to hold us hostage, ourselves; the Israelis, for example, to whom we'll defend, offer our defenses; the South Koreans." -George W. Bush, in a media roundtable discussion, March 13, 2001

"I do think we need for a troop to be able to house his family. That's an important part of building morale in the military." -George W. Bush, speaking at Tyndall Air Force Base in Florida, March 12, 2001

"I suspect that had my dad not been president, he'd be asking the same questions: How'd your meeting go with so-and-so? Ö How did you feel when you stood up in front of the people for the State of the Union Address-state of the budget address, whatever you call it." -George W. Bush, in an interview with the Washington Post, March 9, 2001

"Ann and I will carry out this equivocal message to the world: Markets must be open." -George W. Bush, at the swearing-in ceremony for Secretary of Agriculture Ann Veneman, March 2, 2001

"My pan plays down an unprecedented amount of our national debt." -George W. Bush, in his budget address to Congress, Feb. 27, 2001

"I have said that the sanction regime is like Swiss cheese - that meant that they weren't very effective." -George W. Bush, during a White House press conference, Feb. 22, 2001

"You teach a child to read, and he or her will be able to pass a literacy test.'' -George W. Bush, Feb. 21, 2001

"It's good to see so many friends here in the Rose Garden. This is our first event in this beautiful spot, and it's appropriate we talk about policy that will affect people's lives in a positive way in such a beautiful, beautiful part of our national - really, our national park system, my guess is you would want to call it."-George W. Bush, Feb. 8, 2001

"We're concerned about AIDS inside our White House - make no mistake about it." -George W. Bush, Feb. 7, 2001

"There's no such thing as legacies. At least, there is a legacy, but I'll never see it." -George W. Bush, speaking to Catholic leaders at the White House, Jan. 31, 2001

"I appreciate that question because I, in the state of Texas, had heard a lot of discussion about a faith-based initiative eroding the important bridge between church and state." -George W. Bush, speaking to reporters, Washington, D.C., Jan. 29, 2001

"I am mindful not only of preserving executive powers for myself, but for predecessors as well." -George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Jan. 29, 2001

"Then I went for a run with the other dog and just walked. And I started thinking about a lot of things. I was able to - I can't remember what it was. Oh, the inaugural speech, started thinking through that." -George W. Bush, in a pre-inaugural interview with U.S. News & World Report

"Redefining the role of the United States from enablers to keep the peace to enablers to keep the peace from peacekeepers is going to be an assignment." -George W. Bush, Jan. 2001

"I'm hopeful. I know there is a lot of ambition in Washington, obviously. But I hope the ambitious realize that they are more likely to succeed with success as opposed to failure." -George W. Bush, Jan. 2001

"The California crunch really is the result of not enough power-generating plants and then not enough power to power the power of generating plants." -George W. Bush, Jan. 2001

"If he's - the inference is that somehow he thinks slavery is a - is a noble institution I would - I would strongly reject that assumption - that John Ashcroft is a open-minded, inclusive person."-George W. Bush, Jan. 2001

"She's just trying to make sure Anthony gets a good meal - Antonio." -George W. Bush, on Laura Bush inviting Justice Antonin Scalia to dinner at the White House, Jan. 2001

"I want it to be said that the Bush administration was a results-oriented administration, because I believe the results of focusing our attention and energy on teaching children to read and having an education system that's responsive to the child and to the parents, as opposed to mired in a system that refuses to change, will make America what we want it to be - a more literate country and a hopefuller country." -George W. Bush, Jan. 2001

Hilico
2nd May 2003, 03:36
May I point out that cheap shots at someone who obviously suffers from some form of word-blindness are cruel, hurtful and humiliating.

Keep them coming.

Ozzy
2nd May 2003, 04:25
Keeping it balanced, Some Clinton quotes:

WASHINGTON, Nov. 9 /PRNewswire/ -- When asked what's wrong with letting local school districts decide how best to spend federal education dollars, President Clinton replied:
"Because it's not their money"

Bill Clinton during 1996 re-election campaign:
"No job can be one constant cheap thrill from morning to night...even mine, even mine".

Bill Clinton, June 13, 1996, in a speech endorsing a national effort against teen pregnancy:
"The other thing we have to do is to take seriously the role in this problem of...older men who prey on underage women...There are consequences to decisions and...one way or the other, people always wind up being held accountable."

Remarks by the President to employees of General Motors in Shreveport, Louisiana:
"When I was a younger man and had a life," stated Clinton, "I owned an El Camino pickup in the '70s. It was a real sort of Southern deal. I had Astroturf in the back. You don't want to know why, but I did."

In a post-State of the Union speech in Buffalo, NY on January 20, 1999, Bill Clinton was asked why not a tax cut if we have a surplus. Clinton's response (Source: Washington Times, January 21, 1999):
"We could give it all back to you and hope you spend it right... But ... if you don't spend it right, here's what's going to happen. In 2013 -- that's just 14 years away -- taxes people pay on their payroll for Social Security will no longer cover the monthly checks... I want every parent here to look at the young people here, and ask yourself, 'Do you really want to run the risk of squandering this surplus?' "

Excerpts from Bill Clinton's grand jury testimony:
"[I]t depends on how you define "alone" ... there were a lot of times when we were alone, but I never really thought we were."

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is"

Presidential candidate Bill Clinton, describing his opponent (Federal News Service, 10/28/92):
" Every time Bush talks about trust it makes chills run up and down my spine. The way he has trampled on the truth is a travesty of the American political system."

President William Clinton addressing the people of Philadelphia, May 28, 1993 in the Courtyard, City Hall, Philadelphia, PA.:
"You know the one thing that's wrong with this country? Everyone gets a chance to have their fair say."

From Time magazine. 6/17/96 p. 104 refers to "Juanita" a recently discovered Inca mummy
"You know, if I were a single man, I might ask that mummy out. That's a good-looking mummy!"---Bill Clinton

Bill Clinton (USA TODAY, 11 March 1993, page 2A):
"We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans ..."

Candidate Bill Clinton (The New York Times, 3/30/92):
"[W]hen I was in England I experimented with marijuana a time or two, and I didn't like it. I didn't inhale."

Ozzy

Caslance
2nd May 2003, 04:31
C'mon now, Ozzy after all:
"I think we agree, the past is over."(George W Bush Jr: May 10, 2000).

:=

Lenny
2nd May 2003, 05:18
Naaaah Ozzy, not even close! :p

Ludo
2nd May 2003, 05:23
"A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls."

"I was raised in the West. The west of Texas. It's pretty close to California. In more ways than Washington, D.C., is close to California."

"Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning?"

"What I am against is quotas. I am against hard quotas, quotas they basically delineate based upon whatever. However they delineate, quotas, I think, vulcanize society. So I don't know how that fits into what everybody else is saying, their relative positions, but that's my position."

"If you're sick and tired of the politics of cynicism and polls and principles, come and join this campaign."

"We must all hear the universal call to like your neighbor like you like to be liked yourself."

"The most important job is not to be Governor, or First Lady in my case."

"If people can judge me on the company I keep, they would judge me with keeping really good company with Laura."

:}

witchdoctor
2nd May 2003, 05:35
I was watching an old Robin Williams video the other night, and I couldn't help but wonder at the similarities between Bush Jr and old Ronnie Reagan who was the subject of much p1ss taking over his intellect and grasp on reality.

However, at least old Ron seemed like a harmless old duffer, who probably thought it was all just a good movie part and Maggie had him pretty firmly by the balls. Bush is crazy, thinks he is on a mission from God and totally beyond Phoney Tony's control.

Let's just hope Georgie boy doesn't mix up the big red button with his bedside alarm clock!:ooh:

I don't want to see that quote.

techlog
2nd May 2003, 05:39
From http://www.dubyaspeak.com
(http://www.dubyaspeak.com)

DO YOU HAVE BLACKS IN BRAZIL?
(Excerpted and adapted from article in "Der Spiegel", May 19, 2002)

It is said, that, before September 11, George W. Bush thought the Taliban were a Bavarian brass band. Now, thanks to his comprehensive knowledge, the most powerful man in the world has got into hot water again.

It was Condoleezza Rice, national security advisor, who helped her boss out of the embarassing situation. During a conversation between the two presidents, George W. Bush, 55, and Brazilian president Fernando Henrique Cardoso, 71, Bush bewildered his colleague with the question "Do you have blacks, too?"

Rice, 47, noticing how astonished the Brazilian was, saved the day by telling Bush "Mr. President, Brazil probably has more blacks than the USA. Some say it's the country with the most blacks outside Africa." Later, Cardoso commented that regarding Latin America, Bush was still in his "learning phase".

THE POUTINE INCIDENT
(Sent into DubyaSpeak by close to 20 Canadian readers. Excerpted from AP article.)

Stung by a pop quiz about foreign leaders earlier in his campaign, Republican presidential candidate George W. Bush now has fallen victim to a foreign affairs prank.

Canadians are chuckling over his on-air answer when a comic posing as a reporter made up a story that Canadian Prime Minister "Jean Poutine" had endorsed him. "I appreciate his strong statement, he understands I believe in free trade," Bush replied.

"He understands I want to make sure our relations with our most important neighbor to the north of us, the Canadians, is strong and we'll work closely together," he continued.

Canada's prime minister is Jean Chretien, not Poutine, and he has endorsed no one in U.S. politics. Poutine is a fast food meal of french fries, gravy and cheese curd popular in French-speaking Quebec.

The stunt was pulled by comic Rick Mercer from "This Hour Has 22 Minutes," a satirical TV show in Canada. Mercer, who sets up politicians on both sides of the border for laughs, buttonholed Bush at a campaign event in Michigan last month and fired several questions at him about a Prime Minister Poutine. The CBC program showed the exchange twice last week.

The real prime minister's office took the episode in stride, offering this response: "Clearly, Canada is not in the Bush leagues."

Onan the Clumsy
2nd May 2003, 05:48
How about...

"I feel a little :yuk: "

George Bush Sr

compressor stall
2nd May 2003, 10:43
On the news the other day during the Bagdhad anarchy...

"it is our goal to rebuild this city and restore chaos".

(or words to that effect...I just saw the interview on the news)

:uhoh:

T_richard
2nd May 2003, 10:56
How about this one. "CAUTION" It reflects well on GWB, so you may want to ignore it.

SCENE: The Pile WTC, NYC, NY (You remember the pile don't you?)

GWB: ... (speech)......
Fireman in crowd: "We can't hear you"
GWB: "Well I can hear you, and pretty soon the whole world is going to hear US!!!!!"

Now those of you who were trained in the Neville Chamberlin (sp) School of "Roll Over And Take It Up The A**" will object o this Bon Mot. Everyone else sees it as GREAT ORATORY!

My point is if you are going to judge someone on a couple of excerpts from 1000 speeches on the campaign trail ove 2+ years, you don't see all the picture. Stop whining and get a Life.

:D :D

Nani
2nd May 2003, 12:46
Google tells me,Lenny added G.W.Bush to all his quotes.

1-"compassionate conservative" (1999)

2-"soft bigotry of low expectations." (1999?)

3-"I am honored and humbled to stand here, where so many of America's leaders have come before me, and so many will follow. We have a place, all of us, in a long story; a story we continue, but whose end we will not see. It is the story of a new world that became a friend and liberator of the old, the story of a slave-holding society that became a servant of freedom, the story of a power that went into the world to protect but not to conquer. It is the American story; a story of flawed and fallible people, united across the generations by grand and enduring ideals. The grandest of these ideals is an unfolding American promise: that everyone belongs, that everyone deserves a chance, that no insignificant person was ever born. . . . What you do is as important as anything government does. I ask you to seek a common good beyond your comfort; to defend needed reforms against easy attacks; to serve your nation, beginning with your neighbor. I ask you to be citizens, not spectators. Responsible citizens, building communities of service and a national character." (January 20, 2001)

4-"Iíve directed the full resources of our intelligence and law enforcement communities to find those responsible and bring them to justice. We will make no distinction between the terrorists who committed these acts and those who harbor them." (September 12, 2001)

5-"I can hear you. I can hear you. The rest of the world hears you. And the people who knocked these buildings down will hear all of us soon." (September 14, 2001)

6-We will rid the world of the evil-doers. We will call together freedom loving people to fight terrorism. . . . But we need to be alert to the fact that these evil-doers still exist. We haven't seen this kind of barbarism in a long period of time. No one could have conceivably imagined suicide bombers burrowing into our society and then emerging all in the same day to fly their aircraft - fly U.S. aircraft into buildings full of innocent people - and show no remorse. This is a new kind of -- a new kind of evil. And we understand. And the American people are beginning to understand. This crusade, this war on terrorism is going to take a while. And the American people must be patient. I'm going to be patient. But I can assure the American people I am determined, I'm not going to be distracted, I will keep my focus to make sure that not only are these brought to justice, but anybody who's been associated will be brought to justice. Those who harbor terrorists will be brought to justice. It is time for us to win the first war of the 21st century decisively, so that our children and our grandchildren can live peacefully into the 21st century. (September 16, 2001)

7- "First, let me -- anybody who harbors terrorists needs to fear the United States and the rest of the free world. Anybody who houses a terrorist, encourages terrorism will be held accountable. And we are gathering all evidence on this particular crime and other crimes against freedom-loving people. . . . Again I repeat, terrorism knows no borders, it has no capital, but it does have a common ideology, and that is they hate freedom, and they hate freedom-loving people. And they particularly hate America at this moment. But many leaders understand that what happened in New York City and Washington, D.C. could have easily have happened in their capital, as well." (September 19, 2001)

8-"We are not deceived by their pretenses to piety. We have seen their kind before. They are the heirs of all the murderous ideologies of the 20th century. By sacrificing human life to serve their radical visions -- by abandoning every value except the will to power -- they follow in the path of fascism, and Nazism, and totalitarianism. And they will follow that path all the way, to where it ends: in history's unmarked grave of discarded lies." (September 20, 2001)

9-"Well, my message is, is that if you harbor a terrorist, you're a terrorist. If you feed a terrorist, you're a terrorist. If you develop weapons of mass destruction that you want to terrorize the world, you'll be held accountable. . . . If anybody harbors a terrorist, they're a terrorist. If they fund a terrorist, they're a terrorist. If they house terrorists, they're terrorists. I mean, I can't make it any more clearly to other nations around the world. If they develop weapons of mass destruction that will be used to terrorize nations, they will be held accountable." (November 26, 2001)

10-"States like these [North Korea, Iran and Iraq], and their terrorist allies, constitute an axis of evil, arming to threaten the peace of the world. By seeking weapons of mass destruction, these regimes pose a grave and growing danger. They could provide these arms to terrorists, giving them the means to match their hatred. They could attack our allies or attempt to blackmail the United States. In any of these cases, the price of indifference would be catastrophic. . . . My budget includes the largest increase in defense spending in two decades -- because while the price of freedom and security is high, it is never too high. Whatever it costs to defend our country, we will pay. . . . We have no intention of imposing our culture. But America will always stand firm for the non-negotiable demands of human dignity: the rule of law; limits on the power of the state; respect for women; private property; free speech; equal justice; and religious tolerance. America will take the side of brave men and women who advocate these values around the world, including the Islamic world, because we have a greater objective than eliminating threats and containing resentment. We seek a just and peaceful world beyond the war on terror. . . . In a single instant, we realized that this will be a decisive decade in the history of liberty, that we've been called to a unique role in human events. Rarely has the world faced a choice more clear or consequential. Our enemies send other people's children on missions of suicide and murder. They embrace tyranny and death as a cause and a creed. We stand for a different choice, made long ago, on the day of our founding. We affirm it again today. We choose freedom and the dignity of every life." (January 29, 2002)

compressor stall
2nd May 2003, 13:35
And by the same logic, a couple of "good" quotes does not a great orator make. :rolleyes:

Caslance
2nd May 2003, 16:09
Like almost all present-day leaders, Dubya has scriptwriters who compose all of his "set-piece" speeches and assess every phrase for impact on the immediate audience and suitability as a sound-bite on the TV news.

The actual delivery is rehearsed and polished at the hands of meia professionals- the amount of rehearsal depending on the importance of the speech - until it is deemed fit for broadcast.

Or did you not know that, Nani?

No, it's his off-the-cuff remarks that are a better indicator of the man, such as:
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier...just as long as I'm the dictator..."(President-Elect George W Bush Jr: Washington DC, 18/12/2000)

As for getting a life - nothing wrong with hacking away at the legs of the great and mighty - "Remember, thou art mortal" and all that.;)

FEBA
2nd May 2003, 22:03
"They misunderestimated me."ó

djk
2nd May 2003, 23:06
"I'm going to extend childcare to everyone, even those without children"

and my all time favourite

"Don't mess with Texas!" :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

;)

witchdoctor
2nd May 2003, 23:17
Let's not forget his reference to the "Pakis" (I kid you not) when discussing the troubles between India and Pakistan.

What a tool!

ft
3rd May 2003, 06:03
During a campaign debate with Gore:
"If we are an arrogant nation, they will resent us. If we are humble but strong, they will welcome us"

Too bad for all of us, Americans and other citizens of the world, that he did not listen. :(

Sorry about the politics.

BTW, does the upside-down book and the binoculars count as quotes? :D

Cheers,
Fred

witchdoctor
3rd May 2003, 06:24
From 2D-TV (a rather brilliant cartoon sketch show), so obviously not real (in case any Americans object);)

Dubya just hit big red button and killed Santa and his reindeer with some kind of Son of Star Wars laser thingy. Putting dead reindeer antlers on head:

"Look General, I'm a lion.....moo, moo. Heh, heh, heh. Heh, heh, heh."

Probably too close for comfort.

:ooh:

Kwasi_Mensa
3rd May 2003, 07:36
"The British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa. Our intelligence sources tell us that he has attempted to purchase high-strength aluminum tubes suitable for nuclear weapons production. Saddam Hussein has not credibly explained these activities. He clearly has much to hide. "

State of the Union, January 28, 2003

DC Meatloaf
3rd May 2003, 12:12
Since we're citing fictional quotes now, too, how about from Saturday Night Live's brilliant debate sketch during the campaign?

Jim Lehrer: Gov. Bush, Vice-President Gore, in closing I'd like you to pick one word that sums up your campaign for President.

Gore: Lockbox.

Bush: Strategery.

I understand that there's a door in the Bush WH offices marked "Strategery" in honor of the sketch. :)

Nani
3rd May 2003, 12:25
Or did you not know that, Nani?

:oh: Didn't know that.....Well,I'll be! ;)

46Driver
3rd May 2003, 12:40
Those SNL skits were some of the funniest I have ever seen - they skewered Bush, Clinton, and Gore without mercy.