PDA

View Full Version : CAA FCL question

RRAAMJET
1st May 2003, 04:56
Hey folks....

Just sent an e-mail to the people at Flt Crew Licensing ref. what I need to do to renew my expired CAA tickets. I've been flying abroad for the last decade on L-1011, 747-400, 727, md-80, 757,767 and 777. Class 1 med. etc. Current HKG and FAA ATPL's...

With all the wobbles in the US at the moment, just trying to cover all the bases and make all options available worldwide.

So, I went to the SRG website (which is hopeless), read everything, and followed the FAQ's etc and fired off an e-mail requesting, I suppose, an assessment (just like in the old days when you sent off a sheet of paper to the CAA and they sent back a list of requirements).
What I got back was a short reply with a link back to the website, sample JAR questions area!!! Thank you very much...I know full well what a shuttle valve does, or that a spoiler is on the upper surface of the wing....

Folks, any of you out there that could provide me with plain English instructions on what to do next? Any CAA employees, in particular, feel free to e-mail me.

I know the FAA is lacking in many areas, but the local FSDO system is infinitely more user freindly than the CAA website, or whoever replied so hopelessly to my original request. It was as though my e-mail arrived at the desk of someone who never flies...tell me that couldn't be so...could it?!!! :rolleyes:

Maximum
1st May 2003, 20:42
I'm afraid you're not alone in your experience with their response to e-mails. On two occasions recently I've had one e-mail totally ignored, and with the other after a four week delay I was sent (by snail mail) a photocopy of a page of the JAR's with no further info - the very page I needed more detailed info on in the first place. Very poor.

As to your query, I'm sorry, but I don't know the definitive answer. However, I've a horrible feeling they'll require you to do far more than you need to in view of your experience. Apologies if that sounds overly pessimistic, and I hope for your sake it's not the case, but in my opinion JAA legislation has just heaped a whole new layer of bureacracy on what was an already restrictive licencing process.

Hope I'm wrong and it all works out easier than expected - good luck.

Alex Whittingham
3rd May 2003, 00:42
The CAA have put all their licensing information into a document called LASORS here (http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/licensing/fcl/document.asp?groupid=292). If your CAA tickets have expired you might find you can still convert them as described in SEction A page 13. I'm a little doubtful about this route because the requirements seem to be aimed at a pilot flying with a JAR operator, which you are not

If you can't do that then you will basically be converting an ICAO ATPL to a JAA ATPL according to LASORS Section G page 5. Assuming you have more than 3000hrs on aircraft of more than 30T including 1500 pic you will need to complete form 680 here (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/FORSRG1103.pdf) and send it off to FCL with the appropriate fee (about £80 I think). They will then reply that you need to sit two papers, Air Law and Human Factors, and take a skills test on the aircraft you are rated on, or in a JAA approved sim for that type if you can find one. The skills test is a combination IR and handling check.

RRAAMJET
3rd May 2003, 07:22
Thank you, Alex, a concise and pointed reply. Now why couldn't the CAA have a standard e-mail reply on file like that?

Cheers, now I know where to look....:8

expedite_climb
4th May 2003, 01:02
Come on guys they arent completely useless. Email much easier to send than a letter. I emailed them on 25th april to say i needed a new licence cover as mine had split. No questions asked, it arrived today. I dont think thats a bad service...

Maximum
4th May 2003, 01:18
.............well how could anyone argue with that? := ;)

nollocks
10th May 2003, 22:50
expedite_climb

How much did they charge you for that?

expedite_climb
11th May 2003, 02:58
zip, nowt, dada, nothing.

I wouldnt have paid if they asked. If you pay 174 or whatever it is for issue of a green book, and two years later it falls to bits its shoddy merchandise