View Full Version : Favourite Cabin Crew Uniform

BAe 146-100
1st May 2003, 04:02
Hi,

I was wondering what do you think the best cabin crew uniform? My favourite is the new Monarch uniform and the Bmi one.

BAe 146-100

jmc_757-200
1st May 2003, 05:00
Hi,
Heres my favourite 5:

1) bmi British Midland Female Uniform

2) British Airways Female Uniform

3) New Monarch Airlines Female Unifrom

4) Aer Lingus Female Uniform

5) Ryanair Female Uniform

Thanks

jmc_757-200

airbourne
1st May 2003, 07:31
The old Ryanair uniform is just lovely. Fits me perfectly too!!!! :)

RRAAMJET
1st May 2003, 08:36
The Emirates ladies....

closely followed by fishnet stocki....never mind....:E

qfmike737
1st May 2003, 11:40
I think i have see some of the Airforce 1 crew before and their uniform looks totally cool!

For the ladies I think the Singapore airlines uniform looks nice.

SFG
1st May 2003, 15:19
If you go back a few years, prior to the murder by - sorry merger with - BA the British Caledonian tartan was by far the best. Also the Lion Rampant logo on the aircraft stood out above, probably, all others. Remember we're talking BCal and not the recent 'imitation' that went on to become JMC.

Rgds

freightdoggy dog
1st May 2003, 16:46
jet2 girls for me baby, esp tania 2 car sick:ok:

Red Wine
1st May 2003, 20:20
The ladies in Jet Airways have got it down pat......

pollypocket36
1st May 2003, 23:06
Virgin uniform definately. V smart

Ozzy
1st May 2003, 23:17
Ooerr, did I type something against the rules with my link to the Hooter Air website regarding their uniforms? My post has disappeared.

Ozzy

Ozzy dear, try posting it on JB. This is a Forum for Pros. I didn't want to move the whole thread to JB because the rest definitely belongs here.

Flyblue

BAe 146-100
1st May 2003, 23:23
Hi,

I wonder why that happened :rolleyes: ;).

Regards
BAe 146-100

flyblue
1st May 2003, 23:35
I'll try to spell it slowly for you BAe 146-100. Not all the members appreciate that kind of "humor" that definitely doesn't belong here.

May I quote Danny here on the same subject on another Forum?
If you can't keep your replies above infantile humour on a reasonably serious forum then you shouldn't be posting here. I can understand juveniles with pimples and rampaging hormones finding it difficult to hold back with those kinds of sniggers at the mention of a naked woman but I expect the rest of the posters on here to be able to differentiate between news and The Benny Hill Show.
We have JB for this, and you are welcome to post your jokes there.

Flyblue

Ozzy
1st May 2003, 23:45
Got it flyblue but I did not say anything about naked women and the fact is that Hooters Air and its uniforms is indeed news. It's a different airline with a different approach to CRM and thus the different uniforms reinforcing the brand of its restaurants and bars. So I think someone went over the top here on removing my initial post. I have seen many examples of posting on CC that has "stronger" humour than what I posted. Hey, but it's your gig, but why not have another think about it. No offence taken tho' :confused:

Ozzy

flyblue
2nd May 2003, 00:02
Ozzy,

I agree that that was indeed news. What didn't fit was the kind of "infantile" (to quote our Boss) remarks it generated, unfortunately. That's why it wasn't removed as soon as it was posted. And I didn't want to move the whole thread because it is of a CC interest.
If you want you can re-post but bearing in mind that it is a professional CC Forum and all forms of humor that might offend people should be avoided. Not all female CC appreciate to be considered sex objects as per the CC stereotype:*
As I said, we have JB for a good laugh.
Hope this answers your question :)

Regards,

Flyblue

BAe 146-100
2nd May 2003, 00:05
Hi,

Sorry flyblue. :(

Regards
BAe 146-100

Ozzy
2nd May 2003, 00:07
flyblue I hear you, understood. Did not mean to imply CC as SObjs. Those interested can do a Google to find the link if they want. Still, it is innovative!!

Ozzy

Jetlegs
2nd May 2003, 00:50
Ozzie, using t!ts to sell wares & services is as old as advertising itself. And us males have been falling for the trick at least since roman times.
Innovative? I think not! ;)

captcat
2nd May 2003, 01:46
Ozzie what do you mean innovative?
Primitive is more like it! Do you realise that the primary recruitment requirement is to have (as Dave Barry would say) ehm, big bazongas? You really think that big knockers should be required for CC? What would people think if the Director of a Hospital only hired female Doctors with a DD size, or male Doctors with a nice butt? Don't you think it would be called discrimination?
When you apply to BA, they ask you not to send your picture, to avoid discrimination, and you're allowed to apply until the age of retirement. In US many airlines don't want to know your age, to avoid age discrimination. It happens whenever a profession is taken seriously.
If someone wanted to have me as a CC just because of my looks, I would definitely feel offended, because they are just an accessory to my person. It took me years of various kind of training and experience to get where I am. I am a professional Flight Attendant, and more than a pair of boobs.

HON
2nd May 2003, 02:15
I quite agree, yes cabin crew have to look tidy & professional as they are the 'face' of an airline but for people to go commenting on things like 'oh she has big boobs' and things like that is utterly stuped. Cabin Crew should be respected for who they are - to look after passinger safety first and not commmented on in this derogirity mannor.

TightSlot
2nd May 2003, 02:18
My favourite uniform would be one where the bloody buttons don't fall off all the time!

Ozzy
2nd May 2003, 02:42
whoa whoa!!!!!!!!!! If you look at my posts I NEVER said:

HON 'oh she has big boobs'

captcat that big knockers should be required for CC?

you folks said that!!!! I was commenting on the UNIFORM darnit.

As for innovative - it is innovative for cabin crew - name another airline that permits t-shirts and shorts.

It is you folks that interpreted my post otherwise, so what does that say about you? :}

Ozzy

captcat
2nd May 2003, 03:11
Ozzy,
I was not particularly referring to your post ! :)

As for innovative - it is innovative for cabin crew - name another airline that permits t-shirts and shorts
But, they don't permit, you cannot do otherwise! ;)

BAe 146-100
2nd May 2003, 03:11
Hi,

I agree with Ozzy :ok:.

Regards
BAe 146-100

missleadfoot
2nd May 2003, 22:22
I have to say the best uniform has to be the last ANSETT AUSTRALIA uniform.

Comments recieved from other airline crew and airport staff was amazing. It was stylish, smart, and even the international girls wore the hats. Well recieved everywhere. Unfortunately it wont be seen again.

A300Man
2nd May 2003, 23:31
bmi British Midland - simple, elegant and smart.

Evacu8
3rd May 2003, 01:32
I would have to say the Virgin Blue uniform looks great !! But am afraid these old hips wouldnt look that good in it :O

Saw the new BA uniform a few weeks ago in LHR... apparently on trial, it looked great!

I dont know what Qantas has against us crew, but none of the QF Airlines' uniforms look good.

The Longahul/Shorthaul uniform is ugly, uncomfortable (hot) and not very flattering. The Aussie Airlines one is just wrong :yuk: :yuk: , and the Qantaslink one is just an uglier version of the QF one !!!

But at the end of the day, I'm paid to wear it..... as far as I am concerned, as long as they keep payin me I'll wear a monkey suit to work, if they tell me to ;)

Missleadfoot, have to agree with you, the last AN uniform was great, but what you said about it never been seen again... a friend of mine went to Skywest in WA after the collapse of AN, she says they still have that uniform, including the hats .... so it is still in the air :)

Southend Geeza
3rd May 2003, 04:24
bmibaby has got to be the most glamorous.

We wear lovely T.Shirts and bright red puffa jackets!

Try and beat that for glamour!!: :hmm:

BAe 146-100
3rd May 2003, 05:59
Hi,

Thanks for your replies. What do you think of the current British Airways uniform?

Regards
BAe 146-100

katiecorrigan
3rd May 2003, 19:50
The new Air 2000 uniform for cabin crew just implemented is horrid! The girls wear a blouse that looks like a bad case of tie-die (not sure of the spelling), starts off turquoise/jade and descends down into pink (or is the other way round?). Skirts and jackets are pink.

But the male cabin crew have to wear bright pink shirts, although the navy suit is quite snazzy, just a shame the shirt lets it all down.

Other male staff in the First Choice group get to wear a turqouise/jade colour shirt which isn't too bad.

Who on earth decided to put male cc in bright pink???!!!!

KatieC.

jmccrew
3rd May 2003, 21:24
Going Back about 22 years but Braniff had a real cool uniform it was all suede jackets ,waistcoats and trousers never knew how they kept it clean :confused: .With Regards to an earlier post Caledonian Airways had the same uniform as BCal and whilst not BCal it was worn to the same high standard .... Thanfully the JMC uniform is now gone ( mine in a bin bag at home :yuk: ) but feel very smart in my new Thomas Cook one :O

WhiteDevil
3rd May 2003, 21:37
jmccrew

is there any chance you can enlighten me as to the differences between the uniforms? I have never flown on JMC or TCX (yet) but am guessing if the CC uniform of JMC was a bad as the aircraft livery its good its gone :ok:

WhiteDevil

sweety
3rd May 2003, 21:37
I saw Jet2 CC a few days ago - I think their uniform is very smart and nice, I like the scarf *thingie*.

Monarch looks nice, too.

Unlucky for me I don't work for any of them...:{

Bob Upndown
3rd May 2003, 23:13
The old Virgin Atlantic female uniform was great.

When you saw the crew arriving at the airport en-masse, they looked sensational.

Sadly, I fear that the new Rocha garb doesn't quite have the same effect. That said the new chaps uniform is far better than the old grey gear.

Cheers,
Bob

PS - everyone's still sensational though :D

myflybhx
5th May 2003, 03:02
Well I really like our uniform at MYT, just not to keen on the waistcoat.

Tart with the cart
5th May 2003, 21:16
a few people have said bmi. Our uniform isn't bad but it's boring! I'm not too keen on the hats though! Still wearing a shirt and skirt suit is better than a long dress!

I like BA uniforms and their new ones are lovely! Including the hat but without Concorde I don't think they will be worn. I like Virgin's Rocha uniforms but not the old ones. Emirates uniform is nice as so is Aer Lingus. The new Monarch one is nice.

Don't like the old Air 2000 one, the Easyjet one or the old Airtours one. The Britannia one isn't that great either-what's up with those hats?

chicken legs
7th May 2003, 02:02
Tart with cart - Britannia haven't worn hats for years now, though if its the red berets you are referring to then yes, i agree, they were vile!

Look out for the new Britannia uniform being trialled over next few months - a vast improvement. I love it!!:ok:

Balboy
7th May 2003, 04:21
Spot on Chicken Legs....

The new Britannia uniform is by far the nicest uniform I have seen for years. I would love to post a picture but i'm not sure of the legality of doing that...( remember when Air2000 pics were posted...they were removed).

Am I allowed to do so?

TightSlot
7th May 2003, 05:43
wouldn't risk it balboy, if i was u - sort of thing could bend them out of shape and generate a visit from corporate orcs and goblins if u get caught! :}

Sagittarius Rising
7th May 2003, 05:55
Has to be CityJet-tragic that they have to wear Air France-C'est la vie!!

ukhomerj
7th May 2003, 16:24
Had to throw ten pence worth in here- Air 2000 uniform. SHOCKING pink, looked OK on the ladies, but I pitied the poor bloke in his shocking pink shirt.

Best ever was Malaysian Airlines about 5 or 6 years ago, fantastic. Or was it the dark skinned maidens inside who oozed sensuality...............must get myself togther now, work to do.

jmccrew
7th May 2003, 21:39
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/flyerbtn/index.html
here are two pics of the new tcx uniform :ok:

Cliff
7th May 2003, 21:55
Best current uniforms:

JAS Japan Air System
Kuwait Airways
Martinair
Air Comet Plus
Qatar Airways
Icelandair
Asiana
TAP Air Portugal
Saudia

Best "oldies":

British Caledonain
United Airlines 1968
KLM 1975
Air France 1970's
Iberia 1970's
SAS
Japan Airlines 1970's and 1980's

For more airline uniforms, please visit my website at www.uniformfreak.com.
More than 230 different uniforms from various airlines.

Enjoy!

TightSlot
7th May 2003, 22:07
I can't quite put my finger on it, but there is something slightly disturbing about the site above....

:oh:

Cliff
7th May 2003, 22:18
TightSlot, what is so disturbing about the site????

Onan the Clumsy
7th May 2003, 22:46
This is actually a serious reply...

name another airline that permits t-shirts and shorts

Ok, for ten points, it was uniform, not just permited, the colour was orange - including the hot pants and the white belt matched the gogo boots.

Well?

btw, we're talking early seventies I believe.

TightSlot
7th May 2003, 22:52
I don't know, CM65 - that's why I said I can't put my finger on it - maybe something to do with the mannequins?

Ozzy
7th May 2003, 23:12
I realise "permited" was the wrong word it should have been "defines the uniform as" forgive me on that.

My point is that this is the Hooters BRAND. A brand is terribly difficult to establish and maintain, ask any consumer marketing manager. Brand is precious. Brand is everything - look at Coca Cola and Pepsi - they fight each other by their brand - they sell the same sugared water. When a consumer oriented company is acquired, there's a thing on the balance sheet called "goodwill" and depending upon the brand, that item is either very large or not.

Therefore, the fact that Hooters reinforces its brand in the airline business is good business sense. Folks that don't want to work there don't have to.

Ozzy

Onan the Clumsy
7th May 2003, 23:17
I thought uf.com was quite an interesting site and there was obviously a lot of work behind it. Maybe TS is just worried you're sitting in your appartment with no furniture and no shades on the lighbulbs, surrounded by all those mannequins and no food in the fridge.

:}

flyblue
8th May 2003, 03:44
Tightslot! It's also my old uniforms you are talking about! :{
I think Cliff is doing a terrific job on keeping the memory of what has been, and whit only his own resources (=the mannequins). One day we'll realise the value of his passion and work, I am sure.
Most of those old uniform just are lost, because nobody cares! Try and find a book about airline uniforms, and you'll see what I mean!

Cliff
8th May 2003, 04:55
TightSlot, next time I will ask Pamela Anderson to be my new model. Would that be less disturbing?:p

Onan the Clumsy......Southwest Airlines?????:rolleyes:

Flyblue, you are the best!:ok:

TightSlot
8th May 2003, 05:11
CM65 - LOL :D :D - no to Pammy, she's not my taste

I find mannequins are easier to deal with than real stewardesses - they don't answer back!

Just out of interest, how do you get all these uni's?- we always get dire warnings about disposing of uni items so that they can't be re-used

homesick rae
8th May 2003, 12:02
BCAL GALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Especially since iwas seeing a BCAL GAL and one morning as she was about to walk out the hotel door...that kilt...well...you know....:O

Onan the Clumsy
9th May 2003, 04:26
CM56 - you are indeed correct.

Cliff
9th May 2003, 05:07
TightSlot........Is Cindy Crawford your taste or Christy Turlington perhaps? ;)

Onan the Clumsy
9th May 2003, 11:54
CM65

Seing as you did so well on the last question, for fifty points, what was the regulation nail polish colour for TWA in the 60s and early 70s?

Bonus question, who was the manufacturer?

Cliff
9th May 2003, 18:27
Onan the Clumsy,

Regulation nail polish color for TWA in the 60's and 70's:

"If used, nailpolish should be clear or complimentary to the skin color".

Does that make sense?:confused:

TightSlot
9th May 2003, 19:32
"If used, nailpolish should be clear or complimentary to the skin color".

Does that make sense?

I suppose it does providing your skin colour is some shade of bright red!

Cliff
9th May 2003, 20:24
TightSlot, maybe the TWA stewardesses in the 1960's and 1970's were very shy girls and they blushed very easily........:\

As far as I know the TWA stewardesses were not allowed to wear red nail polish in those years. I found the information in the TWA Personal Appearance/Uniform Regulations Book from the 1960's.

Onan the Clumsy
9th May 2003, 21:58
I bow to your superior reference, but... :D ...perhaps my time frame is incorrect. I have it on good authority that Revlon made a colour called Persian Mellon and that was treated as part of the uniform.

Cliff
9th May 2003, 23:27
Onam the Clumsy, unfortunately, I can't find any information about Revlon in the TWA 1960's uniform regulations. Thanks for the information!

Do I get any points? 20 or maybe 30? :ugh:

Onan the Clumsy
10th May 2003, 00:19
The very fact that you have the regs is, I think, worth at least 40 points.

flyblue
12th May 2003, 14:42
Next month Air France will try the new uniforms by Christian Lacroix on a group of Guinea CC ;)
Cliff I sent you our AF Briefing Magazine with an article about that Old Uniform Exhib in AF that I was not able to take on picture :)

Cliff
13th May 2003, 13:36
Thank you Flyblue!!! What would I do without you?

missleadfoot
24th May 2003, 15:23
Whats going on with our uniforms these days, especially in Australia. We are seeing less of the scarfes and ties and more of a cusual look. Although I craved this look when I was in a suit, I am really missing the Flight Attendant look. Call me old fashioned but i love the look of Flight Attendants that actually look like Flight Attendants. Hats, scarfes, ties, jackets, the lot. Old Pan Am, old TWA, now they were real Flight Attendants. Unfortunately my hips wont make it into any of those uniforms so I'm pretty happy to wear anything they give me, but the glam has gone. BA apparently is reviving this and if I could get a job with them I would, just for the uniform!! Well done BA!!

Favourites are:- well it's a hard one, Ansett International beats all without a doubt. Looking at them in the airport got me envious!!

Worst:- thats an easy one,

*Any major US carrier. The United "smock" looks like something from Coles checkout. Terrible, albeit probably practicle.

*Singapore and Malaysian. The day I can buy my uniform in a market for 5 bucks is the day I refuse to wear it.

*Asiana. Bad colours on the sleeves. No offence but i thought the circus had come to town.

*Korean Air. Too military and old fashioned.

*Air New Zealand. Well that has to be the one. It's a terrible combination of bad taste against badder taste. And the bowler hat to top it off, well, I rest my case.

FougaMagister
24th May 2003, 17:59
Best c/c uniform? Most definitely Air France - well, they actually have FOUR different uniforms, all very smart, and at least they don't wear the bloody tabards that airlines in Britain seem to find indispensable - and that make the F/As look like maids instead of the aviation professionnals they are...

Cheers.

Shamen
24th May 2003, 18:29
What a great Post!

Well I agree things are not the way they used to be regarding uniforms. Too many companies these days are intent on cost saving rather than an impressive look.

I am not a lover of United's uniform - very boring indeed and I have to say I cant stand Easyjets. Although BM uniforms used to look quite good, as well as the company I work for (Cathay Pacific). A couple of years ago they revamped the girls image and I think its one of the best Uniforms around or am I being biased? :)

http://www.cathaypacific.com/popup/0,,36957-1,00.html

SkySista
29th Nov 2004, 07:38
Thought I'd bring this back up as it's always an interesting topic....

Evacu8 & missleadfoot, you'll be sad to hear (if you haven't already) that the old AN uniform is no more :( XR crew have now started wearing their new duds (matched to the new XR livery of course)

navy & sky blue, a bit of a retro look. I had only seen pictures before today, (have to admit didn't think much of the dress) but on the way into the airport earlier a very pretty blonde FA was walking next to me wearing the new dress - must say I quite like the unusual 'pointy' sleeves on it.... and it looks better than it did in the pictures (though may have had something to do with the girl wearing it :p )

What I want to know is, 'do they still have hats?' Would be a shame if they didn't :{ - even the old AN cabin crew hat would look good with sky blue in place of the yellow.....

www.thewest.com.au/20040331/news/general/tw-news-general-home-sto122414-pic23644.html+Skywest+new+uniform+pictures&hl=en (http://www.google.com.au/search?q=cache:2XVOAUC2FVsJ:[url)XR uniform[/URL]

My favorite uniforms would be:

Ansett Australia (so classy!)
Pan Am 60's blue with the pillbox hat
Scandinavian Sky blue uniform

and can't remember the others!!!

Air NZ's blue/green is just VILE!!! and EasyJet.... there is such a thing as tooooo casual!! The orange skirt/white blouse was fine, but the daggy raincoat & polo..... eugh! :yuk

Sky

MonarchA330
29th Nov 2004, 09:18
The Monarch Uniform.

Maybe Im just biased, but the mens stuff fits like a glove, looks great and is actually made out of quality material. The girls stuff looks great aswell, especially the skirts.
M330

capt.cynical
29th Nov 2004, 09:53
I have searched the whole post and am amazed that there is not one mention of the famous " Qantas PUCCI"
It was great in its day.
Even looked good on a "bag lady" in Darlinghurst not long after it was superseded.:p :)

wawkrk
29th Nov 2004, 10:01
Not sure if anyone else has made the point.
But is there not a safety issue involved if cabin crew cannot be distinguished from the passengers in an emergency?
I have seen tee shirts and jeans and more recently denim with Air Europa.Particularly with the male uniform. I was puzzled as to why this guy who was a passenger was pushing the trolley, I did not realise until the end of the flight that he was cabin staff.

lexxity
29th Nov 2004, 11:52
the worst are: bmi baby, that fell out of bed and grabbed the first thing i found chic just doesn't cut it and austrian, the red tights, so not attractive on anyone!
funny that everyone likes the bmi uniform, on the whole we don't, Jaeger and safety pins, hmm classy! Ah well maybe we'll change our minds when they roll the new one out :ugh:

MrSydney
29th Nov 2004, 21:03
I have to agree the Air New Zealand is just vile but they are being replaced sometime next year.

Female FAs on SQ and MH look great but the male uniforms are just terrible - those jackets!

UA and NW are horrible ...look very cheap and not flattering on the Granny FAS.

A380-boy
30th Nov 2004, 05:56
Remember the movie the 5th Element?

Remember the flight attendants uniforms in that??? they were AWESOME! espeacially the one that checked in the "CORBIN DALLAS"

Great work done by Jean Paul Gaultier!

If only!

hottowel
30th Nov 2004, 13:31
I am biased as I love my KLM cityhopper uniform. Its comfy navy blue and love my strippey backed waist coat!

jettesen
30th Nov 2004, 18:13
skysista, since when did easyjet have orange skirts and white blouses????? or even polos???? NEVER

The easyjet uniform is practical and thats all thats needed. Where you got the orange skirts from i hate to think

LHR_777
30th Nov 2004, 18:51
Got my new BA CSA (ground) uniform today.....it's gorgeous! Really nice quality fabrics, well cut, well designed and pretty sharp looking, if I do say so myself!

My initial uniform issue consisted of the following...

6 x shirts (short or long sleeve, my choice)
2 x suit jackets (have you seen those gorgeous red linings?)
3 x suit trousers (half-lined like proper suit trousers)
2 x clip-on ties. (clip-on for health and safety reasons)
1 x raincoat (lovely warm lining for cold mornings on the ramp)
1 x tie-bar (featuring the BA 'speedmarque')
2 x Brevet's (the little crown thingy worn above the name badge)
1 x pair of charcoal leather gloves (It gets cold at LHR!)

Quite a substantial uniform, and much more that I had at American back in the early 90's.

CM65 - fantastic site, my wife and I absolutely love it!

SkySista
1st Dec 2004, 02:54
skysista, since when did easyjet have orange skirts and white blouses????? or even polos???? NEVER

Hmmm. i may be mistaken, but i am sure on an old series of Airline that screened here in Aus one of the girls was wearing an orange skirt and a white blouse. i think she was a trainee. unless i am thinking of another LCC.....

Edit: okay, I know what happened - I was thinking orange shirt, not skirt...... but I am sure really early on they had orange skirt? :confused: .... anyway...... they have had polos, use this link and click on "EasyJet":

(Hope you don't mind me linking, Cliff......)
Uniform Freak.com (http://www.uniformfreak.com/index2a.html)

As for FAs wearing shorts, didn't Canair girls wear khaki shorts and a hunting vest type thing?

Agree, Cliff's FA uniform site is a great thing, I reckon a book should be next..... interesting for both people who like uniforms and students of fashion history!! :ok:

Sky

jettesen
1st Dec 2004, 06:09
i've been with easy jet since day one, we've never had orange skirts

Started off with orange sweatshirts and black levis 501 / shorts with doc martin boots, then went on to orange ben sharman shirts and levis. We then had orange blouses and shirts, and now a new uniform, orange and grey.

Not sure who had the orange skirt/white blouse.

Polo shirts yes, polo neck - no

Bodum
1st Dec 2004, 23:43
Favorites: KLM, BA, Ansett Australia.

Worst: Qantas. Anyone agree? Our new uniform, now a year old is disgusting. Having just experienced two days of 40 degree heat it wasnt good to wear. Not at all comfortable like the last one and god help the poor buggers wearing the regional version. Cant imagine what thats like, with no APU/Aerobridge :yuk:

On another note, has anyone noticed that our J class Cabins with Skybed are somewhat depressing? Grey Curtains, Dark Grey Carpet, Dark Grey Skybeds with grey seat Fabric..and then the Cabin Crew in Black and Brown. Very dull and very boring, what happened to colour? At least the CSM red tie injects some colour, but still looks ordinary.

Hopefully with the airline beginning yet again another Cabin refurbishment soon, they will bring some colour back in :ok:

Gareth Blackstock
2nd Dec 2004, 15:05
I do like the new Britannia (Thompson.co.uk) uniform and the new Monarch uniform.

However I did see a rather delightful young lady in a British Midland posing uniform in Club magazine a few years ago, always thought that was quite good as well!!!

Gaz

pax britanica
2nd Dec 2004, 16:40
Firstly well done to CM 65 -the uniforms are genuinely part of the colour and history of civil aviation. Air Museums and places like the BAA visitor centre at LHR use crew uniforms as part of their displays so why not a dedicated effort.

Uniforms reflect national and company traits well and in a small way are an interesting social commentry reflecting changing fashions, views on gender issues and marketing over time.

I don't want to be unkind to the moderator who commented that he found it a bit disturbing, because moderators on pprune do a great job, but in this case I did think his comments a bit unfair.

Growing up next to LHR in the sixties and following that with years of pax travel I have a few favourites myself

Modern Style -Lauda Air

Classic Style --ie pre 1980 the Scandy pale blue one (yes it does go niceley with blonde hair )

Worst combination-- Virgin code share token hosties on Malaysian airways flights- awful retro grey or garish red horribly disrupting the Asian harmony ambiance-they would have been less out of place naked

Most blantantly exploitive/ non PC (leaving aside Hooters) had to be the southern belles of National Aahlines who flew LHR to Miami in the sixties and seventies, Aside from the -" Ahh 'm Candy Fly Me " line in their ads the planes ( DC 8s and !0s) had the girls names B17 nose art style under the flightdeck windows -we wont see that again AND it predated Richard B by 15 years.

A really interesting and fun thread

PB

Cornholeeo
3rd Dec 2004, 02:54
At the airline I fly for, there never used to be any hosties... Yes I know this is a shock for you but it's true.

Anyway we expanded, acquired larger aircraft and eventually hosties became a requirement so a "Head Hostie" was hired to come up with a recruitment plan.

One of the pilots soon became "friendly" with her and the others would regularly parade through her office to say "Hi" on the way to and from the aircraft.

Often, she had piles........... of applications for the position of hostie from countless hopefuls on the desk in front of her and we would all provide input, normally based solely on the 7x9 glossies provided, on whom should be hired.

Fortunately this Head Hostie was a team-player and our advice was often taken. So, flush with success as recruiters, some of the more creative amongst our ranks took upon themselves the task of assisting in uniform design.

By far, the most popular suggestion was thigh-length leather boots and a throw-away one-piece Glad-wrap outfit with a low cut top.

In the end, wowserism prevailed and the best we could do was to influence one of the two shirt (blouse????) options. This one became the favourite of the pilots and hosties and featured a top button somewhere down around the wearer's (usually pierced) belly-button.

We have a good time at *********. Unlike the rat.

Ranjha83
5th Dec 2004, 11:10
Emirates and Singapore Airline uniforms are really kool and look nice!! :E

OZcabincrew
5th Dec 2004, 12:54
I quite like the Qantas uniform. However for the girls, certain unifoms only look good on certain people. I saw a lady who was rather "big boned" and she had the black dress on with that really thin belt!!! It was not a good look, maybe the pants and vest option would've been better? I think the QF uniform for the guys is ok too. I agree and have noticed that the cabin does look a bit dull. I suppose the old red scarfes and ties brightened things up a bit. As said, i wonder when the next uniform is on its way? haha.

I don't mind the Emirates uniform but i know of a lot of people that don't like it, i think sometimes all of the beige is a bit too much. As for Singapore Airlines, i think it looks nice, but as said previously, you can buy that uniform anywhere! i saw a lady at the local shopping centre with the exact same one on the other day! Cathay look ok. Air NZ, nope! i didn't think South African Airways looked that bad? I have to agree that the Ansett uniforms did look very smart, especially the international gals with their hats!

Oz

L2 Door
9th Dec 2004, 18:58
Gulf Air's lastest uniform's are really smart and professional, they knock the sock's off Emirates, with their dodgy brown handbags and shoes, and let's face it, a white veil, not a practical colour in our industry!!!!

When GT come to BHX you might get an idea, although their veils are a bit of an unfortunate blue colour, but the GF uniform is def one of the best around

Thomas_Cook_757-300
19th Dec 2004, 20:00
My Favourite airline uniform is:

MyTravel Airways' new uniform - the crew look great in it and its very stylish! Anyone have any pictures?

My least favourite is Britannia's new one! It looks awful and the crew look very dreary in it!

Regards
Thomas_Cook_757-300

Cliff
23rd Dec 2004, 10:48
SkySista and LHR_777: Thanks for your compliments about my stewardess uniform collection. I am glad you like it and there is more to come!

OZcabincrew, the uniforms worn by the Singapore Airlines flight attendants are NOT the same as the ones you can buy in the gift shops in Singapore. Those "uniforms" are fake and not the same style and quality as the well known Sarong Kebaya worn by the "Singapore girls" and designed by Pierre Balmain.

My favorite uniforms at the moment are: Asiana Airlines, Kuwait Airways, Qatar Airways, British Airways with the hat....PLEASE!
If the scarf is worn with the female KLM uniform, it can look smart too.

Aksai Oiler
23rd Dec 2004, 11:24
Suppose you all have to be grateful you have a uniform. The ladies who work for SCAT (Kazakhstan) have to provide their own uniform. In fact come to think of it's and seeing as I'm reading the Ryanair Book; I'm surprise Mr O'Leary has not hit on that idea to reduce his costs.

Personnally I like the new BA uniform, it's a considerable improvement on the old one :ok:

Arkia (Israel) wear jeans and a bright orange T-Shirt in the Summer.

Oiler :suspect:

ScootCargoOps
23rd Dec 2004, 12:18
One of the best uniforms i have seen would have to be EVA Airways (BR), very professional looking outfit.

OZcabincrew
23rd Dec 2004, 15:22
well the average joe wouldn't be able to tell the difference between what the Singapore girls actually wear and the ones you can buy for $2 at the markets, i would want something completely different!!!!

Haven't seen but have heard the Air New Zealand uniforms are terrible! anyone?

Oz

KTPops
23rd Dec 2004, 16:19
I start training with VS in January and recently went for my first uniform fitting. What a BEAUTIFUL uniform! It's all Glamour!!

As for worst uniform, these poor hosties must have a tough time!

Check it out...

http://www.geocities.com/hasbonet/niki.html

:yuk:

Cliff
23rd Dec 2004, 17:22
Hi OZcabincrew,

I must admit that from a distance the fake and the real Singapore Airlines uniform look pretty much the same. If you have a close look you will see the difference. The real uniform top is all lined and has a label, the fake ones don't.

I do have some pictures of the current Air New Zealand uniform. I will try to send you some pictures tomorrow.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Cliff

sinala1
24th Dec 2004, 03:44
Personally I am impressed if I can find my uniform, let alone decide if I like it or not!!!

Anyone got any pics or links about the male VS uniform?

SkySista
24th Dec 2004, 06:23
someone was selling a Singapore uniform for a Barbie doll on eBay the other day - it was so cute!!!

Is it true the Singapore girls have a different uniform for onboard? or just something else the press made up? :p

Sky

OZcabincrew
25th Dec 2004, 08:24
I've flown Singapore Airlines a couple of times and they've always worn the same dress in service?

one ball
25th Dec 2004, 11:00
Must be time they washed it, shirley.

robo283
6th Dec 2005, 19:08
Jet 2 is the best uniform

striparella
6th Dec 2005, 20:24
Call me old skool but i think it's wrong female crew can wear trousers.

LOTflyer
6th Dec 2005, 23:30
I think that the ladies uniform hats are extremelly glamour!! Love BA and Etihad hats!

OZcabincrew
7th Dec 2005, 09:37
i saw the Qatar girls in the terminal in HKG the other day and must admit, their uniforms looked horrible! sorry!

Oz

EmmaB
7th Dec 2005, 10:53
Striparella wrote:

>>Call me old skool but i think it's wrong female crew can wear trousers.<<

I agree with you. They may be practical, but where's the glamour?

Maybe we should make a list of all the airlines that thankfully have a skirts-only policy for cc. I'll start with a few:

Virgin
Monarch
Excel

striparella
8th Dec 2005, 10:29
^Lol exactly!

I coped for all those years in a tight red skirt, i don't know why all these companies have gone PC and given their ladies the option of trousers.

It looks so wrong!

I also don't like some uniform standards of other airlines, particulary some US airlines where the ladies can wear their hair down and such things. For one that's unhygenic when serving food! It looks all messy.

I like a uniform to be a uniform. ALL wearing the same outfit with your make up and hair the same way. That's what working for an airline is all about!

EmmaB
8th Dec 2005, 16:53
Striparella wrote:

>>I coped for all those years in a tight red skirt, i don't know why all these companies have gone PC and given their ladies the option of trousers.

It looks so wrong!<<

Me too, spent six years in a tight red skirt, now nearly 2yrs in a tight blue one (MON) due to getting hitched and not wanting to do constant long-haul and never felt the desire to have the option of trousers.

Some girls at MON wanted to earlier this year and wrote to the Chief Exec or some other bigwig, and got a snooty reply saying they'd done customer surveys and both male and female customers found the skirt uniforms smarter and as long as the company was in the business of putting customers ahead of staff there would never be a trouser option for female cc.

miss golitely
8th Dec 2005, 17:05
calm down Hon - airlines certainly don't choose their attendants uniforms with the 'mumsy' look in mind - frankly i've always fancied a man in uniform and would very much like to talk about it!!

EmmaB
8th Dec 2005, 21:41
Sorry Miss Golitely, I was agreeing with skirts-only uniforms, not complaining :O .

Actually I've turned down the chance to apply for certain airlines because I didn't want to work alongside women in trousers (I think it lowers the status/authority/glamour of the job).

When I started out in the business, nearly ten years ago, I don't think there was one UK airline that had a trouser option for female staff, now only a handful *don't* :mad: .

lfdlfp
10th Dec 2005, 03:27
Girls, how old are you? I can't believe that my contemporaries have such archaic attitudes!
Pants on women aren't glamorous? Honey, it all depends on who is wearing them!
EmmaB, you've turned down a job offer because you didn't want to work alongside "women in trousers". I've heard of some strange criteria for avoiding a certain company, but that is downright bizarre.
If you like wearing tight red skirts, maybe you should have chosen another profession...;)

missleadfoot
10th Dec 2005, 08:13
At least you may have a choice over pants or skirt. At Australian Airlines our ladies have no choice, it's pants only, regardless of your size or preference. Skirts have never been an option even though there has been a lot of discussion about it. The new uniform is to be worm from Xmas Day and again, no skirts. The other stupid policy we have is no short sleaves for the guys. We are only issued with long sleaves as apparently Japanese pax are offended by crew in short sleaves (thats the excuse from the company). So we have the girls in long pants and guys in long sleaved shirts and do you know where we are based, in Cairns, Australia, the tropical north where it reaches over 35C with over 90% humidity. Go figure. We also have a fleece lined jacket. The new uniform is not much better. We are based in the tropics, surely a uniform reflecting this would be a more suitable option?

ManfredvonRichthofen
10th Dec 2005, 16:17
Pants* only is fine with me :E

*In a UK terminology sense...

EmmaB
10th Dec 2005, 20:01
I'm shocked by Missleadfoot's post. I think it's outrageous that an airline can insist female staff wear trousers/pants. Aside from the obvious comfort and self-esteem issues, what about women who get cystitis or yeast infections, or Christians whose religious beliefs are against trousers?

SkySista
11th Dec 2005, 01:11
Christians whose religious beliefs are against trousers

Call me stupid, I am a Christian, and have many friends from other religions (inc Mormons, Muslims etc), and I have never heard of this.

Are you perhaps talking about those Brethren (or whatever they call themselves) ladies who always wear long skirt or dress and a head scarf?? I thought they didn't believe in flying on aeroplanes etc, sort of like Amish people but less strict.... anyway if someone's religious beliefs wouldn't allow them to work for AO then they are welcome to apply elsewhere. I have a friend who decided not to work for a ME airline as she didn't feel that she would be able to wear a hijab/headscarf...

As for the pants thing... that is a bit silly of AO not to have skirts or short sleeves... however if there is indeed a cultural reason for it, I suppose they are trying not to offend their target market.

EmmaB, you refused to work for an airline because ladies wear trousers? I've heard some weird excuses in the past but that one surely takes the cake!!! :} :p I could understand if it was a religious or cultural thing but so far it just seems you have an irrational fear of women in pants!! ;) Please correct us if that is wrong, and we'll stop asking you about it, tee hee....

EmmaB
11th Dec 2005, 17:04
Hi SkySista,

I don't have an irrational objection fear of women wearing trousers/pants - in fact I sometimes wear jeans myself, when I'm off duty. Nor do I have a religious objection to them, although some Christians do (and not just the Amish-types, it's in the Bible that it's an abomination for men and women to wear clothes intended for the other, and some interpret this as meaning women must wear skirts).

No, for me it's just that the recent trend towards making cabin crew uniforms less formal and more designed for the comfort of the wearer than the image of the airline and the job itself has taken away a lot of the glamour, authority and respect. I could *never* work for somewhere like EZY, where even if I chose to wear the skirt option (which thankfully still exists), I'd be surrounded by colleages in cargo pants and jeans.

striparella
11th Dec 2005, 20:53
Lol i knew someone would have to bring up religion!

When you work for a western modern airline what do you expect?

I can't believe some airlines don't even give the ladies the option of skirts.

No airline i've seen has managed to pull the trousers look off in terms of looking lady like and glamourus like any airline should be.

Low costs can maybe get away with it because lets face it they aren't going to a gorgeous image but other airlines have no excuse.

I'm very lucky in working for an airline that will probably NEVER bring in a trouser option for crew. They're scruffy, manly boring.

I'm totally with Emma B - no trousers please.

EmmaB
11th Dec 2005, 22:48
What airline do you work for, striparella? I think VS and MON are the only UK airlines where you can pretty much guarantee there's no risk there'll be a trouser option, but if there are others then let me know as it'll give me more options if I fancy a move.

Flying_Sarah747
12th Dec 2005, 00:20
I must say I much prefer the skirt option as well. Personally I'd never choose to wear trousers either. At BA we have a choice, but I never took any trousers, only the skirts. I must say, the trousers look ok on some people, but the skirt is definately more glam!

(Aparently though, the ladies who choose to wear the trousers say they keep much warmer on night flights!)

sinala1
12th Dec 2005, 13:21
I think VS and MON are the only UK airlines where you can pretty much guarantee there's no risk there'll be a trouser option
Thats not what I have heard in regards to the VS uniform restyle due in 18 or so months time....

EmmaB
12th Dec 2005, 18:36
Hi Sinala1,

Where did you hear that (about VS introducing trousers)? My hubby is a pilot with Virgin Atlantic and reckons Branson himself has ruled it out several times...

xx Em xx

sinala1
12th Dec 2005, 20:36
Galley FM has said a few times that apparently due to the fact (not visually confirmed by myself though :O ) that female ground staff are allowed to wear trousers, the CC should get the same option

That is galleyFM though, and this is a rumours network! I personally think trousers can look quite smart and in some cases more professional on the girls - I definately believe they should have the choice. The trousers that some of the Virgin Blue girls wear look fantastic on them... Bring on the choice I say!

flyingprincess
12th Dec 2005, 21:02
How is that possible anyone at all can like ryanairs uniform..? it's nasty and oldfashioned and anyone who ever wore it would agree... And this chocolate tights...ewhh! total disaster...
but the one Easy jet girls wear?hmm... very nice :)

EmmaB
12th Dec 2005, 22:22
Hi Sinala1,

I don't *think* VS female ground staff have ever been allowed to wear trousers - in the UK, at any rate. Those based in the US definitely *are*, but I think this has to do with the unions or laws in America. I'd be amazed if Branson would ever allow customer-facing staff the choice unless he absolutely had to.

xx Em xx

sinala1
13th Dec 2005, 11:29
Its interesting to hear such strong opposition for the trouser option - surely choice is the best thing you could ask for? As I mentioned, in some cases the trousers look not only more sophisticated but also more professional on some of the girls. I strongly believe the gals should have more uniform choice than what they do! :)

Looks like its going to be an 'agree to disagree' point on this one :p

EI-CFC
13th Dec 2005, 13:53
How is that possible anyone at all can like ryanairs uniform..?

I hope no-one does. I don't think it's been changed in a long, long time. It really needs a bit of an update, even for a LCC. However getting MOL to invest in it might be a challenge in it's own right!

flybywire
13th Dec 2005, 14:35
striparella wroteI like a uniform to be a uniform. ALL wearing the same outfit with your make up and hair the same way. That's what working for an airline is all about!

THAT is what working for an airline is all about?????

I understand that ppl choose to work as CC for different reasons, but would they choose it only for the uniform itself??? :hmm:

I have both trousers and skirts and I decide what to wear depending on length of duty/weather at home/destination.
It has saved me so many colds compared to my years in PE and FCA, where trousers were not an option.
They can look smart, professional (and sexy too). In fact today both my colleague in trousers and I received some nice compliments from a few business passengers.
It's not just what you wear, but how you wear it.

FBW:)

PS:Sky...u always express my thoughts :E maybe I have a twin in OZ. Now tell me you do wear trousers at work!!! ;)

sinala1
13th Dec 2005, 14:48
It's not just what you wear, but how you wear it.
Exactly what I was trying to say - just a lot less articulately than you did!

EmmaB
13th Dec 2005, 15:31
Hi Flybywire,

I agree with you that the choice of uniform isn't the *only* reason to work for one airline rather than another, though I think it's a factor.

Personally I could never work for an airline where trousers were mandatory and I would prefer not to work for one where they're optional because a) it's not really a uniform, if people are dressed differently and b) even though I wouldn't be wearing them, some of my colleagues probably would, and IMHO that would lower the prestige of the job and the respect shown by pax.

I don't agree with you that trousers prevent colds. For years I used to fly in to JFK, where it can easily be -10 in the winter and with an icy wind coming in off the Atlantic. Working for VS at the time I was in a skirt, shorter I believe than today's style, with 10 denier (or was it 15? I can't remember...) barely black hosiery (normally stockings, not tights).

OK, sometimes my legs were a bit chilly, but I can't say I got a cold once from it, because I was always careful to wear my hat and coat outside of the aircraft.

flybywire
13th Dec 2005, 17:20
Hi Emma.

I see your point of view. I cannot share it though, as I do feel that trousers give us a bit more authority. Just my personal feeling. This is airline #3 and uniform #6 for me!!

Authority does not only depend on what you wear, it depends on the kind of passengers you carry. In FCA, the pink skirt was not helpful in dealing with agressive/potentially disruptive passengers. I wished many times I had had trousers then.

It might sound stupid to many of you but it really makes a difference. I alternate skirts/trousers and I can feel a difference in people's reactions (only a minority. The majority doesn't care about what you wear, they only care about spending as little as possible, getting from A to C via B without losing any bags, making the connections and possibly getting there in one piece!).

I do not believe that women who wear a skirt uniform are more glamorous than women who wear trousers. I am sure I look better when I wear the trousers as I can move better, more freely, and look more spontaneous.
I can also "play" those games that I am sure Rescue 137 loves much better!! :E (dear when r u flying with us!) :}

I wouldn't choose an airline for their uniform. I wouldn't choose a job for the uniform. I choose the airline for its professionalism, safety record and quality of life. If I had had to choose an airline for the uniform they "offer" I wouldn't be here now, as when I joined BA we were all still dressed like clowns (or like Queen Elizabeth II, like my granny says......no offence intended!!:ok: )

As for colds.....when you stand at the back of a 737 with both doors open, and it's -3 degrees and windy.....and you do it 3-4 times everyday.....I promise you, trousers make a huge difference to the number of colds you get (caused by cold weather, not by viruses). Also I can wear thick stockings, instead of the usual 20 den.

With this I don't want to say that you are wrong, at all. Everybody has different opinions, and that's why the world is such an interesting place, and also why we work for different airlines!

Safe flying....whatever you choose to wear ;)

Cabingirl
13th Dec 2005, 17:51
I love the new BA i, getting mine next week i cant wait!!

EmmaB
13th Dec 2005, 22:09
Hi Flybywire,

I respect your right to work for an airline (BA) that allows women to wear trousers, though I still don't understand your reasoning.

I quite like the FCA uniform. I can't see how the pink skirt was unhelpful in dealing with troublesome/disruptive pax, or how trousers would have helped matters. Personally I think the only thing that *would* help in this situation is an electric cattle prod!

And as for skirts contributing to colds... I just don't get it. Aren't colds some kind of virus that breeds in the mucus in your nose and throat, isn't that where they come from? Maybe we're more prone to them if our overall body temperature drops, for instance if we stood outside wearing very little for ages.

I went to a school where we wore a uniform of a wraparound kilt and ankle socks and I had a long walk to the bus stop followed by a wait for the bus, so my feet and legs used to be bl**dy freezing pretty much all winter long. My Mum used to tell me that we lose only 5% of our body heat through our legs and as long as I wore a nice warm coat, a hat and some gloves, I'd be fine.

I hardly ever got colds back then, nor do I now, in fact the only time I had them a lot was a year at college when I was wearing jeans pretty much every day. I'm not saying they caused it, it was probably more to do with eating crap food prepared in a student hovel kitchen, but nevertheless I don't see how a few minutes' exposure of your legs to chilly air could do any harm.

SkySista
14th Dec 2005, 05:22
because a) it's not really a uniform, if people are dressed differently and b) even though I wouldn't be wearing them, some of my colleagues probably would, and IMHO that would lower the prestige of the job and the respect shown by pax.

I have to disagree. A uniform is more about consistency of cut, fabric and colour rather than the actual clothing items.

(FBW, yes, I do wear trousers at work, as a) it can get freezing out on the ramp, and b) have once or twice nearly caused an accident when having to climb stairs unexpectedly in a short dress! :p)

My company has lots of different pieces, blouses, vests, jacket, skirt, dress, trousers for ladies. No-one has ever commented on anything looking out of place as all but the blouse are same fabric and colours, blouse a complementary colour and our scarf ties it all together with the company accent colours.

I don't think a policewoman in a skirt any less authoritative than one in trousers, and not many would say she wasn't wearing a 'proper' uniform...

Is it correct that until recently, female police in the UK weren't allowed to wear trousers?? If so, there must be a reason they changed this...

Another case, one airline I see pilots from quite a bit had a few lady pilots. They always had to wear trousers (waaaaaaay more practical!! :)) anyway a skirt option was introduced; one or two took it up but many people commented on it, eventually only one or two ended up wearing the skirt at all - the others went back to trrousers!! So you see it does work both ways...

FBW, don't tease poor Rescue so!!! Much more I don't think he can handle it!!! :p :E :D

flybywire
14th Dec 2005, 10:08
Ok I am not an expert in any medical field, but I know for sure that when your body temperature goes way below the norm because you're exposed to cold weather, you "catch" anything, whether that means viruses or just symptoms of your body cooling up.

The other night I was in NCL and the hotel had a major problem in the heating system. We were all sick the following morning!!! I had a sore throat and am now fighting with a runny nose as a consequence of that night.

I was born in a hot country where in the winter I NEVER had to de-ice the car. Never saw my parents do that. I saw the snow in my city about 6 times in 26 years. We didn't use school uniforms and I always wore warm clothes in the winter. My immune system isn't used to being exposed to such cold weather!!
Wearing trousers (and thick warm stockings underneath if necessary) has helped me in adverse weather conditions (including when we got stuck on the tarmac in EDI last year and it was snowing like hell while trying to find an engineer to pull out the stairs of the aircraft at 5am!!).

I am still of the idea that it's not what you wear but how you wear it. And it's 99% up to you to show the right authority to your passengers. I was very uncomfortable in the pink skirt, I feel safer and more confident when I wear my trousers. I can also work in the cabin without worrying about showing my underwear and that makes me more spontaneous! They are very practical, and I truly think they look pretty good anyway!

Ciao

striparella
15th Dec 2005, 20:45
VS groud staff wear skirts. There is a pair of trousers but by no means is it an option. It's not in the uniform book nor is it actively encouraged.

A an example of when ground crew have been allowed to wear trousers have been for medical reasons eg someone has a leg/foot problem and just for comfort and manoueverability trousers are the better option.

Some care agents also wear trousers again for comfort and manoueverability - they have to push wheel chairs and bag trolleys for miles day in day out.

But like i say it's not activily encouraged and most ground staff don't even think about the trousers as an option. Especially as it makes the uniform all a bit red.

Rescue 137
17th Dec 2005, 09:46
"I do not believe that women who wear a skirt uniform are more glamorous than women who wear trousers. I am sure I look better when I wear the trousers as I can move better, more freely, and look more spontaneous.
I can also "play" those games that I am sure Rescue 137 loves much better!! (dear when r u flying with us!)

I wouldn't choose an airline for their uniform. I wouldn't choose a job for the uniform. I choose the airline for its professionalism, safety record and quality of life. If I had had to choose an airline for the uniform they "offer" I wouldn't be here now, as when I joined BA we were all still dressed like clowns (or like Queen Elizabeth II, like my granny says......no offence intended!! )"

------------

So FBW-What are those games I love so much?Please remind me as I seem to have forgotten for the time being and I need reminding:) As for when am I flying with you-I'll surprise you on that one:) Although I will def make the effort if you are on the flight:)

As for Skirts/Trousers then I think BA uniform looks good with either.To be able to compare then you would have to see the same person in both trousers and Skirt and then make a decision as to which looks the best.Ive seen BA staff that look great in Trousers and BA staff that look great in Skirt and stockings.As FBW has already said its not what you wear but how you wear it.Trousers can be sexy if they are fitted correctly.

Certain uniforms I think would look strange with trousers-Virgin would be one as I just cant see Trousers fitting in to that Uniform unless they changed the colour and i cant see them loosing the red.BMI-Bmi dispatchers lready wear trousers as part of there uniform.Alright they arent CC but they do wear excatly the same uniform other than the trousers and hat.Around 2000 BM as it was then changed there female dispatchers from wearing the same uniform as GS/CC to introduce a compulsary trouser option for dispatchers as it was so much easier to move around the stands,climb into the aircraft if needed and generally step over things.Up until this then the dispatchers were wearing the GS/CC blue skirt and making it difficult to say the least to climb over stuff.The trousers give them more flexibility and makes them stand out as when you see a Female in BMI uniform & trousers then you know they are a dispatcher straight away.

Cant see GS/CC wearing the trousers option as the BMI uniform just wouldnt be the same for these grades but on Dispatchers it looks good.Maybe the hat just doesnt go too well with Trousers.I

I think for the trousers to look good then they have to be a dark colour Navy Blue,Black colour and that is why BMI/BA trousers work.An example of how trousers dont work is Aviance-those light blue trousers:yuk: God I feel sorry for anyone who has to wear those,The skirt is the better option but the otherall colour is horrible.

faultygoods
17th Dec 2005, 10:02
i agree with tightslot.......the best uniform is the one where the buttons stay on AND as i'm walking across the airbridge my stockings dont get ladders ( which they do every time );)

blueloo
17th Dec 2005, 10:19
Apologies if already linked/shown, but I couldnt troll through all 7 pages......

So I think it is time to end this discussion (for the girls at least). There is only 1 uniform you should be wearing and this is it :}

http://jscms.jrn.columbia.edu/cns/2005-11-01/waterfield-hootersair/DSC_0279.jpg/asset_medium

:} :} :}

LHRman
17th Dec 2005, 22:12
OK, just my $0.02 worth, as our American cousins would say. Sorry to some of the ladies here but as a frequent flyer on both long and short-haul flights out of the UK, mostly business class on exes, I much prefer stewardesses in skirts.

It's not just a sex appeal thing, I find them smarter and more flattering to the typical female figure.

One lady said she felt passengers respect her more in trousers than skirts. Is it just that you imagine this, if you feel more comfortable or confident dressed that way? I ask because, if anything, I'm more courteous and formal towards stewardesses in smart skirts because they're more formally dressed.

A couple of times I've been on easyJet, either because I was picking up the tab myself or they just happened to have the best flight times, and these days they seem to be wearing fleeces and cargo pants. Sorry but I can't take them at all seriously :confused: .

SkySista
18th Dec 2005, 06:13
blueloo, for hootersair pilots, those guys don't look too happy.....! (They must be gay....! :E :p ;))

blueloo
18th Dec 2005, 23:44
LOL true, but I think they are really just in shock, the girls have obvioulsy just flashed their gianormous breasts at them!

FlyingAngel02
5th Jan 2006, 13:37
Hi

I think Singapore Airline has the best uniform for women & the 2nd Airline has to be British Airways & Britania!!

FlyingAngel02
5th Jan 2006, 13:46
Hi

Any1 got the pic of the latest Gulf or Singapore Airline uniform???

BEagle
5th Jan 2006, 13:56
Remember the old "I wish they all could be Caledonian Girls" advert? Happy memories of the lovely tartan-uniformed ladies of BCal looking after us on holiday flights back in the 70s!

But my favorite of all time was the utterly adorable Roz Hanby wearing that 'Fly the Flag'-era ba uniform of many years ago!

Outlook
5th Jan 2006, 14:39
My first post... (Wish me luck)...

When travelling as a pax in Corporate Jets or business and/or economy with the airlines I don't care what you Ladies (and gents) wear so long as you are comfortable. If you are happy then it does show. That's 95% of the way to ensuring we are happy and have a great flight.

EI-CFC
5th Jan 2006, 15:20
Remember the old "I wish they all could be Caledonian Girls" advert?

Remember it? I still have nightmares about it! :D :D

ashmac33
5th Jan 2006, 17:27
hey guys and gals!

I am about to start for thomsonfly (charter) ground rep at leeds in the next couple of months, i am just wondering if my uniform will be the same as cabin crew attire? from what i can picture its looks very smart, any By crews or groundstaff like to comment?

pm me if u like, if ure flying from leeds in future be a laugh to see ya!

Ash

flyblue
5th Jan 2006, 19:52
Outlook
amazingly wise for a 1st post :ok:

Full Emergency
5th Jan 2006, 21:46
I don't think a policewoman in a skirt any less authoritative than one in trousers, and not many would say she wasn't wearing a 'proper' uniform...

Is it correct that until recently, female police in the UK weren't allowed to wear trousers?? If so, there must be a reason they changed this..

This is not the case.

Female officers have always been allowed to wear skirts or trousers on duty, although they were encouraged to wear their skirt. That being said wearing skirts is definately a 'generation thing' and only the older female officers will generally wear them.

I will only wear mine if I am based in the station the whole day (in the control room/front office/goaler) as it is practical to do so. If I am on general patrol out-and-about, esp if I am carrying a firearm, the wearing of trousers is manditory for practical reasons, which I agree with. (You can't go running after people and jumping over high fences and over fields wearing a skirt and thin black tights. It just is no longer practical. The tights for a start would end up like fishnets.)

The last time that I wore my police skirt (which is like a tent - long and baggy and just will never fit right:* ) was today at a full service funeral for an officer who I used to work with. Most of the women there wore their skirts and it looked spot on. This IMHO, is really the only when they should be worn outdoors - on ceremonial duties and the like.

The other problem that I have is that the trousers they issue to women must have been modelled on a short, huge bummed woman, as the seat of the trousers were way too baggy. I have ended up ordering and wearing guys trousers as the cut/fit is far better and more comfortable.

The other major gripe that I have about the police uniform is the uni-sex look to it. The womens shirts are simply guys shirts, with the buttons round the other way. There is no room allocated for the chest area at all, and most forces make their female officers wear ties. Thankfully one one is still sticking to the cravat.

I really envy you girls having to be feminine with your job. Here even things like make-up is a no-no.

What is my favourate airlines uniform?? I would go for either BA or the new BMI (summer) uniform, as Red is so not my colour. Sorry to those who work at VS, it just would never suit me. I also prefer a suit type option, rather than a company like United, where they wear dresses. If I was working for BA, then I would probably wear a skirt more often than not, but would still wear trousers from time to time.

Female CC who wear trousers still look feminine IMHO. I recently saw a Female VS supervisior at LHR check-in wearing red trousers. Never seen that before or since.

FE

ps. Sorry for the long post and if it is slightly off-topic.

EmmaB
6th Jan 2006, 23:01
Hi FE,

I don't mean to doubt you, because obviously you're a serving police officer and I'm not (and have never been), but I'm sure skirts were compulsory for policewomen in the past - like maybe 10-20 years ago?

Emma

Full Emergency
7th Jan 2006, 04:59
Hi FE,

I don't mean to doubt you, because obviously you're a serving police officer and I'm not (and have never been), but I'm sure skirts were compulsory for policewomen in the past - like maybe 10-20 years ago?

Emma

I don't think so. (I have known to be wrong from time to time) Maybe when the first women joined the 'force.' but certainaly not in the past 40/50 years.

Remember that programme Juliet Bravo ?? (Yeap, I know I am going back a few years) That was based on current force conditions then, and she wore trousers on occaisons. (yes rare but from time to time.)

FE

AN2 Driver
7th Jan 2006, 07:02
From my vantage point there are a couple of interesting ones right here in Switzerland:

http://www.edelweissair.ch
could not find any dedicated pictures.

http://images.google.ch/imgres?imgurl=http://www.travelquality.com/flights/pictures/cabincrew/Helvetic/Cabincrew_helvetic_001.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.travelquality.com/flights/pictures/cabincrew/Helvetic/Helvetic.htm&h=300&w=400&sz=35&tbnid=TuDA-c8Wkf4J:&tbnh=90&tbnw=120&hl=de&start=52&prev=/images%3Fq%3DHelvetic%2BAirways%26start%3D40%26svnum%3D10%26 hl%3Dde%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN

hope this link works...

Also the old Tyrolean uniform was quite interesting.

http://www.uniformfreak.com/1tyrolean.html

bubblygirl
17th Jan 2006, 10:04
My Fav,

The now non exising Ansett International Uniform. The hat etc, always turned people to take a look at who the smart airline was

SkySista
17th Jan 2006, 10:50
Bubblygirl, yes the hat was very eye-catching!!

until a year or so ago, you could still see the hat (as well as the rest of the uniform) flying within Western Australia on Skywest Airlines.... sadly they've moved on... though I am liking the new light blue!!! :p

4engines
19th Jan 2006, 08:28
Singapore Airlines, Female Cabin crew uniform, looks very elegant and traditional, dont know how practical it is to work in but definitely very nice in appearence.

flyblue
19th Jan 2006, 21:20
Ok, I admit being quite partial to this one ...;)

Plane clothes investigation
CNN checks how airlines are getting fashionable at 30,000 ft
(CNN) -- Cabin crew uniforms are often seen as an extension of an airline's identity and with more carriers hiring top designers, there is increasing competition to produce fashionable flight wear.
But who is the most stylish in the air? To find out, CNN Business Traveller set up its own fashion runway -- on a real runway: the windswept Tarmac of London's Heathrow -- and enlisted the help of fashion experts.
Says British fashion designer Giles Deacon, uniforms do not just serve a functional purpose.
"They show the quality of the airline that you're flying with -- or that's what I think they should do. Plus, they have to be there to show some form of authority, to show the airline you're flying with knows what it's doing."
While Deacon is keen to create his own uniform, Australian designer Richard Tyler has already been recruited to tailor airline employees.
Tyler was hired by troubled U.S. carrier Delta airline to refresh its image at a time when it was teetering on the brink of bankruptcy.
"I approached it like a runway," Tyler told CNN.
"I didn't tell the Delta people that, but I planned it so that the flight attendants who were walking down the concourse... would look like a runway show."
For the airline, the new outfits are seen as crucial to reviving fortunes.
"This uniform change is part of a complete transformation that's undergoing with the Delta brand," says Paul Matsen, the airline's chief marketing officer.
"We've been restructuring everything from our pricing and our fares to our on-board cabins with all new designed interiors and leather seats and the uniform program is just a fantastic new addition to that product transformation."
And, says Tyler, they have helped boost staff morale.
"I do clothing for celebrities and things like that and they tell me that if they put something on they just feel amazing. It lifts their spirit and this is true with the Delta uniform," he said.
"It's really lifted the spirits right through from the flight attendant to the people up front."
Style stakes
In contrast to Tyler's new creations, some carriers prefer to stick to a tried and tested formula. On CNN's Heathrow catwalk, the stewardess from Singapore Airlines sports a uniform designed more than 30 years ago.
"We feel that the uniform still works very well for us -- the Singapore Girl is an icon now, very much part of the brand and internationally recognizable," said airline spokesman John Cotton.
But for Deacon, who judged CNN's fashion show featuring Air France, China Eastern Airlines, Iberia, Kenya Airways, Singapore Airlines, Thai Airways and Tyrolean Airways, one airline led the pack in the style stakes.
"I think my favorite one was Air France, really super chic, elegantly cut and I could see it suiting many ages and you could actually go and work in it," he said.
His choice reflects the fashion concerns of the airline, which recruited a top name from Parisian couture, Christian Lacroix, to dress its staff.
"In fashion you have to create for six months, one year. Here you have to create for 10 years -- it was something, in perspective, very different," says Air France's Carole Peytavin.
http://edition.cnn.com/2006/TRAVEL/01/19/fashion.uniform/index.html?section=cnn_latest

6chimes
19th Jan 2006, 22:14
As said earlier, sorry if this is a repeat but its tooooo long a thread to read through after the day I have had........anyway

The female form can look fantastic in trousers, as said, it depends on the cut. And sorry FBW for once I dont agree with you. A skirt does not give you less authority than trousers. I am male and I dont listen to a female/male more or less because her/his attire, its the way I am spoken to. As I am sure it is to most, if you get the impression that your being spoken to respectfully you will comply. If we get grief from pax it aint cos of our uniform.

EmmaB
20th Jan 2006, 21:17
The female form can look fantastic in trousers, as said, it depends on the cut.

I guess it takes all sorts... personally I think the female figure looks hideous in trousers and what with the (ahem) question of personal hygiene and infections too, I don't personally think nature intended us to wear them.

That said, I do have a couple of pairs of jeans which I wear around the house, much to hubby's frustration...

captcat
20th Jan 2006, 21:25
I do have a couple of pairs of jeans which I wear around the house, much to hubby's frustration...
Don't take it that bad Em, a little diet, a little working out at the gym, and hubby will look at your jeans again :ok:

EmmaB
20th Jan 2006, 23:44
Don't take it that bad Em, a little diet, a little working out at the gym, and hubby will look at your jeans again :ok:

So kind of you to say so :mad: .

I'm not overweight or out of shape, I'm 5ft 7ins, just over 8.5 stone and wear a size 10 (UK...). I just happen to be married to a man who doesn't like women in trousers (and not just me... he just thinks it's a turn-off).

IMHO most guys think the same but keep quiet for an easy life.

homesick rae
21st Jan 2006, 03:48
B Cal without a doubt! Some fond memories...but we won't go into that now!

Cheers

HR

SQ117
21st Jan 2006, 04:55
[IMG]http://www.rhydin.org/uniform/airline/Star_Alliance.jpg

Singapore Airlines uniform wins hands down!

TightSlot
21st Jan 2006, 07:32
EmmaB - Honey we're beginning to get a little bit worried about you? A depressingly high number of posts on this one thread - usually about your dislike of women in uniform trousers. You've played the aesthetic card and the hygiene card: I'm expecting shortly that we shall hear that God has spoken to you and advised that he/she doesn't want women in trousers?

Honey we get it! - you don't like women in trousers. Unfortunately, other people do, or don't mind, or at least feel that now they are all grown up they can make the decision for themselves? Airline uniforms offer female trousers as an option in recognition of the diversity of human taste - Now, get over it dear...

Don't take it that bad Em, a little diet, a little working out at the gym, and hubby will look at your jeans again has to be quite possibly the most exquisitely perfect example of one-line bitchiness that I've ever come across - If there are Oscars for the bitchy put-down, then this sweeps the board this year in the Dangerous Housewives category! I haven't smiled so hard in months. EmmaB - sweetie when it's that good, don't rise to it - just laugh and plan revenge another day...

Now please - could we drop the trouser thing? :bored:

SkySista
21st Jan 2006, 08:13
Now please - could we drop the trouser thing?

Hahaha!!! I'm guessing pun not intended.... ;) :E

BEagle
21st Jan 2006, 08:16
Some of the LH ladies look extremely smart in their trouser uniform.

Not to mention very attractive!

But those Caledonian Girls......:D

LHRman
23rd Jan 2006, 12:58
So kind of you to say so :mad: .
I'm not overweight or out of shape, I'm 5ft 7ins, just over 8.5 stone and wear a size 10 (UK...). I just happen to be married to a man who doesn't like women in trousers (and not just me... he just thinks it's a turn-off).
IMHO most guys think the same but keep quiet for an easy life.

Well Emma, if you ever decide it's time for a change of scenery, just let me know... :)

MR-B777
1st Feb 2006, 20:54
QF uniform is looking pretty sharp these days, I like it.

OS (old Lauda) great, nice and casual with the best looking people in them ;)

BA not looking too bad in their new uniforms either.

SQ girls great too - something different.

ozangel
2nd Feb 2006, 04:57
Skirts or trousers?

My first airline, the girls had a choice of pants (tight around the hips with no belt), knee length skirt, pinnifort (?spelling), or a longer skirt (which was gotten rid of due to safety - not easy to swim in supposedly). It was a tailored navy suit, with a deep darkish sky blue textured top with a collar that didnt fold down, but stuck up - had a very nice shape to it. A deep yellow scarf made it look fantastic.

Whether the wore pants, skirt, dress, it al looked fantastic. We used to do some quite long duties so we'd be heavy crewed, or sometimes we'd pick up the last sector from another crew after overnighting, so there would be 6-8 flight attendants, and 4-5 pilots who also had a pretty cool uniform. For a smaller narrowbody aircraft it was a lot of crew, but it definitely felt like a fashion parade walking through the terminal on the way home with up to 12-13 of us walking through the terminal.

We used to arrive about the same time as emirates, and it used to look quite funny all these crew stepping off a smaller aircraft, almost as many as were stepping of the 777-300 at the Bay next to us.

I like the QF uniform - didnt at first, but it does look very classy.
Air Niugini's female uniform (minus the blazer) looks very nice. Its a light flowing dress with pink or aqua 'bird of paradise' print. Sounds awful i know, but it looks very nice.
Not a fan of Air NZ, old or new. Old was just too strange (something youd expect Helen Clark to wear playing tennis), and the new are just too 'Star Trek - Search for the planet Bland'

Have to say I vomit a little in my mouth at the sight of Freedom Air's FA uniforms. I was ground crew for them, and had to wear the yellow polo shirt, and lets just say the only way I got through the day was in a fake mostache and a wig. The real me wouldnt be seen dead in that!

Love the new Australian Airlines mens shirt.

Not a fan of American or Deltas uniforms (well this is going back a couple years now). They either made them look like bus drivers or high school students.

United can look good, and can look dreadful. I saw UA crew regularly at syd as we passed through security - and it was hard not to stare, they looked so worn out. Flew UA on a 737 last year, and they looked fantastic. Same uniform, just looked much more professional. (They were clean from cat hair for a start!).

GorgeousKiwiGal
2nd Feb 2006, 19:20
QF uniform is looking pretty sharp these days, I like it.

Yep I agree. Loving the newer QF uniform. Though I am not a fan of the Boomerang dress! LOL! Luckily one doesn't HAVE to wear it.