PDA

View Full Version : EFT Syllabus

4-the-break
1st May 2003, 02:36
Doubtless anyone with anything to do with a UAS/EFT will be aware of the new syllabus in operation. I have just transferred over to this as a relatively new pilot on the Sqn (UAS UC) and would like to know the general consensus of opinion. The reduction in hours has meant the axing of trips which to me look like good fun (IP to target etc). Although trips have been removed surely we still have to grasp concepts and acquire skills in less time? Does this add pressure or remove it as there is less to learn? Not only this but will (if all things go to plan) the job now be harder at Linton trying to do something for the first time at 4miles a min rather that 2? I’m sure there is very good reason for the changes and these I don’t question, just looking for more info. I’m sure I should probably be concentrating on Stalling 2 but would like to hear anyone’s opinion!

Regards

DB6
1st May 2003, 03:20
There's only one reason for the changes and that is bean counting.:yuk:

BEagle
1st May 2003, 03:49
Without wishing to post anything which might be taken as comment on official policy, I do personally wonder what sort of an age we live in when chaps like 4-the-break have such concerns about the training which they're getting.........

IP-to-tgt at a UAS?? When I was a UAS student we learned core GH skills, captaincy and airmanship. Perhaps a bit of medium level navigation, certainly no low-level. Most of us left with well over 120 hours, probably at least 40 of which were solo. Then, with our PFBs and PIFGs, we did the 125 hour course on the JP rather than the full 140. We still did medium level nav, we flew the thing up to 30000ft solo and we did some low level at 240KIAS plus formation, lots of IF and GH. But I'm pretty sure that we didn't do IP-to-tgt until towards the end of the Gnat course; we didn't even fly 'battle formation' in the Gnat. Even then the Hunter chaps at TWU preferred 'Learning Command' to stick to basics, asserting that they wanted pilots to arrive with sound basic skills who they would then teach to fight their aeroplanes and to weaponeer.

I was at a UAS reunion last Saturday and every visitor was, shall we say, rather 'surprised' to hear about the ways things have gone.

All I can say is, I wish you the very best of luck........!!

Captain Gadget
1st May 2003, 03:58
BEags

I did low-level nav (dual) on the Bullfrog at my UAS many years ago. One of my funniest memories was of doing an 'airfield attack' on Little Rissington at 120KIAS...by the time the 'Frog had reached the top of the bloody hill it was jolly nearly time for a (necessarily very slick) demo of the standard stall recovery! Ah, salad days!

BTW, sorry to hear that the Force is losing your expertise. Hope you will continue to grace these fora for many a long year - and if we ever meet in any of the many fine pubs in Deepest Oxfordshire, I'll gladly stand you a pint (You'll recognise me by my clamped Sinclair C5 parked outside).

Gadget :cool:

moggie
1st May 2003, 16:39
Of course, some of us went straight onto the Jet Provost without any kind of lead in from UAS/EFT - meaning that we operated at speeds greater than those used by the Tincano right from the start.

I'm not saying this was the best way, just that this was how it was done, before the RAF decided to borrow the EFT idea from the Fish-heads in the mid-80s.

How many hours are there on the UAS/EFT/BFT/AFT syllabi these days? I've kind of lost track of it in the last 20 years!

BEagle
1st May 2003, 17:51
Pre-OCU, less than 200 I understand. If young Bloggs is destined for aeroplanes with kitchens, of that total the only solo time will be on Das Teutor or the Fruitfly.

Looking back in my logbook, after finishing TWU I had almost 500 hours, of which 159 were alone and unassisted - on the Chipmunk, JP3/5, Gnat and Hunter.

But no doubt it's quality, not quantity which counts.

moggie
2nd May 2003, 19:32
I had 215 hours when I arrived at the VC10 OCU in 1986 - and that included my 25 hour Jetstream refresher carried out after a 3 month hold.

All 215 hours conducted by RAF QFIs in JPs and Jetstreams, though, not by civvies in flying club aeroplanes!

The thought of contracted out BFT scares me - but it is on the cards!

Max R8
5th May 2003, 05:55
To answer 4-on-the-break's original query... Yes, you should be concentrating on stalling 2.

bighedsmallface
3rd Jun 2003, 06:40
Ah, the wheel invented anew. Don't worry about it 4. When it comes time to do IP Tgt stuff you'll be given time to learn. If you can't hack it then it just means you would have been chopped earlier! Make hay while the sun shines. Just picture all those maps you won't have to plan. Lovely

PS Sod stalling 2 - get down the bar. You close the throttle - she stalls. 5 on the ticksheet, back to the bar. Iss eesy.