PDA

View Full Version : Most Satisfying Word to Say

MMEMatty
1st May 2003, 01:58
From a purely Pronunciation point of view, what is the most satisfying word that you can say, either in conversation or to yourself.

My vote goes with "Globule"

I throw it open to the great ppruneing public

(keep it clean pelase)

Matty

PaperTiger
1st May 2003, 02:08
I'm still waiting for the chance to work serendipitous ululation into a conversation.

Sir Henry
1st May 2003, 02:23
has to be the word "disgusting". It's so right on spot.

Flying Boat
1st May 2003, 02:41
Chorosive is quite a good one.

It covers, words, chemical properties & some management attitudes.

Waiting for the chance to use 'Microburst' in the bedroom.
;)

jstr4753
1st May 2003, 02:45
Its got to be 'Manoeuvre'

its easier to get into everyday conversation!

tony draper
1st May 2003, 03:11
Yeh, I like the word Corrosive as well, ;)

The word Flibertygibbet,tickles yer lips. :rolleyes:

ratsarrse
1st May 2003, 03:12
I hate having to say 'sixth.' It just doesn't work does it? Oh, you wanted the most satisfying word didn't you. 'Ebullient' is nice, but I can’t say that I manage to squeeze that one into too many conversations.

AerBabe
1st May 2003, 03:12
Mince - as in the walking movement... Has to be said with just the right amount of emphasis on the 'I'.
Discombobulation - a fine word which is much underused.
P1ss off - really hiss the 'ss' and it's incredibly satisfying. My mum likes that one too.

witchdoctor
1st May 2003, 03:18
Plinth, probe (with a nice richly pronounced R) and gusset all provided a whole weekend of hilarity when I was a poor UAS stude. What were we on?:D

LordGrumpy
1st May 2003, 04:32
Dr Grahem Garden, he that was a Goodie and a panelist on "I'm sorry I haven't a clue". He would say plinth was a good one.

For myself - meander is okay but slightly longerLick spittle toad.

Anthony Carn
1st May 2003, 04:41
A phrase, not a single word, but I can't resist....

"Louche and soi-disant aristocratic beauty."

Was used to describe Marianne Faithful, she of "A Girl on a Motorcycle", amongst other things, when she was young.

Seaweed Knees
1st May 2003, 04:53
Nebula and Blancmange.

fourthreethree
1st May 2003, 05:32
Plethora, guzzle, jugular. No particular order.

yggorf
1st May 2003, 05:43
"Procrastinate".
I'll tell you why another time.

strake
1st May 2003, 05:50
Sonumbulance...........

tony draper
1st May 2003, 05:59
Verisimilitude,
one even managed to use that word in a post once.
:rolleyes:

Flying Boat
1st May 2003, 06:02
How about regenerating some older ones?

Gay for happy. I remember seeing re-runs in the 70s on the BBC of 'The Gay Falcon', he was a PI & a real ladies man of the 40s.

Seeing as there is a new undertow of English/British Pride forming, Blighty, all our troops returned to it in 1945.

Use older swear words, B***ER instead of the modern city equivalent ***K, less harsh.

I've found Banana shouted at the top of your voice relieves pent up stress and doesn't offend anyone. Kids like to use it too if they are frustrated & parents dont object.

:ugh:

solotk
1st May 2003, 07:07
Machinations......

expedite_climb
1st May 2003, 07:37
No matter what the word is, it really should be an onomatopoeia. Actually, thats quite a good word. Did need to dig out the old oxford mind.

:cool:

crispy banana
1st May 2003, 07:38
Jaaaaayyyyysus......%&*^ :)

bubba zanetti
1st May 2003, 08:08
Nipple ... a fine word though I have always thought that nipple and nebula should be transposed .... :D

Flying Boat
1st May 2003, 08:12
Had a chemistry teacher that always used to use the word, PUNGENT.

I like the sound of MENISCUS.

The majority of the English language sounds better when spoken by our EEC ATCO Cousins, French & Italian accents make it so much sweeter but Flemish is the most entertaining over the radio. It loses its fun element when spoken face to face.

I think the best Afrikaans word I learnt was FROTT! It means drunk but say it loud & harshly & it sums up your mental state.

Thank god for the tower of Babel, otherwise we couldn't have such earth shattering discussions.

Have a lekker temps wan du want.

FB:ok:

For the kinky, GREASE NIPPLE.:eek:

Out Of Trim
1st May 2003, 08:28
Bollocks! - It's just such a woody word! ;)

Quite like Git also... :ok:

Davaar
1st May 2003, 08:37
Street in Montreal:

"Le Chemin de la Cote des Neiges."

For this I can forgive a lot to Ludo and Grandpa.

Rollingthunder
1st May 2003, 08:41
I like to say "Rotate" in the other sense and depart the earth once in a a while. Gets rid of idiots and lands somewhere else, temporarily.

pigboat
1st May 2003, 09:27
Schooner. Word allegedly invented by a Lunenburger as he watched the Bluenose go by under all her canvas. "See how she scoons!" hence, schooner. Apt description.

Expedite_climb, I had a dog once who did that a lot. ;)

BlueDiamond
1st May 2003, 10:05
Periapt.

West Coast
1st May 2003, 11:46
Beer.........Very satisfying.

Big Tudor
1st May 2003, 15:11
FART. Especially when the R is emphasised a la Billy Connelly.

tony draper
1st May 2003, 15:22
A few good Geordie words,

"Plodging", rhymes with dodging, to splash ones feet in puddles ect,

"Clarts", rhymes with tarts, mud,

"Titch or titchy" rhymes with itch or itchy, younger brother or small person

"Hacky" rhymes with tacky, dirty ,grubby

So plodging in the clarts, splashing ones feet thru mud.

As in, "Wor titch is plodging in the clarts Ma, ee's reet hacky"

"Our younger sibling is splashing around in the mud Mater, he is extremely dirty"

:rolleyes:

pulse1
1st May 2003, 15:26
For some reason, I find the word "deluge" very descriptive and satisfying.

Inverted81
1st May 2003, 15:37
I agree with Globule, its gotta be the best, but all try and get your tongues round this one... once you've mastered it its great!
OXYCARBAMINOHAEMOGLOBIN i feintly remember it from a human physiology lecture last year! Have fun!! :E :\ :}

compressor stall
1st May 2003, 16:12
defenestrate Difficult, but possible, to use in the non imperative.

paradigm This word is so oftern abused and used by the pseudo-edumcated to give oomph to what they are trying to say. Howver, when used non-gratuitously (which sadly is rare) it is sheer pleasure. It took 3 people 6 months of trying before we determined that one of us had uttered it non-gratuitously. There was much rejoycing.

yes when uttered during orgasm.

Seaweed Knees
1st May 2003, 16:55
Bubble
Sublime

keendog
1st May 2003, 16:56
mellifluous
succinct

Bootlegger
1st May 2003, 17:06
BLITHERING.......as in " YOU BLITHERING IDIOT " :ok:

trimpot
1st May 2003, 18:34
I have a mate who loves saying "bauxite" don't ask me why!:confused:

nearlynormalmike
1st May 2003, 18:42
Slurp.

My favourite recipies have all got slurp as a measure.

Binoculars
1st May 2003, 18:46
STALLIE,

I don't believe I had ever heard the word paradigm before, I don't know, 1990? I certainly never heard it issued from the lips of either of my parents, whose interest in and knowledge of the English language was inspiring to me. For some years I thought the word was essentialparadigm, since I never saw it used separately.

Like zeitgeist, which came into fashion about the same time, it is a word I don't believe CAN be used non-gratuitously. I here and now grant permission for anybody hearing me utter either of these words (except disparagingly) for the remainder of my life to knock me to the ground.

Northern Chique
1st May 2003, 18:46
Any plausible word uttered by a patient Im trying to revive is the best one to me...

"Graduate" was the best word after Uni...

and my favourite word... superfluous...

iainpoll
1st May 2003, 19:02
Ohhh B0llock5:ok: Cant beat it. Sometimes say it just because I can:)

tony draper
1st May 2003, 19:04
The word "tranche" as in slice or portion, seems to have appeared out of nowhere at the end of the eighties, leaswise I never heard it before then.

Chaffers
1st May 2003, 19:07
Pusseyyyy has to one of the greatest words to say or of course Muffin, one of the dirtiest words in the English language.

Myrmecoidal remains a favourite, though Psitticine can be used instead infront of ****wit to be really cutting.

Mellifluous is simply beguiling, though its a shame that you are unlikely to get to use the term Lepidopterous, implying such rare qualities.

terryJones
1st May 2003, 19:13
"Thank You"

The pleasure from a 'sincere' thank you is the best ever.

TJ

BALIX
1st May 2003, 19:17
"Bottom"

So much better than arse, especially when talking about a nice one.

simon brown
1st May 2003, 19:34
If its down to flexibility, the ubiquitous F**K and its various derivatives. It can be used in so many contexts..

In fact ubiquitous is quite a good one too....

compressor stall
1st May 2003, 19:57
ParadigmFrom the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary.

Main Entry: par·a·digm
Pronunciation: 'par-&-"dIm also -"dim
Function: noun
Etymology: Late Latin paradigma, from Greek paradeigma, from paradeiknynai to show side by side, from para- + deiknynai to show -- more at DICTION
Date: 15th century
1 : EXAMPLE, PATTERN; especially : an outstandingly clear or typical example or archetype
2 : an example of a conjugation or declension showing a word in all its inflectional forms
3 : a philosophical and theoretical framework of a scientific school or discipline within which theories, laws, and generalizations and the experiments performed in support of them are formulated
- par·a·dig·mat·ic /"par-&-dig-'ma-tik/ adjective
- par·a·dig·mat·i·cal·ly /-ti-k(&-)lE/ adverb

I have never heard the word used in either of the first two contexts. However the third came to fruition in the 60's with the popularlity of the book: Structure of Scientific Revolutions by Thomas Kuhn. Despite its glaring errors (outlined by geologists Alvarez et al discovery of the Iridium Layer in 1980 as the disonsaur extinction theory) it remains a turning point in the History and Philosophy of Science.

CS

Taildragger55
1st May 2003, 20:27
"Paradigms"

An Australian term meaning "two ladies"

as in, "I found my mate in bed with a paradigms"

brockenspectre
1st May 2003, 21:03
OK ... the three words that have just sprung to mind are:

ululation

pejorative

peripatetic

:D

P.S. I have also noticed that the "smaller word is best" use of the English language which I was taught seems to have been overtaken by "use a long or complicated word, irrespective of it being in the right context" ... grrrrrrrrrr

briteandbreezy
1st May 2003, 21:17
oblivious

&

lustful

Davaar
1st May 2003, 21:39
A propos "paradigm", one distinguished Canadian adopts the usage "paradijjim". Wonderful.

Ozzy
1st May 2003, 21:47
nodule, nuclear, uvula...

Ozzy

Biggles Flies Undone
1st May 2003, 22:07
Pendulous always conjures up some very naughty thoughts for me :eek:

That also reminds me of the lines from T. S. Eliot that always got my Eng Lit teacher stammering :
"Uncorseted, her friendly bust
Gives promise of pneumatic bliss."

Happy days :ok:

Rhino power
2nd May 2003, 02:30
Gonad

Balderdash

Curmudgeonly

Clackfart

Regards, RP.:D

witchdoctor
2nd May 2003, 04:51
What the hell is 'clackfart' - I love it!

Also like 'nincompoop' and 'your round'.

Bubbles
2nd May 2003, 05:29
from a girly point of view " is it in yet?" is one of the best phrases ever to come out of the english language

and of coure not forgetting JOBBIE...........such a descriptive word, that can be used in some many forms ie
jobbie whecher
jobbie muncher
you jobbie!
jobbie heid!
ya big jobbie

the list is nearly endless

while i'm on the subject........wellie

as in face like a well melted wellie or well and truly wellied

ATCbabe
2nd May 2003, 05:40
BOLLOX

or failing that

GIMP

Find both quite satisfying:)

Synthetic
2nd May 2003, 05:47
Thankyou

:)

Miserlou
2nd May 2003, 06:05
No we're not finished yet, Synth.

DILLIGAF.

snafu
2nd May 2003, 06:46
'Crevice' conjures up all sorts of images, but 'moist' is just a really dirty word!!:ok:

arcniz
2nd May 2003, 15:49
Always fun in polite company - especially if in possession of a microphone - to toss out "the recently-discovered 'vomeronasal orofice' "

(I believe it's a little opening in the roof of the mouth leading to an organ that senses pheremones - not to be confused with the vomeronasal pits of the septum)

In fact, with most polite company, "orofice" alone can do well.

fishtits
2nd May 2003, 19:49
"Penetrate" always conjures up some interesting thoughts..... :E

The best phrase I have ever spoken though, is "Polysyllabic Metasyntactic Variable" (ex. Thingymebob) - very impressive and extremely satisfying after 10 pints :cool:

FT

Chaffers
2nd May 2003, 20:00
I think I might nick that Fishtits. :)

George Dicer
2nd May 2003, 23:54
I remember Danny Kaye ending one of his T.V. shows in the 1960's with the word "Vestibule". Still makes me smile, but i'm not sur why.

Rhino power
3rd May 2003, 04:36
Witchdoctor, a 'clackfart' is one who squeals on another, or a teller of tall stories, according to a wise old uncle of mine.

Regards, RP.

Techchick
3rd May 2003, 04:44
I quite like ******

and Gebbit :E

Loki
3rd May 2003, 05:27
Snafu:

I agree with "moist" but would like to suggest "ointment" as oddly satisfying.

sprocket
3rd May 2003, 05:39
I like "Thrust".

Why? ...

Its simple
Its honest
Its forceful
To the point
Its moving forward
Gives no indication of a possible withdrawl

cookie99
3rd May 2003, 15:09
Orgasmic could be scientific or just a lot of fun.

Uncle Cracker
3rd May 2003, 19:18
There's a bit of a fuss going on around here at the moment about the word "Gouranga."

"Cry Gouranga and be happy!" it says on the posters on lamp posts. (Yes, really, someone has gone to great lengths over this.)

I am in disagreement. Gouranga, (which is obviously Swahili for "feckin ugly bridge") is not a great word. Good, but not great.
Not like "diesel." Now that's a great word. :}

Diesel Fitter
3rd May 2003, 19:26
Indubitably Uncle Cracker!

Uncle Cracker
3rd May 2003, 20:12
Diesel (really is damn fine, that word) Fitter

Undoubtably!:ok:

NineEighteen
3rd May 2003, 20:49
I find the word 'Security' strangely satisfying but I HATE the word 'Pamphlet'.

Uncle Cracker
3rd May 2003, 21:05
NineEighteen

I agree. Pamphlet is entirely crap.

BUT DIESEL ISN'T!!!!!

I also wish to vote for "sleaze".

Oh yeah, and "grind".
(Is this indicative of my personality, perhaps?)

CUNIM
3rd May 2003, 21:07
BALOOBA or BANGALA used as a drinking toast

Meaning large "Mannekin Pis" bits, can be wished upon male or female.

Origins

Balooba is from Angola - a tribal word there
Bangala originates from an unknown tribe in the Congo

Use origin

Luxembourg with multi-national ATC course - we got fed up with Cheers, Prost,Sante etc so we came up with the ultimate drinking toast being a common - very common - word, but international.:ok:

Uncle Cracker
3rd May 2003, 21:10
"Diesel" would make a good toast...

Say again s l o w l y
3rd May 2003, 22:02
When it all goes wrong there's nothing like a good loud "ARSE!!."

I feel much better after that.
Mind you BEER is another fantastic word....

Binoculars
3rd May 2003, 22:11
All meaningless folderol. The sweetest phrase in the language (any language) is

"The drinks are on me".

No doubt some young whippersnappers who have yet to sort out their priorities will smirkingly suggest various phrases inviting unlimited carnal pleasures. Enjoy it while you can, boys. :rolleyes:

KYGMSY
5th May 2003, 02:17
Have you all forgotten about the word " Torque " ???

Tricky Woo
5th May 2003, 16:01
The word 'büggêration' comes in quite handy during moments of disharmony. Failing that: 'fcuk fcuk fcukity fcuk'. That's reserved for those special hammer-on-thumb moments.

Strange that 'büggêr' is far less offensive in polite company than 'fcuk'. Anyone have any good theory why this is so?

=====================================
Buckingham Palace, 1946.

Mountbatten: "I have returned from fcuking Burma, Ma'am, where I saved your husband's fcuking Empire from those Japanese fcukers."

Queen Mum: "From henceforth you shall be known as Lord Mountbatten of Burma... er, and please don't use those coarse sailor words, dear Louis, you're not on the poopdeck now, you know. One gets shocked rather easily..."

Mountbatten: "One regrets, Ma'am, that one's language goes to büggêry when one is too long in the company of men."

Queen Mum: "Bit of a büggêr, eh?"

Mountbatten: "Still, they're a jolly bunch of büggêrs, so no regrets."

Queen Mum: "You always were a kindly old büggêr, dear Louis."

Mountbatten: "Daft büggêr, more like. Er, any chance of a quick fcuk while the
King's away?"

Queen Mum: "Louis! Your language!"

Mountbatten: "Sorry, Ma'am. Now, get yer kecks off..."

=====================================

TW

separator
5th May 2003, 17:51
For some reason I have always found "verdant" to be disturbingly arousing.

sep

Departures Beckham
5th May 2003, 22:29
DISCOMBOBULATE ..... especially as it discombobulates most people who hear it!

steamchicken
5th May 2003, 22:38
Savage!

BTW, and to provide 20+ characters, I know what this "Gouranga" business means. Years ago, I began noticing that bridges on the M1 and M62 in Yorkshire often had the word GOURANGA marked on them, usually with single posters for each letter, black on a high-vis yellow background. One day, I came across a scruffy, hippyish little chap soliciting money for the Gouranga Foundation (I think) - he wore a cap marked with a great G and addressed passers-by with a cry of "Gouranga!"

Not surprisingly, people were avoiding him.

Curiosity, though, overcame me, and I asked him what it was all about. He claimed it was some silly-arse quasi-Buddhist sect, I forget the details. GOURANGA apparently means BE HAPPY. When I demanded answers about the bridge decorators, he simply replied "That's someone who must have a lot of faith".

So now you know.

Little Blue
5th May 2003, 22:44
DILLIGAF !!!
/
For those who haven't seen Kevin Bloody Wilson
on his latest tour.....
The perfect riposte to any situation ..
Do I Look Like I Give A Fcuk !!
DILLIGAF ;)

IFTB
5th May 2003, 22:56
Being a foreigner chappie (at least not a native english speaker) I had enormous problems with the word "fire extinguisher" (OK, two words).
Now, after repeating it on the way home from school for about fifty million times, I am the master of pronouncing it.

Antidisestablishmentaeronism (if that's the way you write it) is a nice one too.

Anotyher one from mu english lessons is "validictionary vocabulary"

"Flabbergasted" has a nice ring to it.

Andrew M
6th May 2003, 07:26
I think Tits is a great word - just reminds you of the beautiful little birds everytime you say it :D

Taildragger55
6th May 2003, 19:59
Pustule

Carbuncle

and, best of all,

Uncle Cracker
7th May 2003, 05:35
Taildragger

You are quite right, how could I have forgotten.
Excellent.

Synthetic
7th May 2003, 06:33
No we're not finished yet, Synth.

Nah I meant 'Thankyou' 'cos that's what I say when someone has done something nice for me:)

Failing that - Didactic, or bifurcating

fourthreethree
7th May 2003, 06:43
Why has nobody voted for the simplest, yet best word in the English language. So many uses, but at its best shouted at a moment of pure pleasure.........maybe even repeated several times.......

"YES!!!"

Andrew M
7th May 2003, 06:48
A good one after a little drink is Hippopotamus - try it next time you are legless. :D