PDA

View Full Version : Looking forward to the "anti capitalist" demonstrations in London?

Hufty
30th Apr 2003, 20:40
Well it is almost that time of year again - the time when the great unwashed start smashing up Starbucks and McDonalds outlets.

There was a small "away team" across the road from my office in the City this morning - they stood about shouting for a while before either getting bored or needing the toilet or something and wandering off. Already heard a rumor about some guy getting his tie cut off by a protestor and then getting arrested for twatting him!

Tomorrow will be a different story when it gets underway for real. I for one will be getting into work very early (based on the assumption that the anti-capitalism movement likes a lie-in) and will be watching the fun from the window.

I wonder what others think about all this stuff...

newswatcher
30th Apr 2003, 21:06
http://www.resist.org.uk/
http://www.riseup.net/ourmayday/mayday/index.html

Hufty
30th Apr 2003, 21:20
This is great! My firm is listed under "Corporate Scum", although they have the wrong address so it looks like somebody else will be getting a surprise!

tony draper
30th Apr 2003, 21:27
Lets hope they haven't been watching the news recently, lots of statues to pull down and museums to loot down in the smoke.
:mad:

topcat450
30th Apr 2003, 21:28
Take some shower gel with you Hufty..and give the mucky pups a good wash while they're below!

I find it all rather amusing (although not if your the one getting your property trashed - granted)...I mean...they all act like they've NEVER been in a McDonalds..FFS How did they all get to London? Car? Bus? Plane? whatever...you can bet it ran on fuel and so ironically enough...they help Shell's profits by travelling and using fuel...yet then go on to protest about Shell and the like.

:confused:

Go figure?

djk
30th Apr 2003, 21:34
I'm so glad I'm not working tomorrow :)

Windy Militant
30th Apr 2003, 21:57
I'm doing my bit to support them! Every time I go into the Local Co op I buy a fairtrade Crunchy milk chocolate bar. Absoballylutely scrumptious and sticking two fingers up at the corporate scumbags at the same time! cracking:ok:

But on a serious note if more people would support their local cafe and buy fair trade goods on a regular basis then the scumbags would eventually have to
A) Give us products which actually taste like food.
and
B) Treat their staff like human beings.

Burning the shops does no good whatsoever apart from letting off some steam.
Nice to see that Mc D's brain washing campaign has back fired on them though. It seems that the kids are now turning their backs on them as it's not hip to be seen in the place where you had your seventh birthday party when you're a teenager. :)

Dop
30th Apr 2003, 22:17
I'm amused by the fact that their list of Corporate Scum includes an employment agency... Know nothing about Reed, so I can only imagine someone really hates the idea of someone finding them a job...:p

simon brown
30th Apr 2003, 22:24
Hang on a minute, isnt it capitalism via tax paying corporations that allows the unwashed to have student grants and be able to pay for their unemployment benefit.

These people always fall in to the same catagory; idealistic, naive students, whom if they get their degree will be holding Islington dinner parties in 20 years time, or no hopers that given any amount of encouragement and money are just complete wasters.

You will always find on the fringes, the BNP skinheads, because that day, Milllwall are not playing.

If you dont like a particular corporation, dont purchase its products. Vote with your feet not a brick...

MarkD
30th Apr 2003, 23:45
check this out - a bit dated...

Thursday, May 03, 2001 10:48 AM

PRO-CAPITALIST DAY OF ACTION

In response to the May Day Riots/Reclaim the Streets Protests the following is proposed:

Next Friday will be the PRO-CAPITALIST DAY OF ACTION. On this day we ask you all to don your finest pinstripe suits, put new batteries in your PDAs and glue your mobile phones to your ears. Then head off down to Brighton to disrupt as many dreadlocked soap dodging tree huggers with dogs on string as possible.

Plan of action:

* to picket henna tattoo stalls
* throw cheap pewter jewelry into the sea
* occupy the dole office and glue the doors shut
* throw soap and other cleansing materials at the men with dogs on string
* shave the arm pits of all rug munchers
* dig up the road and line it with photocopies of huge salary slips
* hang the dogs on string with their string as a little ironic joke
* blockade the prominade with open top sports cars
* buy up all local supplies of Special Brew, Tennants Super, high octane white cider and Rizla - then throw them all in the sea

topcat450
1st May 2003, 00:22
This bit made me laugh:

XXXX is a trade unionist from London who took part in the protests in Gothenburg in June 2001. Mr X has been imprisoned for violent rioting - in fact all he did was to roll a small stone along the ground into the gutter. xxxxx was scapegoated by the Swedish authorities, who shot at protesters with live ammunition without any warning.

Now who REALLY believes all he did was "roll a small stone along the ground into the gutter"

And who'd have thought the Swedes wouldn't put up with 'em...they just start shooting! Well done Sweden. I bet they'll think twice before they protest over there again! :ok:

GustyOrange
1st May 2003, 00:58
I'd love to napalm the fcukers.

Other than that waving a wad of fifty pound notes from the office window seems to annoy them.

Gusty

pilotwolf
1st May 2003, 01:15
Well lets just hope they've all bu**ered off back to their tree houses and mud tunnels before we arrive and spend HUGE amounts of cash at various drinking and eating establishments...

..all under the guise of a Private Flying Bash!!!

:E

angels
1st May 2003, 14:37
Just to update, it's peeing down here in the City. The soap dodgers won't like that!

newswatcher
1st May 2003, 16:01
Pilotwolf, regretably, some of the participants otherwise live a "normal" live, but think that attendance at these demonstrations is some form of social recreation.

You may be interested in one Mark Brown, a 'Rebel Millionaire' environmental activist. He is the heir to the Vestey family fortune and is reported to have an income of around 44,000 a year - proceeds from a 2.7m trust fund. His father and grandfather built the family fortune on the meat trade and Dewhurst butcher chain. Ironically, much of the fortune - which once stood at 1bn - came from the beef the family supplied to the McDonald's hamburger chain.

Attempts were made to prosecute him after the "Carnival Against Capitalism", but it seem he "escaped" due to a technicality.

foghorn
1st May 2003, 17:12
The violent 1999 protests in the City had a funny side:

At one point the futures traders at LIFFE were spraying champagne and ripped-up fivers from the second floor windows all over the great unwashed rioting below.

Priceless...

Isn't it great how 'rebel' Mark Brown sits fat dumb and happy on his private income from his family's millions, while trying his hardest to deny ordinary people a living.

Bloody Trustafarian...

PilotsPal
1st May 2003, 18:31
All quiet in EC4 right now. There's a heavy police presence and we've only got one entrance to the building where I work in use, plus extra security people. My personal contribution to the occasion has been to come to work in jeans. Just had another heavy shower so that'll keep most of them indoors I imagine.

Tinstaafl
1st May 2003, 19:27
What a pity it wasn't blue skies & 15 deg this morning....

...until the twits start their 'protest': Then it should p!iss down on them for the rest of the day with a nice 10 deg temp drop.

Those that get pneumonia can then enjoy health care paid for by capitalists who work...

BALIX
1st May 2003, 19:27
Just out of interest, why do the lefties of the world have such a liking for May 1st?

I thought it was the day that all the village virgins rolled naked in the morning dew and shouted out "White Rabbits" or something similar and in the evening everyone danced around the maypole which was, somehow, a symbol of fertility (tall and erect I guess).

All sounds like great fun but not specifically restricted to your average Marxist.

Biggles Flies Undone
1st May 2003, 19:40
All quiet in EC3 as well.

No sign of the usual mob of soap dodgers trying to hold up the traffic on London Bridge this morning - mind you it was hammering down with rain at the time I crossed.

Maybe 1st May fell on 'Giro day' this year?

Chaffers
1st May 2003, 19:40
God knows why they pick a bank holiday for their wee rebellion, its not as though any of the filthy ranks have jobs. Would be tempting to stock up on washing up liquid and an apartment high up above McDonalds. Threatening them with a wash would be significant deterrent I imagine.

newswatcher
1st May 2003, 19:49
Balix,

I believe this comes from the States, year 1886, when May 1st was set as a date for all firms to adopt an 8 hour day. This campaign by the AFL (American equivalent of the TUC) had been running for about 2 years, and was to culminate in a strike on May 1st.

The days after the strike were to see a number of violent protests and several deaths.

In July 1889, a delegate of the AFL, attended an international labour conference in Paris, and proposed that May 1 be adopted as an annual international day of labour solidarity.

The proposal was adopted and, accordingly, May 1 became an international workers day.

Open to other suggestions!

Hufty
1st May 2003, 19:54
I'm in EC4 too - there was a bit of shouting about an hour ago and the police were out and about, but I couldn't see a great deal...disappointing in a way, but I'm also relieved that things are going on pretty much as normal.

topcat450
1st May 2003, 20:53
You were all too early...you all had to get up to go to work....after last night's session on the Special Brew discussing tactics they're probably only just getting out of thier fox-holes. :D

BALIX
1st May 2003, 21:38
Balix,

I believe this comes from the States, year 1886, when May 1st was set as a date for all firms to adopt an 8 hour day. This campaign by the AFL (American equivalent of the TUC) had been running for about 2 years, and was to culminate in a strike on May 1st.

A bit ironic that the significance of the date comes from the hated USA.

angels
1st May 2003, 22:04
All quiet in my neck of the woods as well. Saw a few people that 'stood out a little' shall we say, but they were fine and unaggressive.

Am now going to -- it seems -- wander past BFU's gaff to London Bridge. First cricket match of the season today (as long as the square hasn't got too wet)!

Synthetic
1st May 2003, 23:34
I would say that these people in common with everyone are entitled to be heard, but at the point where they start looting, vandalism etc, they become common criminals and should be treated as such.

Edited for an outbrake ov iliturasy:O

tony draper
1st May 2003, 23:44
Amen Synthetic, who do these people think they are?, Iraqi's.
;)