PDA

View Full Version : nutrasweet side effects

pilotbear
30th Apr 2003, 17:55
On September 26th 2000 an article (essential tremors) was posted here regarding the side effects of artificial sweetners on pilots, and the 'authorities' denial of such.
I was wondering if anybody has any further insights or experiences. Or is there still silence.

PlaneTruth
30th Apr 2003, 19:28
pilotbear,

If you want some insight into the effects of aspartame, one of the most popular artificial sweetners, simply go to google.com and type in aspartame. Before you do, grab a cold one. You'll be there awhile.

I had a great article (now misplaced) that detailed the effects of aspartame as it decomposes in the container. Seems it has a very low temperature threshold before the sweetener decomposes into three toxic substances. I know firsthand because I live in Phoenix Arizona and I had a case of my wife's diet drink in the garage. She mentioned about halfway through the summer that the drink tasted really off. Evidently, after only a few days above 75 degrees, the sweetener agent breaks down into formaldahyde, wood alchohol (the variant that makes you go blind), and one other equally toxic chemical. I now no longer let her drink the diet stuff unless it comes straight from the soda fountain. Think of how many cases of diet drinks get toasty in shipping from the canning plant?

The stuff gave me a headache the first time I tried it in 1983. Can't stand it. Better to skip a soda now and then and run the risk of an extra pound than risk all the chemicals and side effects. Some people aren't initially affected. I knew one poor guy who couldn't fly without a six-pack in his helmet bag. He'd go through a dozen cans in a day. Wonder what shape he's in now?

PT

Good luck!:yuk: