PDA

View Full Version : Whats Perf A??

Rob 747
30th Aug 2001, 16:07
What is Performance A???

I know it is something to do with groundschool, but is it still part of the JAR ATPL's???

Lukeskywalker
30th Aug 2001, 17:27
Perf A was a big money making scam for the CAA . Don't worry it's not part of the JAR syllabus .

RVR800
30th Aug 2001, 17:56
Aircraft Performance Category A

These are aircraft that never need to make
a forced landing in the event of a single
engine failure. e.g. 737

The Perf A exam consisted of a load of calcs
graphs for the L-1011 Tristar to determine
MTOW V1 V2 V4 etc so that these legal requirements could be adhered to

Its all in the JAR exams now so that you have a perf A pass equivalent if you passed all the JAA exams - however if youre a national ATPL exam pass holder then you have to sit the JAR equivalent which is a piece of Pi55 in comparison to its predessessor

Rob 747
30th Aug 2001, 18:33
Cheers

Well that clears that up! :rolleyes:

What about angles of convergence then?

Why do we need to know these?

Ive got the old 4 forces notes....they dont explain a thing!!!! :confused:

Edited coz I use bad Language! (Happy now SCROGGS)

[ 31 August 2001: Message edited by: Rob 747 ]

ILS27R
30th Aug 2001, 19:03
Rob 27R

What do you want to know about angles of convergence?

Convergence is when the meridians of longitude all meet up or CONVERGE. Namely at the poles the convergence is maximum and at the equator it is zero! You can tell then that convergency is a function of latitude!

You can calculate convergency by using a small formula:

Convergency= change in long x sin mean lat

Hope this helps. Best ask the JAA about why you need to know this! :)

Rob 747
30th Aug 2001, 20:06
Cheers for that!!

The reason i want to know is because i am preparing to study for the ATPLs.....Im reading the notes before i start.

The first few pages of nav start with convergency. I dont know if there are any questions on it,but i sure know it doesnt make sense to me and it seems absolutely irelavent to flying an aircraft :D :D

The other thing is- I know
Convergence= Change in Long x sin of the mean lat.

What is sine??? :confused:

Someone told me this is Trigenometry.... :confused: :( :confused: I dont know anything about Trig!! :(

Edited coz i use bad language!!!
( Happy now SCROGGS? )

ILS27R
30th Aug 2001, 20:19
Rob 747

Dont worry about where trig functions such as sine come from. All you need is a scientific calculator. Type in the angle such as 56 and then press the sin button on the calculator. It has then just told you what sin 56 is! Then use this value in your formula! Problem solved!!!

Rob 747
30th Aug 2001, 21:49
CHEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :p :p :D :D :p

scroggs
31st Aug 2001, 01:19
Rob747,
I won't go into a long diatribe about the benefits of background knowledge to a professional, of whatever persuasion. I have a feeling it might be lost on you. Let's just say that in a job that relies so heavily on charts and map projections, it's not a bad idea to have some understanding of how they work. Flying is not simply a matter of moving the stick and knobs and waving at the hoi-polloi!
As an aside, I don't find it particularly amusing or clever that you like the use of the f-word on this forum. Please try to make your point without profanities; they add nothing of value to your contribution.

GARDENER
31st Aug 2001, 11:27
Take a pill Scroggs, the exams are just another hoop to jump through, if you can read a chart thats one thing but to have to name a chart,tell the examiner whether its a polar stereographic or mercator etc is a load of tosh. How many pilots remember the ins and outs of everything they were taught for the exams a few years down the road-not many. Forget the exams the important thing, dont you think,is knowing how to fly?

Rob 747
31st Aug 2001, 12:09
Lighten up!!!

Anyway.....Tell me the convergence angle scroggs.

N33 45 W25 14

N31 20 E27 23

Answer that and i will respect you as a highly knowledgable person!

Scroggs,

You are a moderator??
What do you know about PC's?
Or even the Server that this site is being run from?

What RAID level are you using?

If you cant answer that, then surely you shouldnt be a moderator. Purely because you dont know enough about IT.
True? :eek: :eek:

RVR800
31st Aug 2001, 12:28
Scroggs

>I don't find it particularly amusing or >clever that you like the use of the f-word >on this forum.

Good job you aren't moderating the Military
Pilots forum then old chap :D

Lets keep the wannabees forum clean
here, here !!

:cool: