PDA

View Full Version : RAF don't tolerate fools?

Growbag
30th Apr 2003, 01:36
> A little snippet from the Daily Mirror, Monday
> April 7th 2003, page 4
>
> Brit Pilot's Punch-up
> A Furious British Helicopter Pilot who came under
> "friendly fire" from
> American troops landed yards from them, leapt out
> and exchanged punches with
> a US Marine. The Chinook pilot shouted at him: "When
> was the last time you
> saw a f****** Iraqi in a helicopter?" The pilot and
> the marine had to be
> pulled apart as American troops advanced on the
> north of Baghdad, according
> to US reports from US Central Command in Qatar.
>
> British military spokesman Group Captain Al Lockwood
> said: "I'm afraid it
> would be an RAF kind of thing to do. "These guys are
> not known for
> tolerating fools gladly."

This response from Gp Capt Lockwood has Soooooo much milage!!!! :ok:

mutleyfour
30th Apr 2003, 03:41
Wouldnt have happened quite like that in the forties.. I can picture it now..

"I say old man, would you mind awfully not to fire ones rifles at my kite. its beginning to look like a sieve, which isnt becoming of the Royal Air Force. Now be a good man and tell your chums the same".

http://www.coolbuddy.com/icon/planes/ico_plane18.gif

Andrew McKenzie
1st May 2003, 20:22
That, honestly, is one of the funniest things I have heard in a LONG time!!

Blacksheep
1st May 2003, 22:51
I'm not sure about that 'polite' exchange mutley. My fathers ship opened fire on a Typhoon by mistake and he came around and strafed them for their trouble. They were lucky he'd already used up his rockets. With such an ungentlemany response I suppose he must have been a sergeant. :hmm:

Through difficulties to the cinema

tony draper
1st May 2003, 23:40
Didn't a American f16 pilot pop off a missile at a Patriot Battery when it locked him up? . :uhoh:

HUDcripple
2nd May 2003, 02:53
Yes, as I recall, it was the same Patriot battery that frat'd the RAF and the USN..... Given that record, I'd do that too...(if I had a HARM...which I don't, and never did...)

Brilliant quote! It never ceases to amaze me how polite the English can be while taking the p**s out of someone!

PS. Mr A McKenzie from Hornet Crse 9601?

BOAC
2nd May 2003, 04:50
Someone else fill in the details please?

RAF Hunter Squadron, somewhere (Germany?), time ?1960'/70's?

T'other Squadron, Hunter up on jacks in the hangar facing said Squadron, (ie weight off wheels!), A/C Plonk (accidentally?) fires a few rounds of 30mm Aden cannon hardware which pass through first Squadron's buildings. Boss of first Squadron sends signal to Boss of second saying, "If you do not cease immediately, we will fire back"

Priceless!

CarltonBrowne the FO
2nd May 2003, 21:18
On the Dartmouth Training ships (Peterel and Sandpiper I think) in the late 80s, we're just entering the Dart, with the other ship in trail behind us..... their signal lamp starts flashing at us, "DO NOT GET THE WRONG IDEA WE ARE FOLLOWING MERELY FROM CURIOSITY." :D

keepin it in trim
3rd May 2003, 01:59
Remember listening to a wonderful conversation on "eagle safety" during a JMC many years back. Ship had cleared its helo to go off and do a bit of pinging in an area, some time later comes the time for a bit of live firing by the ship. Ship declares area clear and starts lobbing 4.5 inch shells into it. Helo watches as several of these go into the water very close by. Having managed to get shelling stopped and explained what had happened helo captain closed the conversation with eagle safety with the wonderful line " and I'd like you to express to mother, that I am TO SAY THE LEAST, less then happy with this situation!"

Top marks for understatement.