PDA

View Full Version : Freo Notam

compressor stall
29th Apr 2003, 22:02
Got this Notam for Jandakot last night.

ACFT ARE ADVISED TO REMAIN CLEAR OF AN AREA
WI 1.0NM OF S32 03.00 E115 44.70 (PORT OF FREMANTLE)
DUE TO INCREASED SECURITY LEVELS
UNAPPROVED FLIGHT IN THIS AREA WILL BE TREATED AS A THREAT TO SECURITY
FROM 04 290001 TO 05 041200

What does this acutally mean? Is this an ADIZ? Will I be engaged and destroyed if I fly over this area in a rented 172 looking at the deck of the USS Constellation? Is it a restricted area or not?

Woomera
29th Apr 2003, 22:42
Yes, yes and yes.

compressor stall
30th Apr 2003, 09:54
Pulls out VTC...

According to my VTC, the port of Fremantle is below 2000 OCTA. There is no restricted area associated with it.

So my question remains...is this a temporary restricted area? If so then why is it not written as such? Airservices have been known to slap restricted areas via NOTAM around recent aircraft accidents, or hotels where the fellatio loving former president stayed.

My question remains why is this such an "airy fairy" "restricted area"? I am "advised" not ordered.

CS

BTW I am not about to fly in there..its hypothetical!

gaunty
30th Apr 2003, 10:19
Stallie

I think it's called one of them big mutha Carrier Battle Groups, that come here for the odd bit of R n R n replenishment.

They're probably still a bit trigger happy and after Yemen not surprisingly are pretty careful with thier assets

There is some talk of "home porting" and "crew transfer" taking place here rather than sailing all the way home n back again.:eek:

Torres
30th Apr 2003, 11:31
And Stallie, considering almost 100% of the "collateral damage" to "air assets" in the Iraqi conflict was caused by projectiles branded "Made in the USA", I wouldn't suggest you go test the NOTAM!
http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/biggrinshoot.gif

PLovett
30th Apr 2003, 12:07
Yeah.

Just think of all them little R2D2 thingies tracking you. You know, the ones that can put a cannon shell in every square inch of a football field before you can say, "What's that?" :uhoh:

Make a mess of a 172.:{

Windshear
30th Apr 2003, 15:18
Torres ... you and I could sneak up on em coastal ..... wiv' done it before :O

ITCZ
30th Apr 2003, 17:27
Those directions also put you pretty close to the Swanbourne SAS HQ.

Seeing as they were named as a unit that the Coalition would most certainly use for their expertise in Iraq, they might have been getting sensitive as well.

That Notam has been up for a few weeks now, hasn't it?

the wizard of auz
30th Apr 2003, 19:25
Must be a sign of the times...... I remember quite a few years ago, me and my instructor set up on a final approach for a carrier, the only result we noticed after terminating at about three hundred ADL (the D is for Deck) was a rather rushed apearance the people on the deck had. Now days you cant even fly near em or they shoot at ya.

Capn Bloggs
30th Apr 2003, 22:44
Hey Gaunty,

I flew over said area yesterday (don't worry, I wasn't shot at: the thing I fly doesn't put out enough heat to be detected by a sidewinder) and it wasn't one of the "big muthas": only the pipsqeak Constellation. Couldn't see the deck for jets, though!

I wouldn't worry about the security: I hope the navy boys were warned they are in Carmen Country and she'll have their guts for garters if they make any noise attempting to shoot anything down!

The Voice
1st May 2003, 08:17
hey Stallie whatcha doing reading stuff for the west coast .. seen the light and moved huh?

compressor stall
1st May 2003, 08:41
Hi Voice, long time no hear.

Yep, I saw the light...

KK has the goss.

CS

Towering Q
1st May 2003, 10:48
Comp Stall...I realise you have to dodge many 172's and Grobs whilst joining the circuit at YPJT after dark, but surely that shouldn't put you near Freo.:eek:

Torres
1st May 2003, 11:07
Windy. You do it like before. But I'll watch this time. :8

50 Cal
1st May 2003, 11:23
Compressor Stall,

Thought you might be interested in something I heard on Brisbane FS and at the same time on 121.5:

" Aircraft tracking 095 at 500' towards [ whatever place it was ] you are transiting a notamed prohibited area and are advised to clear that area immediately"

15 Secs or so later " aircraft transiting area bla bla bla you are heading towards U.S Naval vessels and they have advised me that if you get within 500 metres of them your flight will be terminated." At this stage the controller was getting quite anxious!!

This was also broadcast by someone on 121.5 The last transmission I heard was words of this effect.
" Aircraft transiting area bla you are within one mile of US navy ships, turn right immediately.......

On 121.5 I heard " For christ sakes man get out of there!!

The alleged aircraft must have turned and headed off as we didn't hear about it on the news!!

True story.

But if you want to go and have a look, go for it??

Icarus2001
1st May 2003, 12:09
Surely the question is with what authority is this notam written and exactly what does it mean.

"Advised to remain clear" Is it a requirement? Is it a PRD ?

"Unapproved flight in this area..." suggests that one can gain approval. From whom? The US military? An interesting situation. I would like to see it tested.

kickstart
1st May 2003, 13:53
NOTAM

Pilots are advised not to venture into town tonight in the hope of getting lucky as it will no doubt be second's.

Money talk's

flyboy6876
1st May 2003, 14:05
CS, that notam has been coming out the last few times the Godamn Yankees have been in town. When the Abe Lincoln was here there was a no fly zone around it, and then the one for Freo that you have seen. Did'nt affect the normal run down the coast in the lane at all as far as I could see, you just got a real good view of all the vessels.

compressor stall
1st May 2003, 20:22
I can see why its there, but just want to know what it MEANS.

50 cal

Scary Story...when was that?

Towering Q

:E Check your PMs

The above NOTAM is an advisory, not a RESTRICTED area. If a C172 was engaged and destroyed on a jolly, methinks there could be a reasonably large diplomatic incident and legal battles.

Seeing no crime is being committed, what right do they have to shoot (besides their belief that they are God's gift to Earth)?

CS

Capt Claret
2nd May 2003, 07:52
Always thought you were a master of understatement, "God's gift to the Earth" indeed, more like the bl00dy Universe!
:yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

How's KG going?

compressor stall
2nd May 2003, 09:19
Hey CC..long time no talk!

Very well thanks! Check PM's.

CS

Travelling Toolbox
2nd May 2003, 12:35
Seeing no crime is being committed, what right do they have to shoot (besides their belief that they are God's gift to Earth)?

Stallie

I don't know but consider this:

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong someone) that all US Navy ships are considered Sovereign US Soil. You ca't get much more sovereign, than one of their Capital ships! And as a Capital ship, they would be considered a prime terrorist target.

Regardless of whose waters they have sailed into, their sovereign status remains unchanged - hence their perceived right to "defend their soil" so to speak.

Now throw into to the mix what happened in Yemen with a small speed boat, the fact that these ships have just returned from a real shooting war and do probably EXPECT retaliation from the loons out there for their successes.

YES - I would say the voice challenge you hear if you were stupid enough to tempt fate and get inside their comfort zone would be American direct from the flat top tower!

We may be a strong ally but to keep safe, they probably suspect an attack could come from anywhere at anytime and at what are perceived the safest of ports.

I don't know the compliment of the Constellation, but personally, if I was driving one of the Big Muthas with twin reactors, 5000 plus personnel and millions of dollars in flying hardware garaged below and above deck, I'd be pretty towie whenever in shallow water.

Best to give them a wide birth and grant them their wish to be left alone. :ok:

Capt Snooze
2nd May 2003, 18:32
I think everyone can see why there would be an advisory, and why our 'friendly forces' might just be inclined to act first and argue about it later.

The question is: Wouldn't a prohibited area be more appropriate?

Snooze
(who's nowhere near the joint)

50 Cal
3rd May 2003, 18:22
Compressor Stall,

This incident happened a couple of months ago as I recall.....We had just transfered to the first centre frequency south of Laravale and heard it all then. It was also a saturday morning so I don't know if all the frequencies in that area were combined!

Yeah it was scary to listen to.....I remember my other crew member saying " F*** that was one of the scariest things I've ever heard!! "

See Ya

Fission
5th May 2003, 17:23
Hmm, and considering the poor command of english that some drivers out of JT have, there could have been a severe bout of confusion !

Imagine the scene in the cockpit as told by Kevin B Wilson.
Ha, what the F*** was that ?

Hehe

Free Beer - Tomorrow

Capn Bloggs
6th May 2003, 20:25
Fission,

That's the second time in history that saying has been used: the first was by the Mayor of Hiroshima.

We want free beer...today!

gaunty
6th May 2003, 22:37
Yup the Connie is a tiddler compared to the Big Muthas, but probably still has more firepower on board than our Air Force and protected by a bunch of ships that would give our Navy a run for their money.

Thats not to say that man for man our blokes and blokesses are second to none in professionalism, we just don't have as many.

And thats not counting the 4 kick a&se subs waiting outside to take her home.

Watching them leave harbour the other day, I couldn't help feeling glad they are our mates.

The backdrop to all of this was the beautiful "Amerigo Vespucci" Italian Navy trainng ship, which sorta put some scale on just how far we have come.

http://www.schoonerman.com/10019391.jpg

I know which one is the most beautiful.:ok: