PDA

View Full Version : Airbase - Secret Wilts Location

Top Bunk Tester
29th Apr 2003, 16:32
On Thursday 1 May 2003 22:30 begins the new 6 part series of Airbase on ITV. Filmed at a secret Wiltshire location, the series will follow the exploits of the venerable Alberts and their crews as they prepare for war (In the case of the J this will have meant extra butty boxes and in the case of the K, seat armour, flak jackets, NVGs, chaff & flare etc ;) )

Spacer
29th Apr 2003, 18:49
Just a quick note, its seemingly only on in the Central tv region. Everyone else gets some comedy, or some Scottish election coverage (any difference ;) )

Top Bunk Tester
29th Apr 2003, 18:55
Further to Spacers observation, anybody with Sky can access Central ITV by adding the regional channels to their setup

BEagle
29th Apr 2003, 19:35
How to receive ITV Central for technophobes who receive a different ITV region on Sky Digital Channel 103:

To access ITV Central, you will need to add it to the "Other Channels" section of the "Services" menu. Proceed as follows:

On the handset, select “Services”, then “4 - System Setup”, then “4 - Add Channels”. Enter “Frequency” as “10832”, change “Polarisation” to “H”, “Symbol Rate” to “22.0” and “FEC” to “5/6”. Then select “Find Channels” and press “Select”. A list of ITV regions should then appear, scroll down to highlight “ITV1 Central”, press the yellow button on the handset and a tick should appear in the highlight. Then press ‘Select’ and you should read “Channel line-up complete”. Press the “Sky” button on the handset to go back to the normal programme.

Then to watch ITV Central, select “Services”, then “6 - Other Channels”. Highlight “ITV 1 Central” and press “Select”.

None of this should cock-up your normal Sky channels!

Top Bunk Tester
29th Apr 2003, 19:47
Beags, even though you have to wear blues to the office, you are indeed a God. I would have posted the above info but didn't have it readily to hand, Thanks

Gainesy
29th Apr 2003, 20:49
Episode 1: " StopStart and the Steak & Kidney Pie."
Episode 2: " Our Boys on the Piss in Akrotiri."
Episode 3: " Chicken & Mushroom Pies en route to the Desert."
Episode 4: " Butty Boxes of Mass Nausea."
Episode 5: " MREs even the Loadie won't eat." (Warning not suitable for civvies of a nervous disposition or delicate stomach.)
Episode 6: " Some Senior Hat Lining up a BWOS/LockMart job."

...but I'll Beagalise the box and look forward to it, thanks TBT.:)

BEagle
29th Apr 2003, 20:54
Nice of you to say that, TBT. Actually I'm not expecting to wear blues again - or a green bag, for that matter. Currently on annual/resettlement/terminal leave with 101 days until the F1250 gets handed in......when told last year that it was going to be a ground tour for me this Spring, I pulled the black-and-yellow.

Looking forward to seeing the programme though!

newswatcher
29th Apr 2003, 21:14
This has been done before by Carlton(Central).

http://www.raf-waddington.com/specials/e_sentry/carlton.htm

Top Bunk Tester
29th Apr 2003, 21:34
Beags

Sorry to hear that, believe me the grass isn't always greener, hope it won't stop your marvellous inputs to this forum though:(

NW

Yes, but now the're doing it on a station with 'combat' aircraft :ouch:

newswatcher
29th Apr 2003, 22:15
TBT, and what's wrong with the E-3D?

Top Bunk Tester
29th Apr 2003, 22:33
NW

Any aircraft with an Engineer can't be all bad, but it's not exactly down & dirty in the muck & bullets, is it:confused:

The Gorilla
30th Apr 2003, 00:15
Oh believe me, we would be if it was left up to some of those FC ego's down the back...

:(

Wombat66
30th Apr 2003, 01:43
Well at least the K crews wave back at the tower more than the Js do. Yes I know it's sad but we have to get through the day somehow :cool:

Art Field
30th Apr 2003, 01:44
Beagle, good luck on your dispensing of duties military, I'm sure that while some might be glad to see you go there will be many who will miss your unique approach to life. Just remember that when you leave you become as welcome as a f**t in a phone box on any station from that moment on.

Magic Mushroom
30th Apr 2003, 06:59
Hope that Airbase 2 is better than the original. The Waddo result was very disappointing given the amount of time and effort that went into it.

Regards,
M2

rivetjoint
30th Apr 2003, 15:52
They edited you out did they M2? :)

Magic Mushroom
30th Apr 2003, 18:21
RJ
Hit the nail on the head! Apart from some brief cameo appearances in the background anyway!! I sacked my agent as a result!!!
Regards
M2:D

Autorev
1st May 2003, 05:09
Beagle
Just where did you find out the sky thingmy!!!???? Brilliant!!!

However...you don't happen to know how to add regional
BBC channels (BBC1 Scotland) so we can all get to watch the 'proper' football' that the BBC screen north of the border!

BEagle
1st May 2003, 05:43
Although your Sky Digital receiver can pick them up, the viewing card registers you to a specific location and prevents you from viewing those channels in England.

Bug gered if I can understand why. Probably a contract thing with the footie magnates!

Magic Mushroom
2nd May 2003, 08:11
Just seen the initial episode of Airbase 2 and thought that it was a consierable improvement on the original Waddington version!
Regards
M2:ok:

Wycombe
2nd May 2003, 16:08
As someone who used regularly tramp the pans at the "Airbase" (mostly weekends only!) until a few years ago, really enjoyed it.

Thought the stuff shot at the beach was great - where is it? (if that's not a state secret) - Pendine??

Didn't realise the K's had so many new in-cockpit gizmos!

Hi to the loadie :O

newswatcher
2nd May 2003, 16:15
Really enjoyed it, some interesting "characters" emerging.

Many thanks to BEagle for revealing the Sky process!:D

Did I see a DC-10 in the background at one stage?

Captain Gadget
2nd May 2003, 16:27
Enjoyed the show and will be watching future episodes with interest. Hi to a number of old oppos!

Gadget :ok:

average pilot
2nd May 2003, 19:23
Wombat 66..I have always waved at the tower, man and boy, K and J. I even wave at you in the Sim, count the fingers next time!(only joking).

Art Field
3rd May 2003, 03:02
Beach scenes fascinating. Sqdn Cdr an FE, is there a Loady flexing his/her muscles around soon, my how times they are a changing.

MATZ
3rd May 2003, 03:25
Yes, the beach was Pendine. We spent about 4 hours filming day and night (NVG) stuff.

Unfortunately, no one from Tac ATC saw the programme as we were all away (nothing new there then!).

I hope the rest of the series is a good as everyone has said. The production crew (the same ones that did Waddo) were very keen to improve on their other programmes. They were full of praise for the help and co-operation that Lyneham gave.

Keep watching....

MATZ:8

adrian mole
9th May 2003, 14:39
Saw part 2 last night - not bad, although the Wg Cdr did spoil things by saying "We've been flying the Hercules since the early 70's". Actually it was April 1967....

It's a shame the Pilot's wife couldn't find any civvies to wear.

tarbaby
11th May 2003, 02:59
Beags: You be careful and don't answer the phone. They caught me half way thru the terminal leave and managed to waste a week in places like Gander, Omaha and Seattle.

BEagle
11th May 2003, 03:06
"Hello, the Savoy Grill. Herr Genschler - a table for two..ccchhhhwrrrnndlll.......A wandering Minstrel, I......chchchchc.....Gale Force five, imminent......cchchchrrrrr...."Achtung, achtung, Kartoffel Kopf....."

No chance!;)