PDA

View Full Version : How do you exercise?

Ozzy
29th Apr 2003, 06:28
topic says it all. I swim 50 laps every day and love it. I miss it when I can't get to a pool. How does the good folks of JB get their exercise?

Ozzy

tony draper
29th Apr 2003, 06:33
In the interests of a healthy life style Drapes has had weights fitted to the television remote, and now has a much smaller ashtray that needs to be emptied every hour of so, one has also increased the tension on the springs of me swivel rocking chair so gets one gets a cardio vascular excersice swivelling round betwixt puter screen and telly.
:rolleyes:

maggioneato
29th Apr 2003, 16:51
Bending down to turn the pooter on, walking from the front door to the car, to go out for lunch.And now damn it I have to mow the grass.So I suppose really, I don't do any exercise. Oops. :p

topcat450
29th Apr 2003, 16:55
running to the pub to catch last-orders having been delayed at the chip shop.

Kolibear
29th Apr 2003, 17:09
I get up and go outside for a smoke.

29th Apr 2003, 17:26
Play Football twice a week and Pool and Snooker, A lot of running and walking around the tables.

Best Regards

djk
29th Apr 2003, 18:14
I get off the train two stations early and walk the rest of the way into work

Binoculars
29th Apr 2003, 18:40
At least once a week I walk to the letterbox to get the mail instead of reversing the car out of the garage. Discipline is the key.

PilotsPal
29th Apr 2003, 19:32
Two hours a day on the London Underground - guaranteed to raise the heart rate.

Huck
29th Apr 2003, 19:59
I go down to the bookstore and leaf through a Playboy. (Apologies to L. Grizzard)

Tinstaafl
29th Apr 2003, 22:29
One sit-up per day. Half in the morning, half in the evening.

Dozza2k
29th Apr 2003, 23:01
I've alwayz been a wannabe but did'nt start lookin seriously till last summer. Realised there were weight restrictions from some airlines.:{ . Did somethin about it by joinin gym n now i'm sorted, not to mention Dr Atkins and his orange book. I may have lost 1.5 stone, but i am sure my cholestoral went sky high during that two weeks.

3-6 hrs per week sweating in a gym is mine. Optional extras include sprinting down local high street after closing time to call 'shotgun' in mates car for ride home. :cool: .

n mebbe squash wi me dad (who continues to whoop my ass)

Anthony Carn
30th Apr 2003, 01:48
Brisk walk one hour per day.

Car maintenance.

Mouse left, click, mouse right, click - repeat.

Keyboard tapping, sometimes two fingers at once !

Lugging my life around in a suitcase.

Push buttons, flick switches, wiggle a control yoke.

DIY (home maintenance and improvement)

DIY :O

LordGrumpy
30th Apr 2003, 07:07
I gets on me trusty Claude Butler racing bicycle.

(Added 30/04/2003)

Around ten to fifteen miles at a time.

Anthony Carn
30th Apr 2003, 15:53
Yes, but there's more to it than just getting on the bike. :rolleyes:

flyblue
30th Apr 2003, 15:57
gym :( and bycicle instead of the car whenever possible.

witchdoctor
30th Apr 2003, 17:01
Chasing young ladies who really don't want to be caught - marvellous sport what?:O

I wish. It's not just dogs that chase things in their sleep you know.

nearlynormalmike
30th Apr 2003, 18:52
Who was it who said "I get all the exercise I need acting as pall bearer at the funerals of my more energetic friends"

Cypher
30th Apr 2003, 20:34
I've heard the ole rompy gets the heart rate going and burns a extraordinary amount of calories..

any ladies in JB wanna join in the research of this statement?
:E :p :O

ft
30th Apr 2003, 21:30
Flying gliders. Well, the actual flying is not very hard work. But there's lots of pushing-aircraft-around-on-the-ground to be had!

I sometimes get the feeling I've been had. Working all day to get aircraft in the air for other people to get paid to break^h^h^h^h^h^h fly them - only to pay to fly my own aircraft in the evenings.

And I don't even get to blow things up... :/

/ft

Icarus
30th Apr 2003, 23:39
18 Holes 3-4 times a week, in the fresh air and sunshine. Thats a good 6+ miles each round with about 80 something brief moments of wondering why the hell I took up such a frustrating game! Oh well, at least the mid-rift and legs look a lot better for it! :p

simon brown
30th Apr 2003, 23:47
Icarus,

I can sympothise with you there. The average 18 holes to me is about 25 miles long what with my drawing and fading. Its also a very sociable game too...teeing off and then meeting back at the pin an hour later...they say it is a good walk spoilt.

topcat450
1st May 2003, 00:27
I saw a well worn copy of the Iraqi Army's fitness video this morning....seems they like their soldiers to Stand up straight....raise their arms above thier heads and leave them there as long as they can.

:O

ratsarrse
1st May 2003, 03:30
Smoking is a great form of exercise for me. I work on the second floor and don't trust the lift. The more tabs I smoke, the more times I have to trot down several flights of stairs and stagger wheezing asthmatically up them again during a day.

LordGrumpy
1st May 2003, 04:38
Oh well, at least the mid-rift and legs look a lot better for it!

Too much information. "I don't wish to know that kindly leave the stage."

captcat
1st May 2003, 05:50
Was that supposed to be funny topcat? :yuk:

solotk
1st May 2003, 07:03
3 mile jog/run twice a week

6-8 mile hard tab with weight on, every 10 days

...I think that's enough :D

HugoFirst
1st May 2003, 07:51
If my car had power steering I wouldn't get any exercise at all!

Lee
1st May 2003, 10:29
Does any one here have recreational sex?

flapsforty
1st May 2003, 15:25
Is there another type?:confused:

Lee
1st May 2003, 17:59
flapsforty,

Well, there is occupational sex, haphazard sex, .... and list goes on.

This is jetblast, is it not?

Northern Chique
1st May 2003, 18:25
well..... come to think of it .... Yes!

My patients are never light when I have to lift them... they are never slow when I need to catch them or they chase us, they are never able to get down long flights of stairs under their own power when the elevator is not working or not installed, Narcan'ed patients never seem to wake up quietly (they wake up agitated abusive and fighting)...

You can never get a place to park close to the patient... they are always the furtherest house or apartment from the parking area, they find the steepest wettest ravines to drive the car into, and the dirtiest jobs are always first, resulting in a hurried return back to base (where possible for a quick change act) and an urgent job always always always happens right after youve ordered and paid for dinner, resulting in hurried "we'll be back to get it later" (yeah right.... :( ) and a mad dash out the door to the ambulance... and on my medical exam... the doc said I was fitternow than when I did regular exercise! :p

Does
Jumping to conclusions, chasing the boss, running errands, tying up loose ends... count in the exercise equation?

X-QUORK
1st May 2003, 21:10
Currently in training for the Three Peaks Challenge (heaving yourself up and back down Ben Nevis, Scarfell Pike and Mount Snowdon in under 24 hours). I'm doing about 5 hours a week in the gymnasium on a mix of step machine, treadmill, upper body X-trainer and 70 alternate crunches a day. No problems getting to sleep at night.

If anyone's done the Challenge and can offer any top-tips they'd be gratefully received.:ok:

halo
1st May 2003, 22:04
I've been busy with my exercise/weight loss regime over the past year. I have currently lost 4.5st (down from 16 to 11.5). This is how I did it.......

- Running 60 minutes a day on an eliptical cross trainer
- 200 ab crunches a day minimum
- Walking 8 miles a day
- Cycling 12 miles a day

If you are planning on serious weight loss that you can keep off, then I would strongly advise a stringent, varied exercise program complete with sensible food eating..... I maintained a balanced diet with a lunch that comprised of 500 calories or less, and a regular dinner that isn't fat heavy, but usually could be anything at all...... The main problem I had was that I really love Lattes.... I ended up having to switch to Americanos (filter coffee) with a small amount of milk, and about 1/20th of the fat/calories

So now I'm fit and happy and full of life and I sleep like the dead!
:p

simon brown
1st May 2003, 22:18
Halo,

Blimey, how do you find so much time during the day to exercise. Im knackered after 45 minutes rowing. I notice from your profile you are an ATCO, you dont peddle the radar round and round whilst on duty do you ?:ok:

Ozzy
1st May 2003, 22:29
halo good for you mate, that's a real regime you got going there.

X-QUORK never done it meself, but I have a tip, why not use a helo?

flapsforty there's also "unusual" sex - but didn't we have that discussion:)

Ozzy

Biggles Flies Undone
1st May 2003, 22:56
Flaps - there's also Middlesex (that's when the kids interrupt you) :p

simon brown
1st May 2003, 22:59
theres always Sussex..thats when you suddenly realise your having sex.:E

Biggles Flies Undone
1st May 2003, 23:14
And Essex - where she drops her bag of chips at the vital moment :E

halo
3rd May 2003, 14:08
*laughs*. I suppose we need some form of motive power in NATS to keep the equipment running.... :p

Actually, I'm quite lucky because we have a fully equipped gym at the base of the tower so I always make an effort to go after morning shifts and before afternoon shifts... Then its normally off home and out for a walk, then the bike ride...

Working 6 days on and 4 days off always helps as well. Gives me plenty of time to do the full exercise regime.

I only started doing it because the other atcos at work started taking the p**s out of me and calling me chunky :rolleyes: , etc..... And now I can make them eat their badly chosen words :)

Uncle Cracker
3rd May 2003, 18:51
I got fed up with the gym in the airport hotel. Too small, too many people, too much waiting around etc.
That was three months ago. It took me about a month to put a stone on. One good diet later, I'm now a stone and a half the lighter. So how do I remain at this svelte (!) level? I know, I'll buy a muscle toning machine. Sixty quid from Argos (so that will make me use it.)

Made in China, patented by Satan. :eek:

This thing really is unbelievable. Used for a maximum of an hour, it will deliver up to six hundred muscle contractions via eight pads which ARE possessed by demons.

Effin' 'ell, it really is wicked...

I. M. Esperto
5th May 2003, 03:46
I'm 71, and I limit my daily exercise to stirring my Martini before every dinner. I used to shake it, but that's too much like exercise.

I never exercised in my life. I led a sedentary life, as most 20,000 hours do. I avoild vegetables, eat lots of meat, gravy, and mashed potatoes.

Last night at a restraunt, I told the waitress I didn't want the salad. I said it was rabbit food. She was startled! "How are you going to stay healthy?" she asked.

I responded with "How many 70 year old rabbits are there?"

No more stupid questions.

DCS99
5th May 2003, 05:57
Running to the gate on Staff Standby with a 23 kilo suitcase kept me in trim for years.

I. M. Esperto
5th May 2003, 06:48
Yes, Procreation. It got me 6 great kids.

Peter Davidson
5th May 2003, 08:59
Uncle Cracker - Been thinking of getting some toning pads miself. How effective are they compared to lifting weights?

Uncle Cracker
5th May 2003, 19:26
Peter D.

I've only been using them for a week but it feels like I have spent my last four days off doing crunches! They are certainly working for me. Goodbye keg, hello six-pack! :cool:

M.Mouse
5th May 2003, 21:23
I often feel like a 10 mile run but find that if I lie down the feeling passes quite quickly.

Regular exercise doesn't actually make you live longer it just seems as though you are.

:D :D :D

Peter Davidson
6th May 2003, 01:18
Right then Uncle Cracker, I think a trip to Argos is in order.

I'll treat you all to a seductive piccy when I'm all toned up! :ok:

cookie99
6th May 2003, 14:54
I masturbate in the sauna while wearing wrist weights.

Hostie from Hell
6th May 2003, 21:38
Repeatedly lifting 0.5 kilo amber coloured liquid filled weights for approximately 2 hours per evening :O