PDA

View Full Version : City of Culture?

tony draper
29th Apr 2003, 03:42
Who the hell wants this,? feckin excuse for swarms of fecking luuvies to infect the bloody place, we got enough of them tossers on me local council as it is.
Us local councill tax payers will be forking out for it for the next ten poxy years, piss on it, I'm gonna vote for Cardiff.
Bloody thousands of bloody mine artistist with white painted faces wandering me streets, don't bare thinking about, they gonna get the Rab C Nesbit treatment if they approach Drapes. :suspect: :E :rolleyes:

witchdoctor
29th Apr 2003, 04:41
Newcastle will get all the culture it needs anyway if me and Mrs WD get the chance to leave Smogland - I keep it between me toes!!!! That should keep the luvvies away - eugh!:yuk: :}

MMEMatty
29th Apr 2003, 04:50
Leaving Smogland WD? Why? Can't get Parmo's anywhere but here! We are god's chosen people, trust me.

I'm going to vote for Newcastle, Just so that we can moan about them being Luvvies and laugh at their high council tax rates for the next 10 years :E

Matty

witchdoctor
29th Apr 2003, 04:57
Hey Matty,

Obviously not checked your council tax bill lately then - don't call 700+ cheap for a house within a stone's throw of Gi-Gi's (purveyor of the finest parmos and pizzas in the land). Suspect I might be making more trips back to smogland than planned though - mmmmmmm, parmos (dribble, dribble):D

tony draper
29th Apr 2003, 04:58
God almighty! yer must have done something awfull to be banished to Smogytown WD. :hmm:

Grainger
29th Apr 2003, 05:28
Seven hundred quid ? Bargain. Try adding a grand onto that and see what we have to put up with up here :mad:

Seem to recall Glasgow being C-of-C a few years back. Yeah. Right. Pass the Tennent's Super why don't you ? :rolleyes:

MMEMatty
29th Apr 2003, 05:47
Must have done something truly despicable to be banished to Geordietown Mr. D ;)

Personally i can't see how the C-of-C will affect the average Joe in the street who lives in these places. Apart from the fact that there will be a new Art Gallery full of modern art crap, and a new footbridge. Break out the champagne.

Like Mr. D said, it will be for the Luvvies, and the tourists passing through. Still, gives the Local news something to report on (as you will know by watching Look North, it's all they seem to report these days.)

Matty

tony draper
29th Apr 2003, 06:18
I watched a documentry a few years ago about the way the Olympic Comitees do things, there was a small town in Switzerland I think it was, where the local great and good applied to be the home of the winter Olymics, unfortunatly they won, a olymic village was built, ski slopes and the rest of the parafanalia of winter sport, the Olypics were duely held, and it was all over in a couple of weeks, the local tax payers however will be paying for it for something like the next fifty year,the crazy thing was another town about fifty kilometers away did exactly the same thing at the next Olympics,with the same result, they have remained largely unused and a huge burden around the necks of the citizens ever since.
Why do allow local civic dignitaries councillors and other like tossers to do these things, just so they can get their stupid vapid faces and the poxy town we live in on the telly for a few bloody weeks.
I say again piss on the City of Culture, Piss on the Olympics as well.

witchdoctor
29th Apr 2003, 06:44
Grainger

Might not seem like much in a relative sense, but that 700 quid would buy most of the houses round here in 20 years worth of contributions, and we get to wade knee deep in rubbish and dogsh1t for the priveledge. At least when the gaffer and I were up on a photo detail over Glasgow centre a couple of weeks back the place looked OK to me. Not as good as Irvine though.......aaah, real home.

Draper,

If the luvvies need any [email protected] for the galleries I think I know where to get some. Bet Robocop won't mind if we 'export' it either.

Capn Notarious
29th Apr 2003, 07:12
they gonna get the Rab C Nesbit treatment if they approach Drapes.

Does this mean that he wears a string vest and no shirt?

tony draper
29th Apr 2003, 07:27
No, they gonna get nutted. ;)

simon brown
1st May 2003, 00:07
What's with all this "City of Culture"anyway. Are you telling me that if Hull were nominated with the result that an art gallery is opened with filleted fish mounted on the walls, and someone decides to plant a tree on a roundabout, and the roads are all painted red, that the population will go about their business feeling smug and thinking they can recite Keats word for word...I think not...Its all bo***cks

tony draper
1st May 2003, 00:15
Bollix!! I just heard the Judges have been on me park, wish I had known that me and small hound could have waylayed them and shrieked abuse at the tossers.
They been up here twice its pissed down on both occasions , tee hee tee hee.
They took them up to see that big rusty abortion the angel of the north of course,and that poncey new modern art thing across the river they have the audacity to call a bridge, hope they got wet.
:rolleyes:

Chaffers
1st May 2003, 00:18
Wow, Hull and city of culture in the same sentence!

One has to wonder how much these schemes cost to run, as in costs other than those directly picked up by the local council. I'm sure some fat bastard gets a huge salary a year to run the scheme.:suspect:

newswatcher
1st May 2003, 00:23
Drapes, you've got it all wrong:=, the prime aim of the "City of Culture" is shown below. Now you and small hound can get together with all those other fine citizens and small hounds of Tyne-side!

Conceived as a means of bringing European citizens closer together, the European City of Culture was launched on 13 June 1985 by the Council of Ministers on the initiative of Mrs. Melina Mercouri. Since then, the initiative has been more and more successful amongst European citizens and has had a growing cultural and socio-economic impact on the numerous visitors it has attracted.

plus - http://europa.eu.int/comm/culture/eac/capeurcult_en.html

simon brown
1st May 2003, 00:26
TD

They ought to show the ba****ds around the Meadowell estate .That would scupper any luvvies attempt at bestowing the patronising label "City of Culture"

MMEMatty
1st May 2003, 02:46
Newcastle was so bad the good old Queen Victoria used to draw the curtains on the Royal train every time she passed through. Perhaps it was the sight if that rusty Angel that offended her.

I wasn't aware that Hull was running, what have they put up to try and win this? I suppose at least Newcastle have made a go of it, putting up a new bridge, and converting an old abandoned flower mill into a "modern art" gallery.

Matty

witchdoctor
1st May 2003, 04:33
Ah, Meadowell. Reminds me of one of my fave clips from the local news. Some old boot stood on her doorstep in a house on the Meadowell (hope it wasn't Mrs Drapes), saying "Ah've lived heyar ahl me life and ah'm no scoom". Fantastic.

Just hope now that it's been confirmed me and Mrs WD have been banished from Smogland we don't end up regretting above remark. How do they serve humble pie in Newcastle?

eastern wiseguy
1st May 2003, 04:41
what's a parmo then? and why is it confined to Smogland?I think we should be told:suspect:

witchdoctor
1st May 2003, 07:05
Sssh, it's a secret, and consumption of parmos by shandy drinking southern softies (even ones who might be considered close enough to be honorory northeners) might lead to cardiac arrest at the shear pleasure to the untrained.

Probably has a really poofy 'proper' name, but parmo suits us down to the ground.:p

solotk
1st May 2003, 07:58
www.beinbirmingham.co.uk

Vote Birmingham, it's a great city, it deserves it.

...and I speak as a Sarf Landaner

Go on, all they have to be remembered by right now, is Hartley Bleedin' Hare :mad:

simon brown
1st May 2003, 22:23
MMEMatty

Hull isnt in the running, I was just thinking of the worst place I have ever visited. Anyone from Hull whom is offended by this ....tough! The only noteworthy feature is the Humber Bridge.

Oh and theres nowt wrong with Geordie town....:ok:

MMEMatty
2nd May 2003, 04:20
Simon Brown;

There's nothing much right with it, either ;)

Eastern Wiseguy;

You know who after a night out on the falling down water, you get hungy. Now your average southerner will go for a pizza, or, if he's feeling brave, a Kebab. Not your average smoggie though, oh no. He wouldnt touch such femenine foodstuffs with a 12 foot barge pole. He goes for the parmo. Served with salad, it is the drunkards favourite food. Also tastes nice when sober, which is unusual.

Matty

witchdoctor
2nd May 2003, 05:47
Simon

Surely you've been to Hartlepool - and you still think Hull is the worst place you've ever been?;)

Mrs WD and I have decided that a parmo from good old Gi-Gi's will be a fitting last supper when we finally up sticks from Smogland and head up to annoy the Geordies. Preferably with loads of garlic sauce on the chips......mmmmm, delicious!

She's even threatening to wear a 'Smoggy...and proud of it' T-shirt! As a plastic Jock, I of course refuse.

Evening Star
2nd May 2003, 20:45
Right, I was born in Oxford, grew up near Birmingham, did my degree in Liverpool and lived in Newcastle long enough to take more than a passing interest in things Black & White (plus tut at the, Makam, neighbours down the coast). Find that when I explain this to the ernest people who ask me to sign the petition they run away all offended. Tired of offending people, so I turn to you worthy people for advice as to what I should really say ... :ok:

simon brown
2nd May 2003, 21:17
Evening Star

Having worked in Birmingham for 2 years and lived in NCL for 5 years I would vote for NCL. Birmingham would be a close second mind you. However I think this city of culture is a load of patronising rubbish.

witchdoctor
2nd May 2003, 23:22
How true. Let's just call it "The Best Place To Live In The World" competition instead.