PDA

View Full Version : New car choice...

pilotwolf
29th Apr 2003, 03:28
I know this has already been done in various formats before but...

Having survived a rather spectacular crash in the Volvo, (at least 1 360 and a barrel roll - following mechanical failure), this morning I am now in the market for a 'new' car...

It needs to meet the following criteria...

Must be safe...
Must be quick...
Must be able to tow at least a 1 ton boat...
Needs to appeal to the single, aviation minded, good looking females :)
Not a 'sports' car...
Not a 'nerdy' car...
Reasonably respectable - for work..
Under 15k and preferably around 10k..

Considering a 4x4 such as the Jeep Grand Cherokee - but it's been suggested that this type of vehicle would turn me into a prat!

Also tempted to just go with another Volvo having walked away uninjured from this one. Might not have been as lucky in other cars...

Any ideas?

I. M. Esperto
29th Apr 2003, 03:36
You were doing fine until you came to the price.

I have a Lexus LS 400 which does all that, but you'd have to find a used one for that price.

witchdoctor
29th Apr 2003, 03:41
Try the Skoda Octavia RS - 15K new, 180bhp turbo engine. 146mph and 0-60 in about 7secs or so.

Let's see them laugh as they choke on your dust.:D

Good solid, totally reliable car and not one for the car thieves thanks to the badge.

pilotwolf
29th Apr 2003, 04:07
IME.. wasn't planning on buying new anyway!

witchdoctor .. someone else suggested a Skoda - thought it was in keeping with my image! :mad:

Ozzy
29th Apr 2003, 04:11
You know what the rear window heater on the Skoda is called, don't you? A hand warmer

Ozzy

I. M. Esperto
29th Apr 2003, 04:16
I'm totally satisfied with my 1996 LS 400.

It was a surprise gift from a daughter who I spoiled rotten when she was a dote. It payed off!

It was fun, too. I had 2 little cuties who used to fawn over me for attention, They'd argue about who would sit on my lap to light my cigars with a ZIPPO. The longer I was away on a trip, the more attention I would get.

Thank heaven for little girls!

Shaggy Sheep Driver
29th Apr 2003, 04:40
Since it was mechanical failure that lead to the unintentional aeros, I'd have thought that the Volvo, despite its tank-like qualities, would be off your list.

SSD

witchdoctor
29th Apr 2003, 04:45
Ooooo, Ooooo, a Skoda thread, please daddy can we have a Skoda thread?

Obviously been stateside for a while then Ozzy? I'm sure you'll learn lots about building good motors for everyday folk over there.:p (Well, I'll make an allowance for the Chrysler Sebring - great fun round the Canyon with the top down).

pilotwolf
29th Apr 2003, 04:59
SSD.. had a new steering rack fitted last autumn - recon part which is what appears to have failed...

T_richard
29th Apr 2003, 05:15
IMHO

A GMC Yukon 4WD four door

Grainger
29th Apr 2003, 05:24
Well the Jeep will cost you 10k in fuel.... and will turn you into a prat (mind you ..... a Volvo ??? :rolleyes: ).

The RS Octavia is a good choice. Fast but not so nickable.

As for the rest of the list, you seem to have quite a few mutually contradicting requirements - safe, respectable, towbar, under 10k - and a chick magnet :confused:

Ozzy
29th Apr 2003, 05:26
Aye man, I've been over here for a while witchdoctor and do enjoy the current 80F temp. A review of the Sebring I read said "it's the the type of car for those that like lots of make up and fake tits" nice lookin' but nuthin under the bonnet... Now a Hummer H2 is just the job for me. Starts at $53K

Ozzy

T_richard
29th Apr 2003, 05:29
Ozzy

I know just the car, H2 hi gloss black paint, chrome roof rack, leather interior, full tow package, bumper winch.

What is wrong with fake tits? Natural is better, but............;)

reynoldsno1
29th Apr 2003, 05:53
If you buy a Jeep make sure you have a very good relationship with your local dealer and the service department....

tacpot
29th Apr 2003, 06:45
Stay Swedish and buy a Saab!

The 93 and 95 are both very good cars; and very 'respectable'. They are very safe, the HOT (High Pressure Turbo) versions are quick, and the have AERO in the names of some models, all of which which should appeal to you lady friends. They are both heavy enough to tow a one ton boat.

There are also hatchback (93) and estate (95) versions to chose from, and if you want an automatic gearbox, you'll be able to find one pretty easily. Your budget won't get you a new 9.3 but the old one was pretty good anyway.

witchdoctor
29th Apr 2003, 06:49
Damn Ozzy - I thought I'd got all those pictures off the web! And easy on the fake tits - these 'man tits' are all my own (OK, John Smith and Thomas Caffrey can claim part shares).:}

topcat450
29th Apr 2003, 17:52
How about a Pick-Up...a Mitsubishi Animal/Warrior....creature comfort...and could tow your house away. Or the Nissan Navara...

I've seen a company that does LPG versions of the Mitsubishi...with a 3L V6 engine..but runs on LPG so 30p per litre..

Also it is classed as a commercial vehicle so if you have your own company you could claim back VAT. also as it's a commercial vehicle if you had it as a company car you would pay less tax. (so long as you ligitimately needed a van type machine).

Let us know how you get on....but imagine a pick-up...4x4...blacked out windows...tunes playing...aircon whirring away...boat behind you......crrruuuiiizzzin..:cool:

CR2
29th Apr 2003, 19:08
2nd hand 3 series beemer?

Elvis21
29th Apr 2003, 19:45
would agree with topcat in that my dad had just got one (Mitsubishi Animal) for towing and that thing could pull a tank, not that quick though but do look very nice.

Now to fulfill all your criteria (all the others have been fairly slow, minus the skoda) you need to be looking at a used Subaru Impreza Turbo. Safe, reliable, can pull over a ton, 4WD and hhhhhhhhooooooolllllllllllyyyyyyyyyy sssssshhhhhh1111ttttt it is fast. Looks good too.:cool:

topcat450
29th Apr 2003, 20:13
Or the farmers favourite...Subaru Forrester...same engine as the impretza if my memory serves me correctly.

TC (who would be happy with an Impreza for fun...an Animal for work)

iainpoll
29th Apr 2003, 21:02
Anyone know how much you can get a second hand Octavia RS for? (Roughly).

simon brown
29th Apr 2003, 21:53
Iainpoll

I'd forget the RS version, I had one recently and it went like stink, was built as well as any Audi ,not surprising as its a TT underneath, however it lacks the toys and has a hideous interior .Go for the luxury Laurent & Klement Model, as its got all the toys. Get a lowering kit, RS Alloys and chip it. There is a plug in port under the stearing column, so you can go for the 225 bhp TT spec and beyond if you want just by intefaciung with a lap top to re program the engine management..This can be deactivated from the cruise control on the stearing column ( L & K model only) as and when. To be honset the RS was only quicker from standstill, The L&K is just as quick where you need it ie 60-80 as I found out from a colleague whom had the L&K model

I ran mine for 60K and had no problems whatsoever.

You should be able to pick them up for 10K ish.The L & K model for about 8-9K for a tidy 01model with 30K on the clock and use the extra to tart it up

Go to www.briskoda.co.uk theres lots of enthusiasts etc there. If pissing on much more expensive machinery albeit subtely with the added bonus of the humourous connotations of the badge, you cant go wrong.If your that worried by the badge, rip it off and put on a VW badge, afterall the whole Volks/Audi/Skoda thing as a badge marketing exercise. They are all the same car underneath.

to use an analogy,If you went to a brothel would you necessarily pick the chick with the best clothes....

pulse1
29th Apr 2003, 22:07
Yes, if you don't like the Skoda badge, the Leon Cupra is a good, solidly built alternative. Swapped my Impreza for one over a year ago and, for the sort of motoring I do, I only regret it sometimes.

I wouldn't think either would be much good at towing a 1 ton boat though.

Binoculars
29th Apr 2003, 22:13
Suggested advertising hook;

Volvo: Made safe to protect you from other Volvo drivers. :hmm:

jstr4753
29th Apr 2003, 22:24
Have you tried the mk4 VW Golf TDi?

Will cost 1/2 as much as the Volvo in petrol! Trust me, i drive both!!

Hersham Boy
30th Apr 2003, 00:08
I've got a Mitsubishi Challenger (now called Shogun Sport)... I reckon it looks pretty good, if I'd bought a diesel it wouldn't be too bad cost-wise to run - but I wanted the V6 petrol :O - it's fairly quick (for a 4x4), actually works well off road and will pull nearly 3 tonnes. You'd get a decent one for 12-14k.

IMHO you're not a prat if you use it for what it was made for rather than just dropping the kids off on the 200 yard journey to the Chelsea school every day!

Hersh

Biggles Flies Undone
30th Apr 2003, 00:26
You can get a Merc 500 or 560 for comfortably under 10k - might be a few years old and 100,000> miles but that's nothing for a big V8. I recently saw an AMG version going for 12k - nothing like looks and grunt :D

witchdoctor
30th Apr 2003, 02:58
Skoda RS floating around for about 8K, but not from a Skoda dealer as far as I know - all private sales. Well worth going for the dealer models as the service you get is first class - proper gents every one of them (as long as it is a dedicated Skoda dealer and not some bolt-on to Ford or someone like that). The new estate version is pretty tasty, same engine, but with 4WD and a 6 speed box.

Agree with Simon Brown though, the interior is a bit disappointing - a real missed opportunity on a superbly hilarious car.

iainpoll
30th Apr 2003, 06:18
Thanks Simon, much appreciated:ok: :ok:

flyingwysiwyg
30th Apr 2003, 20:19
How about an Audi A3 or A4

Look innocuos enough, but not unpleasant. Bigger engined models go like stink. They tow well and you could get a quattro version for more fun handling and better traction.

A3 1.8T Quattro Sport is a lot cheaper to insure than the Golf as well.

:ok:
FWyg

simon brown
30th Apr 2003, 20:27
Witchdoctor,

Yeah the dealers are superb (excuse the pun), the only thing tho' their service waiting room is like the Derby and Joan club...

Flyingswysiwig

Save money and go for the Passat 1.8 Turbo , or the Octavia 1.8 Turbo....they are all the same car for far less money. You're paying 2K extra for 4 rings on the bonnet

danfulton
30th Apr 2003, 21:09
How about a Seat Leon TDi ?

Cheaper than the Golf - nicer design (in my opinion) more toys, and yet still that fantastic engine from the VW group.

pilotwolf
30th Apr 2003, 21:20
ARGHHHH!!!

Heard from the insurers this morning and they are now reconsidering writing it off! Their engineers are disagreeing with the repairers... now awaiting an independent assesment!

[email protected]@rds! :(

FlyingForFun
30th Apr 2003, 21:24
PW,

Of course they will write it off. This is just their way of delaying things for as long as possible. You must phone them, write to them, get your solicitor to write to them and generally annoy them as much as you can to get them to speed things up as much as possible.

Sorry, I hate insurance companies. Glad you're near enough ok, though.

FFF
-------------