PDA

View Full Version : Help with XP Service Pack

pilotwolf
29th Apr 2003, 02:19
HELP!

I have just downloaded and run the XP service pack 1. (I thought I had already done this once but it showed in the update list).

Now after rebooting the (other) PC it won't start windows - it just keeps rebooting - even using the safe modes....

Rescue disk does the same...

Any ideas for the next step?

PPRuNeUser0171
29th Apr 2003, 05:24
I heard of this problem before.

If you press F8 as the PC starts up you should get a menu appear, One of the options is 'Last Known Good'.

Try that one, In the meantime I will have a dig round the MS database and other technical references.....

Gary.

touch&go
29th Apr 2003, 06:18
Happened to me as well, started the puter in safe mode, then went to:

All Programs........Accessories.........Systems tools..........System Restore............restore my Computer to earlier time.

This worked, and has been running ok for 2 days now..

pilotwolf
29th Apr 2003, 12:22
williamsg... tried that but still crashes while loading.

touch&go ... tried that too but it does't get as far as that before rebooting itself.

PPRuNeUser0171
29th Apr 2003, 17:29
Pilotwolf,

Seems that a few people have been having this problem and the only way they have been able to fix it is by doing a 'repair install'.

Details on how to do this are at:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm

Hope that's of some help.

Gary.

PPRuNeUser0171
30th Apr 2003, 00:09
Or you could just call MS support and see if they can resolve it.

Ouch!

That can be quite expensive!

Gary.

flyingwysiwyg
30th Apr 2003, 01:10
unplug the PC from the wall and ground yourself to the case before you touch anything inside.

You'll need to SWITCH POWER OFF AT THE WALL and then touch the case BEFORE unplugging the power lead (as earth is carried on the lead) or alternatively just touch the nearest radiator or water pipe.

FWyg

pilotwolf
30th Apr 2003, 20:15
Well thanks for the input but....

It seems to have resolved itself!!! Following a couple of days of just rebooting I sat down this morning and switched it on to alter the bios to start from the CD, the phone rang and by the time I got back Windows had booted up normally!

Norton/ScanDisk/etc have found no faults...

:confused: :confused: