PDA

View Full Version : Help??

tony draper
29th Apr 2003, 01:09
Many moons ago I remember reading on this forum about a simulated attack by the V Bomber force on either New York or Washington, can't recal which now,as I recal one of our chaps did get through to delivery point.
Mentioned this on another mainly American site only to be greeted by howls of derision, national pride is involved here, does anybody else recal this thread? :confused:

Archimedes
29th Apr 2003, 03:54
I don't recall the thread, but ...

The event I think you mean is Ex Skyshield in October 1961. 14/10/61 4 Vulcan B2 from 27 Squadron, t/o from Bermuda, to 'attack' CONUS. Three Vulcans intercepted by F-102s , but the fourth penetrated the defences and landed at Plattsburgh AFB, NY. Meanwhile, four Vulcans from 83 Squadron attacked (in conjunction with SAC B-47s and B-52s, admittedly), and reached Newfoundland without being intercepted.

This is in Barry Jones, V-Bombers Chapter 13, pp.160-162. There is another reference to the same event in Andrew Brookes V-Force , p.109, while Skyshield merits an footnote on page 313 of Humphrey Wynn's official history of the RAF nuclear deterrent forces.

There's also a web-link http://people.aero.und.edu/~draper/rafdoc.html (here) - any relation, Mr Draper? - which gives you a reference to yet another source. One of these sources (not Jones) suggests that one of the 83 Squadron aircraft heard the noises from an F-101's radar, but had no other indications that anyone else had found them.

You want it when?
29th Apr 2003, 17:12
Mr D. this was posted in Nostalgia - Beagle was as ever a fount of knowledge.