PDA

View Full Version : There is hope! eyesight issues...

Irishwingz
28th Apr 2003, 22:43
I just got word today that the South African CMO has approved me for a class 2 medical cert.

Its taken nearly 2 months, 2 trips to the AME in Gatwick and visit to the CAA opthamologist.

I have a large manifest squint (off the scale!) and long sightedness to a degree of +5.75.

Initially I thought there was no hope especially with the squint but the CAA eye doc said it was ok because I had it such a long time there was no chance of getting double vision. I couldnt believe this....:}

He turned me down for class 1 and 2 however because my prescription was outside the +5.00 limit but said I could possibly appeal for a JAR class 2 as it was marginal, no guarantees.

South Africa was my choice of country for PPL anyway and I sent off all the above info to them and they (thankfully!) are ok to issue me with class 2.

This is just a story to those who think they may have no hope - if you try your hardest you have nothing to lose. It certainly has been a stressful couple of months but I can now at least go flying...

Good luck
:ok:

Flyin'Dutch'
29th Apr 2003, 02:45
Indeed, perseverance is the word!

Well done and have fun in SA; hope to read about it here!

FD

Flying Boat
29th Apr 2003, 03:02
I'm glad for you. Thank God there is common sense out there, the CAA & SA/CAA are getting much better.

Have a lekker time in Zuid Afrika. Drink a few Castle Lagers, have a few Braiis, eat loadsa Biltong & above all YOU MUST DEFINITELY VISIT TEAZERS!!!!!!!!!
If you are a meat eater, I can recommend the Warthog, Kudu, Springbok, Crocodile & Ostrich. The beef is f*****g lovely too.

The whisky for about £5 a litre & local cane spirit for about £2 a litre was also a very enjoyable point.

Have a wonderful time.

FB

:) :D ;) :cool: :} :ok:

BlipOnTheRadar
29th Apr 2003, 05:38
CAA getting much better....

.... at taking the P155

My longsightedness is +4.50, the 'nice' chap at the Belgrano said that only a drastic change in legislation would allow me to be granted a JAA Class 1 medical certificate... and he added "and that isn't going to happen!"

So if I understand this correctly +5.00 is acceptable, but +4.50 is not... I am confused... or is it just me that he does not want to fly?

One of my close friends has accused me of being paranoid... looks like I now have conclusive proof :*

But congratulations to Irishwingz, may your dreams become reality in the very near future :D

BlipOnTheRadar

p.s. it's taken me 13 years to get absolutely nowhere with the CAA, perseverance sucks. litigation rules. Incidentally, I achieved more with the FAA in one day than I did with the CAA in that 13 years. There is something perverse about that.

p.p.s. anyone a fan of "Hitch-hikers Guide To the Galaxy"? Is Aviation House the 'B' ship??