PDA

View Full Version : Connecting laptop to old nokia 7110 via ir

proxus
28th Apr 2003, 22:04
Hi all !

I hope you can help me on this.
I need to connect my laptop ( IBM R31 with windows 2000) to my old cellphone (Nokia 7110) via the IR port on my laptop.

I have done some seach on Google and elswere but no one has any solid info on this problem. I could not find any info on the Nokia websiten, nor on the CD that originally came with the phone.

I only need this to send and receive e-mails when I am on holiday/away.

Well, If you have first hand experience on this or are very knowlegable on the subject, please feel free to help.
This is propably similar setup btw. other nokia phones from that periout (3 yrs ago). At least btw the ones that have IR.

Regards
Proxus

flyingwysiwyg
28th Apr 2003, 22:13
Hi Proxus,

I use a nokia mobile (now a 6310) with my laptop on IR and used to use a 7110. What problem are you having? Is the infrared port working? or is it that you can't get the phone to talk via the infrared port?

If the infrared port is working, use the Nokia Data Suite disk that came with the phone and install the Nokia Modem. When it asks you if you wish to configure for cable or IR click IR. It may ask what comm port you wish to use to connect. Choose the comm port that is assigned to your infrared. (You can find this is in the control panel under SYSTEM SETTINGS. Click on DEVICE MANAGER Tab and scroll down unitl you find your IR device. Right click on the IR Device to uncover its properties. This will tell you what Comm Port your IR device uses.

Hope this helps.

FWyg

proxus
28th Apr 2003, 23:14
Thanks for such quick response!

In fact I am somewhat of a novice in these matters.
I didn't find any info on the setup for the nokia modem on the cd.

However I could be mistaken, because it's a long time since I looked at it.

I recently managed to make the lap and the phone "see" each other, at least I could start an infrared talk btw them.

I can't remember how I did it but I know at least that communication between them is possible. I just have to be able to make the phone react as a modem.

In theory, how is this supposed to work ? Do you open a new connection, similar as you were phoning through phoneline, click connect, activate ir on phone, and then dial the phone numer for my ISP provider, and the phone starts to call ??

Well, as you can see, I'm a little lost in this, however I'll try to locate the nokia modem installer on the cd and it propably should almost take care of it self. at least it should be that way.

Regards
Proxus

proxus
29th Apr 2003, 06:46
I chose the 'nokia7110 data /faxmodem setup' option, even though it is intented for win95,98 or NT4.0. ( I have win 2k, will it work ? )

When I got to the 'select action' the only option was "use cable connection" the other two "use infrared link" and "use both infrared and cable connection" where grayed out, i.e. unable to be selected.

What do I do about that ? I don't want to shuffle out money for cable:confused:

Well... any thoughts...will it work on win 2K even though it is intended for the previous options. Any thoughts why the options that I want are greyed out ?:uhoh:

well thanks anyway

Regards
Proxus

proxus
29th Apr 2003, 17:05
Thanks for the reply.
I had actually found this pach and tried to installed it.

The problem now, is that I can't get the pach installed.
It's because the service pack that I have is newer than the the one that this pach is supposed to fix.

The one that I have is service pack 3 from MS but the blasted thing is intended for servicepack 2

:{

Proxus

PPRuNeUser0171
29th Apr 2003, 17:36
Proxus,

Try the Nokia PC Suite at:

http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,5184,3608,00.html

This software adds in all sort of support for your phone including the ability to use it as a modem.

Another thing - You may need to activate IR in the BIOS of the laptop before W2K will 'see' it, I've come across that problem on Dell laptops - Don't know if it's the same with an IBM!

Gary.

proxus
29th Apr 2003, 20:46
Thanks for the advice.

I am hesitant to fiddle with the bios settings. However I think that it is enabled, for I checked the device manager>ir settings> all a-okay, and for the fact that I managed to make connection btw the lap and phone, but I could see that they were communicating with each other. From there I do not know what to do, because I can't install the pach nor the modem for the phone.

Regands
Proxus

PPRuNeUser0171
29th Apr 2003, 22:08
I'm assuming this patch is the irda patch?

If so you should not need it if you install the PC Suite, I've managed to get a few mobiles working this way.

Gary.

proxus
29th Apr 2003, 22:17
I got the PC Suite both on the orginal cd that came with the phone, and the downloaded one. They are the same.
However when I try to install the nokia modem, the option for selecting "communication via ir" in the setup process is greyed out and cannot be selected. The only one that isn't is "connect via cable" and that's selected and can't be changed.

:( :{

Proxus

flyingwysiwyg
29th Apr 2003, 22:29
Proxus,

Try this.

Uninstall the Nokia Data Suite completely using remove programs.

Re-boot

Go to control panel, and then infrared. Enable infrared on phone and laptop.

They should be seeing each other.

Now install Nokia Data Suite. Is the infrared option still greyed out?

FWyg.

Just for information: The 7110 isn't a modem, and doesn't as such have a modem. The software provides a virtual modem. The phone just "carries" the data connection.

proxus
29th Apr 2003, 23:54
Great ! that worked. But what is the next step then.

I set up an internet connections but it refuses to connect when I hit dial I get error 770 the remote computer rejected the connection attempt ??:(

flyingwysiwyg
30th Apr 2003, 01:05
Have you opened your dial up networking connection.

RIGHT CLICK and then PROPERTIES.

Under CONNECT USING is it giving you the option of Nokia 7110 IRDA?

Is the phone actually dialing the number before you get that error message?

Is the dial up number correct for the service you want?

Remember to remove any dialling prefixes you might use at home or at the office on a standard land line. You can do this via Telephony in the CONTROL PANEL

Hope this helps.

Sorry if any of the above sound obvious, but its difficult to tell what you have set up on your computer.

FWyg

proxus
30th Apr 2003, 10:37
Hi there again and thanks for your time.:O

When I opened the control panel I was unable to find any telephony (but I remember it from my old win 98)

What I found was phone and modem options.
Under that > modems, I found this

Modems --------- attached
Nokia 7110 --------- not attached

Other things to see there was just that the internal modem for the phone line was attached to com3 but that's irrelevant.

As I said before it seems that I am just one little step from being able to make the phone dial. Every things look good, lap and phone are in good connection but when I hit 'dial' this error message pops and the countdown for a new redial starts, just like when you hadn't connected the phone line on a regular modem.

you descriped that I should try to look through 'properties' in network connections but there is no trace of the phone there, you can just choose Ir modem or regular one.

I think this looks a bit different than win98

I prehaps should drop this subject and try to find some moneyeating IT jockey that can fiddle with this for me, however that has to wait

Any further info would be nice though

Regards
Proxus

BOAC
30th Apr 2003, 14:38
Proxus - to eliminate one problem?
Can you dial out to the mobile using 'phone dialler' or whatever it is called on your machine? Select Nokia 7110 on the options first. That would prove the IR link to the phone and the phone are ok.

proxus
30th Apr 2003, 20:26
I found something called phone dialer, choose phone call ( not internet call ) opened options, swiched to 7110 and voila, the phone started calling, so that works !

proxus

flyingwysiwyg
30th Apr 2003, 21:18
:ok:

Now you've proved that phone and laptop are talking the same language, I suggest you give your ISP a call and ask them if there are any specific settings / phone numbers for use with mobile dial up. Unfortunately there are too many variables to speculate as to why your phone is not connecting. When you tried the internet connection, was your phone actually dialing before you got the error message?

FWyg

proxus
1st May 2003, 02:47
nob he wasn't. When I pressed 'dial' the error message came straight away and without any attempt of the phone's behalf.

Maybe I'll just continue to fiddle with the settings till something desirable happens
:ugh: Not that way:D hehe

In the above mentioned phone dialer I could also choose to phone 'internet call' and choose which kind of modem I would like to use. Is it slight possibility that I could get online that way ?

Proxus

proxus
1st May 2003, 07:19
:D

Thanks for all of your time and help:ok:

I was able to connect and receive e-mail although 9,6b is a slow son of a gun.

THANKS

G'day

Proxus

flyingwysiwyg
1st May 2003, 19:53
:ok:

Success then! Glad it worked out :)

Now all you have to do is get a GPRS mobile to enjoy a faster
connection. ;)

FWyg