PDA

View Full Version : Strangely named stuff

Rugz
28th Apr 2003, 18:51
This morning, feeling a little peckish at work, I popped down to the nearest newsagents to get some biscuits which would go very nicely with a cuppa.

I came back to the office with some Ginger Nuts that I had not had for many a year. But now I am wondering why they are called Ginger Nuts?

The ginger is obvious as they have ginger in them, but there are no nuts in the ingredients.

So, learned friends, why oh why oh why are they called Ginger Nuts???

BTW - I could have probably found the answer on Google but that's cheating...

topcat450
28th Apr 2003, 18:57
I haven't got a clue..I tried searching the 'net to find out but searching on "Ginger Nuts" didn't bring up much about biscuits...

TC (off to delete his history and temp files) :E

Rugz
30th Apr 2003, 00:03
Over a hundred views and only one post....

Have I found something that has truly stumped the legendary wisdom of my fellow Ppruners? :hmm:

I decided to cheat and check on google but failed to find anything remotely relevant.

Come on!! Someone out there knows the answer...it's almost like it's a big secret or something :suspect:

Big Tudor
30th Apr 2003, 00:13
And therein lies your answer Rugz. The name Ginger Nuts has been a closely guarded secret for many moons now, only being divulged to Popes and Presidents. People have been know to diappear for weeks for merely enquiring as to the origins of the name. Be warned, the Nut Police wil 'ave you, and make no mistake. :E

PaperTiger
30th Apr 2003, 00:14
I think ginger nuts is just an alternative name for stem ginger, because it has a nut-like appearance. Viz:
http://www.josef-biffar.de/images/ingwurz1.jpg

The biccies are made from stem ginger, but ginger nuts probably sounds a bit more attractive. If you google for stem ginger, you'll find lots of biscuits which are called stem ginger

simon brown
30th Apr 2003, 00:24
The nut content can easily be distinguished by leaving a ginger nut in a cup of Earl Grey.The biscuit dissolves leaving the nutty residue, so if you are after extracting the nutty content you can "Pan" for the nuts in a cup of tea.

tony draper
30th Apr 2003, 00:27
Ginger nuts are the finest dunking biscuit in the known universe.
Incidently Google just returned about 80,000 hits on ginger nuts I int about to look through all them.
;)

Loki
30th Apr 2003, 01:36
Herr Draper:

I think we may have a major falling out, for it is the plain digestive which is the finest dunking biscuit as any gentleman knows. I have on occasion dunked a ginger nut but only because there was nothing else available.

Onan the Clumsy
30th Apr 2003, 02:34
What about the rich tea?

Watch how you pull 'em out of the cup though. You always have to bend them sideways and not longditudinally as they have no torsional strength when wet. If you get it wrong, you'll have a Rich Tea raft in your cuppa and any attempt to remove it will produce a very effective experiment highlighting the transition of Gondwanaland into the various continental plates.

My favourite's the Ginger nut, but I like to leave the bag unsealed.

Woff1965
30th Apr 2003, 02:45
Mc Vities milk Chocolate digestive are the FINEST dunking biscuit in the universe for tea.

And Plain chocolate for dunking in Coffee or ice cold milk!!!

Should anyone disagree I will arrange for their bellies to be roated in hell!

Rhino power
30th Apr 2003, 02:48
All Butter Shortbread, the sort with the sugar sprinkled on top make damn fine tea sponges, and they retain their structural integrity after prolonged immersion too...marvellous!:ok:

Regards, RP.

tony draper
30th Apr 2003, 03:11
The timing of the ginger nut dunk is of overiding importance of course, only a mere tyro would submerge the leading edge of the said nut long enough to cause structural disintigration, the biscuit should be presented to the liquid at 90 degree to the plane of the surface and withdrawn in a straight line.
A soggy dangling nut is the sign of a missept youth and should you come across anyone who produces a soggy deformed nut they should be avoided in future, for they are invariably blaggards.

Loki
30th Apr 2003, 03:25
Whichever kind you dunk, the sign of a true dunkmaster is that post dunk, the biscuit in question retains some bite....this skill is best not acquired through application of some tedious technical knowledge (tortional strength my *rse) but through many years of practise. Afternoons on wet Winter days while reading the pages of Exchange and Mart were my favourite time for this sacred ritual.

Seaweed Knees
30th Apr 2003, 07:44
Mabey it has something to do with being crazy about that ginger flavour.

Rollingthunder
30th Apr 2003, 07:58
I never dunk in tea. Spoils the tea. Now a Krispy Kreme dunked in a good cup of coffee is very nice indeed.

Waits for the "What the hell's a Krispy Kreme?" chorus.

pigboat
30th Apr 2003, 09:00
Agree RT. Tim's and Dunkin' are just Krispy-Kreme wannabees. Spent two weeks in Winston-Salem some years ago when our airplane was at Piedmont for the wing pull. Had to drive past the original Krispy-Kreme outlet on the way to the airport. Gained ten pounds.;)

simon brown
30th Apr 2003, 23:19
Christ....what have I started. A mere suggestion of dunking biscuits in tea leads to the physics of the Brownian Motion of suspended particles...thats why I like jetblast so much.

tony draper
30th Apr 2003, 23:22
If you really want to start a controversial thread Simon, ask whether the milk should be poured into the cup before or after the tea. ;)

MMEMatty
1st May 2003, 01:53
What about Hob-Nobs?

Who gave them that name?

Best biscuit to dunk has to be the Plain Arrowroot Biscuit.

Matty

jstr4753
1st May 2003, 02:53
Or even better, Chocolate Hobnobs!

And the milk goes in first!

Ripline
1st May 2003, 05:03
Look guys, all these dunkin', torsional doo-dah Brownian motion questions have been very adequately explained by Len Fisher in his very entertaining book "How to Dunk a Doughnut". ISBN 0 297 60756 1

He was the proud recipiant of an Ig-Nobel prize for these and other works relating to physical properties of granular structures under conditions of liquid absorbtion.

Tea question. (Assuming you like tea with milk) Milk in first: the fats released by the heat bring through the taste, BTW.

I really liked the chapter on the physics of sex. Which goes to show that even materials scientists aren't above making up juicy titles to sell books!

Oh, and an explanation of the term "umami". Ask Drapes.

Ripline

tony draper
1st May 2003, 05:09
One is very fond of fig rolls, but it is not a biscuit that lends itself to dunking.

AerBabe
1st May 2003, 05:24
The penguin, however, is almost perfectly designed for sucking. One must first trim to a more convenient size, by biting one end off. The removal of an opposite corner is then necessary to allow correct flow of liquid.

Never tried it with tea. Darn good with coffee though. :)

FlyingForFun
1st May 2003, 05:37
On a similar note to AerBabe, a friend of mine with an Australian wife recently introduced me to Tim Tams. Perhaps some of our Australian friends could comment? But for those who aren't familiar with them, they're pretty similar to Penguins only sweeter and more chocolaty. What you have to do, apparently, is bite off two diagonaly-oposite corners, then stick one corner into a cup of hot chocolate, and suck the chocolate through the biscuit as if it were a straw. Unfortunately, although my friend brought with the Tim Tams, he forgot the hot chocolote :(

FFF
-------------

Flying Boat
1st May 2003, 05:47
I think you may find the term nuts in 'Ginger Nuts' refers to the texture of the biscuit, it is "Hard as nuts" as well as, once you have bitten into it its texture in the mouth is similar to biting through a nut, such as a Brazil Nut or Philbert (Hazelnut), for Example.

Although the science of Dunking is fascinating!

I was a Chef/Hotel Manager in a previous life.
Hope this experience may be the extra something to get me a job, especially now I realise it is one of the most important issues in aviation, when I have completed my fATPL training.

Why not a TWIX? Half biscuit, half confectionary, especially now that they have made them flatter & more biscuit like.

:}

HugoFirst
1st May 2003, 06:13
What about Custard Creams and Bourbons as the ultimate multi-layered, multi-textured dunk?

Oh . . . and on the subject of the correct order for milk insertion, back when I was working for her Maj, it was always Tea In First, the other lot were referred to as MIFs and seen as very working class. We had a saying: "You can't have a MIF in the Mess".

JustaFew
1st May 2003, 07:09
When the whisper first came out, I enjoyed dunking one in a cuppa. It was v. filling and cheap, especially on an assistant's wage. Haven't tried any of the whisper variations, though.
And as long as the milk flows out of the bottle, instead emerging in chunks, it doesn't matter which way round you make a cuppa.

Now should I stiffen my little finger when drinking said tea?

Or not....:confused:

Checkboard
1st May 2003, 07:18
The Tim Tam straw is a bit of an institution in Oz. You can feel the chocolate melt as the coffee is drawn up through the biscuit.

I take my tea black, in the Asian fashion, as it was meant to be consumed. Only you gaijin prove you are yet to be weaned. :)

crispy banana
1st May 2003, 07:19
The ol Ginger Nut question.....

Grandmother used to call them Ginger Snaps :} for some reason....

Btw Milk after tea.... :E

Great thread :ok:

Flying Boat
1st May 2003, 07:55
CB

Ginger & Brandy Snaps in the UK are different to Ginger Nuts.

Snaps are normally baked on a greaseproof paper and have far more butter in the mix, making them take on a much more toffee consistency. Upon removing them from the oven Chefs usually roll them to make a tube, to cool.
Once allowed to cool, they are slightly chewy & you often have to pull slightly to break them. They normally break with a gentle snapping sound.

Ginger Nuts are more of a traditionally hard baked biscuit.

S**T, I hope I have enough room in my shell to absorb the knowledge you Pros have.
There is hope, seeing as we don't use 90% of our brains.

On the tea question, it depends. In any good hotel you can have tea with or without milk. I don't have milk with speciality teas, but with blends, and certain types, Ceylon, Darjeeling & English Breakfast I will have Milk.
I poor it in first, purely because I am fairly lazy.
Poor the milk first & the pooring of the tea will stir in the milk perfectly. It does help that I don't have sugar, I find the Lactose in modern milk sweet enough.
How many of you make tea with the perfect infusion temperature of 93 - 94 degrees? Boiling water is too hot for many teas, try it you may be surprised.

Happy, baking, eating & dunking.

FB;)

Straight Up
1st May 2003, 08:19
Wasn't the "milk in first" idea to stop your fine bone china cracking when you poured in the nearly boiling tea? Or is that an urban myth?

Can't stand either tea or coffee, so I just eat extra biscuits instead.

Flying Boat
1st May 2003, 08:30
It may or may not be urban myth, but makes some sense.

However, I have lost more cups/glasses through contraction, hot to cold, than the other way around.

One of my old chef pleasures was a pint of tea, several a day.

BURP.:O

Rollingthunder
1st May 2003, 08:34
Glasses, cups, cornishware etc, don't crack when water or tea is poured upon them at 211 or 212 deg F. Thank the space program? or the old masters? MIF

Flying Boat
1st May 2003, 08:47
What is deg F?

In Europe we got rid of that years ago, its passee, old fashioned and out of date.

I remember in my history classes that there was a means of measuring temperature using strange difficult mathematics, I realised that Kelvin made more sense if you couldn't use Celsius.

Unfortunately I still remember from school how to convert from F to C & vice versa.

Happy converting.
FB:8

tony draper
1st May 2003, 15:05
Tea being English, should always be made with water heated in Fahrenheit of course, not that unatural dammed continental centithingy.
:rolleyes:

simon brown
1st May 2003, 21:05
Tony,

Ive always been a milk in last merchant. That way you can gauge the strength of your brew more accurately, especially when it has been poured from a tea pot where it has "drawn" for a bit. Putting milk in the cup having just filled with water and tea bag is less easy to gauge....

Of course if we want to go into more technicalities about brewing tea, the height at which you brew your tea can effect the temperature at which the water boils due to atmospheric pressure