PDA

View Full Version : VALE - Lyndon (Don) Griffith

Southland
28th Apr 2003, 12:19
See Downunda Zone for further details.

A very sad day with the passing of Don Griffith, 1922-2003, after a short illness. Don was living in retirement and was an active pilot.

A decorated Battle of Britain pilot, a surviving pilot afterflying the Westland Wyvern amongst many others, a nd in later life a recognised training pilot in the B707 and B747, before he moved to Australia in semi retirment, later moving to the seaside town of Merimbula.

Don's office at Merimbula Airport where he was proprietor of Merimbula Air Services for many years, was adorned with many photo's, no doubt his favourite was receiving his DFC from the King of England.

Thanks Don, the memories will last a very long time.

sharpshot
29th Apr 2003, 19:54
Southland - thanks for posting this up to the U.K.

Don flew from the age of 17 through until he was 78. He flew over 100 types and a lot of hours. He always said he would have logged more, however, up until turning to civilian flying all his entries were wheels off to wheels on.

I recall the days when he would fly DC-6's, Britannias, Viscounts, 1-11's and VC.10's all in the space of a calendar month. He might even throw in a Dove and others as well.

I guess he has few colleagues remaining, particularly from ETPS, let alone BUA and Laker's and subsequent airlines. He often asked after them.

I have many memories not least the look on his face when he found out he was off to Seattle to fly the 74.

I am sure he had many proud moments right up until a dignified ending in the early hours of Monday morning.

You were always better off up in the clear blue yonder - don't let them clip your wings.

vanhigher
30th Apr 2003, 04:16
sharpshot- so sorry to hear the news, although i never had the privilege of meeting Don myself he sounds a truly excellent and inspiring individual- you must be SO proud of him.

R.I.P.