PDA

View Full Version : Maths topics for start of Aero Eng

nosefirsteverytime
28th Apr 2003, 04:16
Alright, I'm in the process of accepting my Unconditional offer at City Uni. (WOOHOO!!!! I'M IN!) London. Just one question before i do, though. What types of maths problems do they expect you to know how to do going in the door? I'm good up as far as the harder parts of Integration/Differentation, ULIATE etc. That stuff is new to my head, and in the revision stage for Leaving Cert exams in June.

This is what they said on the City Blurb

Applicants should be numerate and have the potential to develop good problem-solving and communication skills. Mathematics to A-level standard or its equivalent is required, as is evidence of ability in a laboratory-based subject.

All fine, but I'm just wondering if there's anything they'll expect of me that the Leaving Cert course leaves out. (considering it does the job for the Limerick AeroEng course, thet'll be unlikely, but better safe than sorry)

Genghis the Engineer
29th Apr 2003, 20:45
Firstly, very well done. They're not easy courses to get onto (with the warning, that they're even harder to graduate from):E

From my, now rapidly receding, experience of an Aero-Eng degree I'd suggest...

- Algebraic manipulation, the better you are the easier it'll be for you.
- Calculus - numeric and analytic differentiation and integration, solving first and second order differential equations.
- Mechanics and Dynamics - the usual Newtons laws, pinjointed structures, rotating things, vector algebra and associated 2D and 3D trig.

Those are the biggies, with stats, complex number theory / manipulation coming joint second.

G

nosefirsteverytime
3rd May 2003, 07:58
Hmmm, so it was a good idea to do applied maths as an extra subject.....

I love it when I make good calls. :ok:

Now if I could just get this Leaving Cert..........

boeingbus2002
26th Jun 2003, 06:56
Eigenvectors/values
Complex numbers
Contro theory and the Routh Hurwitz cirterion
:} :} :8 YUk!

Genghis the Engineer
26th Jun 2003, 14:53
I agree about complex numbers - although I doubt anybody will have done Egenvectors or Control Theory at school - probably best for our chap to wait for that to be taught at university.

But what the *(*&&& is the "Routh Hurwitz Criterion", never heard of it. Sounds like some strange Seattle abberation to me.

G

5711N0205W
27th Jun 2003, 19:21
It means bog all to me but;

http://www-me.mit.edu/Lectures/RLocus/2.12-rationale.html

The Routh-Hurwitz stability criterion is a method for determining whether or not a system is stable based upon the coefficients in the system's characteristic equation. It is particularly useful for higher-order systems because it does not require the polynomial expressions in the transfer function to be factored.

Aleko
30th Jun 2003, 01:20
If you're in the boglands of Western Ireland, why not do the degree in Limerick. Is it better in London?