PDA

View Full Version : Renting and earning?

Spinningtop
28th Apr 2003, 01:23
Is it possible to rent a helicopter from a flying school and use the helicopter for your own commercial use i.e. nothing to do with the flying school.

Crashondeck
28th Apr 2003, 02:33
No

Unless you have an Air Operators Certificate which nominates the exact aircraft.

Spinningtop
28th Apr 2003, 22:21
Many thanks for your reply.

How do you obtain an Air Operators Cerificate?

Whats involved?

Costs?

Many thanks

Pete O'Tewbe
29th Apr 2003, 00:24
Apply to the CAA.

Produce a JAR OPS 3 manual including training and maintenance.

Produce a Maintenance Management Exposition (MME) in conjunction with your JAR 145 maintenance organisation for approval by the CAA.

Nominate the accountable manager, Chief Pilot and Operations manager (the last two must be acceptable to the CAA implying they must have experience of AOC operations). Also nominate the Company Training Captain(s) (who must be TREs in order to conduct Base checks/OPCs on pilots). A quality manager should also be appointed.

Up the insurance on the aircraft to cover war risks (the CAA will not allow you to operate without it).

Carry out proving flight (s) with CAA Flight Ops Inspector.

Not sure about the initial costs of setting up an AOC but I believe that it runs into a few thousand pounds.

As well as a commercial licence, pilots must have a current First Aid certificate as well as being current in fire fighting and CRM.

I've probably left huge chunks out but hopefully this will give you a flavour of what's involved over a period of many months.

Spinningtop
29th Apr 2003, 04:39
Thanks Pete!!

Does the AOC apply to operations such as Aerial Photography etc, or is it just relevant to operations where members of the public are carried in the aircraft.

Thanks again.

Crashondeck
29th Apr 2003, 04:53
I heard that £15000 (yes that is 3 zeros) was the going rate.

Not sure about the aerial phots bit, but if you're doing it for reward, ie cash or payment in kind.... I would imagine the answer is yes.

whatsarunway
29th Apr 2003, 05:21
I think Photography is listed under Aeriel Works and therefore the aircraft must be registered and maintained in such a manner But no need for an AOC .
CPL also a definate must also the owners knowledge and permission , Up the insurance from training to a/w also.