PDA

View Full Version : Peter Palm - RIP

pom
27th Apr 2003, 03:20
Anyone who knew Peter will be saddened to hear that he died last week in a gliding accident. This is a report from the Exeter Express & Echo dated 22 April 2003.

A glider pilot who was killed after his aircraft crashed into a Devon farmyard has been named as Peter Palm.
Mr Palm, 48, of Dorchester, Dorset, died when his glider plummeted into Higher Ponchydown Farm, Blackborough, near Cullompton.
The glider crashed into a 12ft-high leylandii hedge - narrowly missing a large cattleshed - on Thursday afternoon.
Mr Palm, who was an experienced professional pilot, had taken off from the Devon and Somerset Gliding Club base at Broadhembury, near Honiton.
He had been towed in the single-seater Pegasus aircraft by a powered plane but crashed over farmland shortly after the glider was released.
Experts from the Ministry of Transport's air investigation branch are now examining the wreckage at their headquarters in Andover, Hampshire, to establish the cause of the accident.
After an initial police investigation, pilot error, illness or mechanical fault were cited as possible explanations for the crash.
Devon and Somerset Gliding Club members were said to be shocked and baffled by the accident because Mr Palm was an experienced pilot and the weather conditions had been good.

The funeral will take place on Monday 28th April. Peter will be sadly missed by everyone who knew him, and my sympathy goes out to his young family.

Anne.Nonymous
28th Apr 2003, 04:11
Pom

Sorry to hear of any tragic accident and this is not far from my home.

Was Peter Palm a Fleet Air Arm pilot some years ago?

Anne

Onthebuffet
28th Apr 2003, 16:58
Indeed Peter was an FAA pilot - we served together on 737 NAS back in 78.

My condolences to his family.

"Pike" we'll miss you - Rest in Peace mate.

Scottie

Rommel
29th Apr 2003, 02:03
Peter Palm was Flt Commander on HMS Nottingham,in 1986,when I was doing my training in the FAA,he was an inspiration to me,as he had I believe been a BA cadet at Hamble,prior the RN.He got laid off,and joined the RN.

He was a really decent bloke.

Im really saddened to hear this news.

Rommel

Anne.Nonymous
29th Apr 2003, 02:13
In that case it is the same person that I knew from the 80's at Portland - I am very sorry indeed to hear of his demise and my condolences to his family at this sad time.

Anne

Pirate
29th Apr 2003, 04:03
I had the pleasure of flying a lot with Peter when he landed his first airline job with European Air Charter. We lost touch when he moved on - Air 2000 if memory serves - but he will be sadly missed.

GrantT
5th May 2003, 23:13
Was Peter an Airbus A32x pilot?