PDA

View Full Version : Can Someone Sort This Site Out

Eight Eights Blue
26th Apr 2003, 23:16
having just browsed through 7 or 8 pages of threads it is apparent that there is a lot of junk on here that is not really worth being on here. Also it takes up a lot of space and is annoying when you are looking for some good things and all you find is garbage about tankers and millionaire cheats (would not be bad if he was even aircrew but he ain't, too dim for that)
It may be that some of you use this as a gossip column but some of us use it for keeping up with the latest useful info.
Perhaps we could split it into individual services and then the Army would have some decent stuff to read instead of trawling through endless threads which have been posted by bored pen pushers with nothing else to do.
I am sure this will no doubt turn into a slanging match but it ain't intended, I am just asking if anybody can do anything about all the junk on this useful site.

Regards to everyone especially you MURPH and HVC. Keep it clean.

mutleyfour
27th Apr 2003, 00:32
I agree.. The Army does already have its own site (ARRSE) which generally doesnt have any of the pompousness that appears on this site nowadays.

ARRSE isnt the solution to this site, it needs to remain Tri-Service, in order for the nature of the posts to gain the benefit of all three inputs. Along with the friendly banter of course (sadly lacking of late as politically correct seems to be the latest PPRUNE craze).

Danny
27th Apr 2003, 01:31
"...a lot of junk on here that is not really worth being on here."

Errr.... excuse me but who exactly are you having a go at? We aim to please here but your contribution has just added to the problem. Hasn't it?:rolleyes:

Obviously a quiet news week for you mil types after all the excitement of the last few weeks. I think I'll put up a poll to see exactly what it is you want from PPRuNe. Unfortunately there is a conflict of interest between two camps. One want the right to post any drivel, no matter how puerile, infantile or repetitive and call it 'banter'. The other want serious debate and discussion on issues that have some connection, no matter how remote, to military matters. Preferably with an aviation theme.

Be my guest and start a thread that will stimulate something that interests you and hopefully, if you are skillful enough, will lead to a mega-thread with countless opinions and arguments. With a bit of luck it will also include some wit and insight that is sadly lacking from the current crop of threads that you believe to be 'junk'.

PPRuNe is the messenger and you are the writers and the audience. It's up to you to set the standard and before you jump down my throat about poitical correctness, apart from one or two notorious threads which appeared here recently there is no intervention whatsoever.

I have personally taken responsibility over what goes on in this forum and unless it is going to cause me legal costs or time in the clink for some breach of sensitive material then you are free to debate whatever you like within the remit of the forum title. What I will decide on, based on experience, signal-to-noise ratio and complaints from kindergarden kids that their intelligence is being insulted is if the thread will remain prominent or not.

So, over to you... I await an entertaining debate. :zzz:

mutleyfour
27th Apr 2003, 03:54
Personally, I find this topic worthy of some discussion.

Danny, being a moderator doesnt make it "your train set". yes you have control of the points etc but not the content.

I for one feel that it was a much smoother and more enjoyable experience on here before it was moderated.

You appear to have taken a sensible request for possible ways of updating this site and taken it as a personal insult to yourself. Then YOU have the nerve to imply that WERE all kindergarten kids and have nothing worthwhile to add to the forum.

Smell the coffee yet?

L J R
27th Apr 2003, 05:10
You will note that the interim moderator - the so called fltlt pprune, is no longer moderating.

Well done to those who took on the delicate task and had the decency to withdraw now that common sense is re emerging.

TicketyBoo
27th Apr 2003, 05:13
Mutleyfour,

Ahem.... I think it is, actually, Danny's train set, and as he runs it on top of a job that is,amongst other things, fairly time-consuming, then I would imagine he gets to smell a fair amount of coffee.

mutleyfour
27th Apr 2003, 05:22
Ok TB...my point is that the Mil Aircrew forum wouldn't be a forum unless we all contributed to it....still with me....ok...so why cant WE ask for a discussion on how we could improve it?

Nescafe

northernmonkey
27th Apr 2003, 05:25
Yep we know it is Danny's train set and on the whole it is a credit to him.

However, if the rules for playing with said toy constantly change, then can we be held to account when it goes off the rails?

There has always been and hopefully always will be banter on the tri service matters, perhaps the civilians etc etc should leave alone and let the mil typos self moderate and get the forum back to its enjoyable former self. If the civvy types are easily offended or don't understand then there are dozens of other forums for them to enjoy

TomPierce
27th Apr 2003, 07:33
But you see mutley before anyone can advance a reasonable argument for making contributions to this forum, you first have to offer contributions that ADD to it and PROVOKE good repartee and common sense. What has happened of late is that the wit has been good but the content of super low quality. All that does is winds people up - and you get the whole rigmarole of deja vue. Some like it most do not.

In other words the quality of the forum is only as good as the quality of the contributions. Which have been sadly lacking. THAT, is why you get people like 88'sBlue saying it's going downhill.

And all northernmonkey wants to do is have nothing but banter and therefore makes NO contribution to the forum. If he just took part in a bit of intelligent conversation now and again, with the occasional banter he might enjoy it more. The trick is, to get the 'forum-ula' right.

It's simple really. I'll just get a cup of cocoa.

northernmonkey
27th Apr 2003, 07:49
Dont want all banter at all, Tom you couldn't be more wrong.

Lets have a few topics worth talking about, Muttley is right about the stagnation of late, I hope it changes soon, and th esite more importantly the forum becomes worht a visit once more.

G.Khan
27th Apr 2003, 12:08
Interesting that you choose to blame the moderators for the current state of the site.

One post 'pulled' on the Gulf Medals thread, some discussion and amending on the Ugly Wives thread, possibly a couple more minor interventions and a whole lot of waffle about why the name Flt Lt PPRuNe was used, any more?

Methinks it is more the perceived indignity of being moderated than the actual moderation itself, in short, an ego problem.

The fact is that whilst a very large number of HM Forces have been extremely busy with Iraq the quality of input to this forum has declined.

Arm out the window
27th Apr 2003, 15:34
8/8 Blue, if you don't like some of the threads, don't visit them again.
It's hardly surprising that you, or anyone for that matter, would find some things written in a bulletin board type forum not to your liking. Others might not agree.
Wat do you want to happen? Have every post vetted by a 'military interest standards officer' before being allowed on?
If you don't agree with things being posted, how about placing constructive and relevant comments on those particular threads, inviting debate, rather than coming out with generalised sweeping statements?
Or perhaps this is a wind-up; if so, you got me!

Zoom
27th Apr 2003, 17:27
This website is a bit like the computer that works it: rubbish in = rubbish out. So it's up to us, the contributors, to control the input so that the site's standards, relevance and interest are maintained at a decent level.

brit bus driver
28th Apr 2003, 04:41
Eight Eights Blue....

...all you find is garbage about tankers

Mil aircraft flown by mil aircrew....your point is?

snafu
28th Apr 2003, 05:25
Mutleyfour

As has already been mentioned, this is very much Danny's train set! He set up PPRuNe and, after a few requests a couple of years ago, gave military pilots their own forum. It's up to him what and if he moderates, if you don't like it, go to another website! In the six years that I've been contributing and the three or four that the Military forum has been up and running, there has been very little interference from the PPRuNe heirarchy. As military aircrew (mostly), we're pretty reasonable about moderating ourselves and hopefully that should continue.

As far as the quality of the threads is concerned, sometimes they're good...sometimes they're not...it's up to us as the contributors to make them as good as possible. Normally, they're fairly self-sustaining. The good threads attract a lot of replies and continue, the duff ones die a death. As far as Danny's comments about banter are concerned, it only tends to get puerile and infantile when someone fails to realise that it's banter and takes a comment to heart. Most of us are big and ugly enough to realise that it's part of the ethos of the career that we chose and goes with the territory.

Equally, if civilians and wannabes want to post, let them! This is not a forum exclusively for military personnel, it's a public forum for people to discuss military matters. If the person who wants to ask a question or comment on an issue happens to be a strawb, so what? Their point is as vaild as anyone else's, they just may not be as informed as one of us wearing the uniforms. That's not their problem, we just have to be grown up enough to understand that information that we take as second nature may not be obvious to the outside.

Snafu climbs off soapbox and takes a deep breath...

Danny, PPRuNe is a fantastic site and I hope that you continue find the time to keep it up and running. From a regular reader but only occasional poster, please pass my thanks on to the rest of the team. :ok:

BTW, I've got to find time to come to another GatBash.;) I made it to the first one but haven't been since, are they still as good??:cool:

mutleyfour
28th Apr 2003, 06:10
Ok..I give in...lets continue as we are...thats progress!

http://www.clicksmilie.de/sammlung/aktion/action-smiley-054.gif

Eight Eights Blue
28th Apr 2003, 19:27
:confused:

Oops, I did state that no slanging match was intended but hey it is going that way already.
Guys what i meant was there are a lot of threads on this site that don't even get looked at and are over a month old since last looked at, if that is the case then mag to grid them as they just clog up the forum.
With regards to services, I was asking if it would be possible to split it into the 3 main one so that topics relevant to that service could be put on there and also have a general one where all the trivia could be browsed.
Banter is banter and everyone loves it, it forms an integral part of military aviation but there is a time and a place for everything.
Danny there was no aggro intended towards you and you should not assume and rise to it, no one in particular was mentioned.
I have posted a thread which I think may become interesting and seperate all the garbage from the good stuff, if it doesn't then at least we tried.