PDA

View Full Version : BTEC Aerospace Engineering...Mechanical or Avionic?

Military Man
26th Apr 2003, 21:24
Hi there

I am currently about to take my AS levels but am leaving college at the end of this year to go to Newcastle college in order to take part in their BTEC Aerospace Engineering course in conjunction with the new Newcastle Aviation Academy. I am about to apply but have discovered that Newcastle College offer two course

BTEC Aerospace Engineering Mechanical
BTEC Aerospcae Engineering Avionics

I understand that the mechanical course will involve learning the airframe structure and enginers and the avionic course will involve avionic systems such as electrical systems etc but was wanting to ask anyones opinion on which course they think would benefit someone possibly wanting to become a pilot and also if anyone has any experience as to what details these courses go into and what they consist of apart from what i already know which is.....not a lot really.

Id be really grateful if anyone could give me any help and also can anyone recommend any books etc for these courses.

Many thanks

Genghis the Engineer
27th Apr 2003, 01:26
If you are dead-set on pilot training as your end goal, and don't particularly plan to work in Engineering, then frankly I'd go for whichever you'll enjoy most - it's unlikely to make much difference.

Avionics will involve more maths, electromagnetic theory and computer work, Mechanical will involve more in the way of structural analysis and wind tunnel testing. Both, if you fail pilot training, will offer plenty of career opportunities so you might like to consider the issue in that context.

I wouldn't worry too much about books now, they'll tell you soon enough what they want you to buy for the specific courses. Having said that, whichever you go for, I'd recommend getting a good "Maths for Engineers and Scientists" book and working through it, that'll help you through whichever course.

G

Military Man
29th Apr 2003, 02:00
Thabkyou for your reply

In terms of working on the airframe, do you know what the avionics course will involve, also does anyone know what the syllabus structure is like.

Much appreciated

Happy Landings
30th Apr 2003, 23:00
I agree, if you want to be a pilot then it wont make much difference, so go with the option you enjoy most that way you will get a higher grade and find the course easier and your time at college more enjoyable. If you go onto degree level the course you do at uni will probably include both avionics and mechanics anyway. I presume you are doing physics AS level so thick about which subjects you find easiest i.e mechanics is force = mass x acceleration, speed, workdone etc. Avionics will be more about current, voltage, frequency, resistance, wavelength etc. You should know which type you find most interesting. Have a chat with your physics teacher and more importantly be mature and give the college tutors a ring to discuss the course in more detail. Also think about your back up plan, what do you want to do if your not a pilot. If its aircraft design or maintenance including powerplants (engines) then mechanical is better, if its design or maintenance of systems (navigation, electrical, communications even inflight entertainment) then avionics will be better.

Good Luck

HL

Pilotage
2nd May 2003, 18:51
If the specific course content isn't on that particular college's website look at some others. The content of aeronautical engineering courses is regulated by the Royal Aeronautical Society and you'll generally find that, except at MSc or Doctorate level, the basic content of courses with the same name will be pretty common.

So if you take a look around other websites you may find a syllabus that'll give you a fair idea of what you'd be letting yourself in for.

P