PDA

View Full Version : Converting CAA ( Australian ) ATPL to FAA ATPL ??

Airman27
26th Apr 2003, 14:06
Hey Guys,

I need to do this ASAP so if you can give me some advice on an easy cheap way to get it done then I would greatly appreciate it !!

I have to move to the U.S in the 3 months as my wife is being transfered there and need to get it done prior to moving if possible ??

Please help
Cheers
Airman27

Tinstaafl
26th Apr 2003, 20:38
The basic procedure - providing you meet ALL FAA ATP experience requirements - is to sit the ATP theory exam & then a flight test.

This now complicated by the US paranoid security caper. Now people also have to apply for a visa, have an interview at the US embassy/consulate & nominate a school for training.

It might be a bit different for you though. You'll be there on a residents/work type of visa?

Do a search on this site for more information on both the licence conversion and visa stuff. It's been covered many, many, many times before.

TeaCup
4th May 2003, 21:55
Slightly off the topic, to do a Oz CPL/IFR wheeties pack ALL ATPS converion to a FAA ATPL I understand one has to fill the form upto 90 days prior so that faa can confirm your CPL with casa. Whats this about a interview for a Visa, and what visa do you need? Can't find any thing to do with a visa in the faa site. Can you help?

This now complicated by the US paranoid security caper. Now people also have to apply for a visa, have an interview at the US embassy/consulate & nominate a school for training.

teacup

weasil
10th May 2003, 02:46
The FAA will not be checking on your immigration status.
The previous post is correct, you have to fill out a form and send it to the FAA in advance so that they can verify your foreign pilot certificate. This takes quite some time.

The form is available on www.faa.gov

The Immigration service is now part of the department of homeland security, it's called the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration now (BCIS) and the website is www.ins.gov

You cannot take flight training legally if you are here on a tourist visa (or coming from australia - no visa is required for short stays).

If you are coming here to live then you are required to have your visa organised prior to arrival. Flight schools are not required to check on your immigration status, but rest assured, many of them do. Lots of states/counties are also requiring local flight schools to conduct background checks prior to giving flight training on light aircraft, although the FAA has issued an opinion saying that flight training does fall within the jurisdiction of local authorities.

So do your homework first. A good flight school will be able to help do a lot of the legwork for you.

If you want to read the regulations concerning conversion training go to www.faa.gov also and see the section on Part 61 of the FAR's (federal aviation regulations).

Also this topic gets covered about once a month so search the archives.

Mshongo
16th May 2003, 09:49
Gday Airman,

I'm an aussie going through the same process at the moment. Please skip to the 3rd paragraph if your an immigration expert.

As for actually doing the conversion it involves nothing you havent done before. The theory exam is very straight forward, but do make sure you order yourself one of them ATP prep books. Whilst the exam is easy (its not a push over), you will have to revise some basic 727 stuff no doubt and get aquainted with US airspace. With 3 months you have plenty off time if you get cracking. The flight test itself is no harder then an initial oz IR (a fair bit easier actually).

Now for the visa issue. I came here under a visa waiver and am awaiting a change of visa status. I've been postponing all testing as i believed that you needed a learning/fiance/work visa (take your pick) before you could legally convert your license.
Very recently i called both the FAA and ALL ATPS (flight school) wondering if there is some way to do the conversion on a visa waiver. Both told me that your immigration status is not an issue!. The FAA actually stated they just issued an ATP to an Indian and didnt check his visa status as it is not their concern. If you've done the verification buisness and have a US ppl (based on foreign CPL/ATPL) then you can upgrade it any time.

So my question is to anyone whom can give me the reference/regulation where it says you cannot be issued with a US ATP on a visa waiver. It'd really suck if i gave my money to ALL ATPS, did the testing, then when the FAA comes to give you the license they say "Oh sorry we cant do that, you need an appropriate visa" (even though they previously said otherwise). I know i've read it somewhere, can anyone help. Maybe its a gray area of it not being legal but also not being illegal.

Back to Airman.
1. get your oz license verified as stated in previous posts. Its easy to do, should take not more then a few weeks.
2. read an ATP2003 test prep.
3. talk to a flying school and get them to sponsor you for a learning visa (j1-m1), think twice about showing up on a visa waiver (ie, nothing but your pasport). But once again according to the info i just got, no one seems to care what visa your on.
4. come to the US, 2 days later bobs your uncle.

Cheers.

V1 Rotate
16th May 2003, 11:38
I have just done all of this myself. I can confirm most of the above. However be aware that no one will touch you with a barge pole if you don't have a work permit/social security number.
If you get a Business visa issued before you come to the States you will also be able to get a Driving License (provided you can drive).
See if you qualify for an E visa !
Another tip.........if you can find the contact at your CAA who actually responds to the verification requests you can help it through in a matter of hours as opposed to weeks.
The guy at Oklahoma City who does the verification is Andrew Cargill, he is very helpful. His Email is:- [email protected]
Hope this helps

V1 Rotate

Mshongo
16th May 2003, 13:47
But can you convert on a visa waiver for those comming from the entitled nations?
The FAA says yes.
The weasil our good moderator says no "You cannot take flight training legally if you are here on a tourist visa ".
Can any samaritan help us with this one?.

V1 Rotate
16th May 2003, 21:55
As far as I know you have to have the foreign verification and then the flight school has to apply for a security clearance from the FBI. This includes finger printing and back ground checks.
If you just want the training etc. and don't want to work in the US then the visa wont really be a problem. But do consult with the flight schools.
V1 Rotate