PDA

View Full Version : loganair SD360 Fatal crash AAIB findings

spancan
26th Apr 2003, 08:43
I haven't seen the AAIB offical findings(if thats the word). To be honest I have been scared to ask for them at work as one pilot was susspeneded for two days for asking to see the draft copies. It has been reported in the scottish TV and the local newspapers that the double engine failure was the result of a snow/ice build up in the intakes.

Several Points:

1: On a walkaround it is impossible to do an inspection of the intakes without the aid of a ladder.
(After the crash loganair fitted ladders to the hold).

2: No SD360 A/C at Loganair carried a overnight kit of engine blanks etc. (indeed crews were never shown on how to fit them should the matter arise).

3: Pre crash the policy for entering icing conditions (+6 degrees) was to put both engine anti-ice vanes,at the same time, on(post crash this was adjusted to one on, note itt's etc. then the other one on;this used to be done many moons ago according to one training captain).

This crash could and should have been avoided if Loganair had had decent engineering coverage at EDI, instead the lives of carl masson(ex RAF and Bristows) and Russell Dixon the F/O would have not perished.

Loganair said in a press release "It was disappointed to learn from a similar occurrence involving a Shorts 360 had taken place some years before.
Had this been reported to the industry operators would have been aware of the dangers".

Oh really? Well I don't fly that A/C now but still work for the airline and nobody has ever mentioned any other fatal coverup!

White Knight
26th Apr 2003, 13:51
I find it hard to understand that one of your colleagues was suspended for wanting to have a look at the draft report !! After all the final report will be available for all to see. Sounds as if management have a few things they'd like kept quiet. If that's the case let's hope the AAIB open everything wide and expose anything that is remotely dodgy.

Norman Stanley Fletcher
26th Apr 2003, 17:23
On that fateful evening, I was the Captain of a Dornier 328 that took off immediately in front of the Loganair SD360 in question when we were flying from EDI to LCY. Both myself and my FO found it very harrowing to listen to the first mayday call and the subsequent ditching call going out from the SD360. Incidentally there was total calm and not a hint of panic from the crew or from the EDI controller who tried to give them vectors back to the field - a great credit to the professionalism of all concerned.

I have no doubt there are some harsh and possibly embarrassing lessons to be learnt from the company point of view, but I hope everyone can swallow their pride in the interests of flight safety and give a full and accurate assessment of the causes. The greatest gift we can give to the families of those who lost their lives is to ensure this never happens again.

BEXIL160
26th Apr 2003, 21:56
Is this the report that you're after?

http://www.aaib.dft.gov.uk/formal/gbnmt/index.htm

Sobering reading.

BEX

BoeingMEL
27th Apr 2003, 17:39
Speaking personally, I have never flown a 330 or 360 anywhere in the world which did not have prop-ties and engine blanks on board. With regard to the reported snow build-up behind the vanes, in my view this would most likely not have been visible....even with a ladder. How ironic that that the crew paid such an awful price for parking their aircraft into wind.... a normally sound practice which is drummed into us all from our very first flying lesson. Hopefully lessons will be learned from this tragedy.... especially one relating to exercising vanes one at a time. On a personal note (usual disclaimers) I have known many Loganair drivers over the years but never met one who was in any way concerned about training or safety issues within the company. RIP guys. BM

PAXboy
28th Apr 2003, 00:57
Any organisation can make mistakes.
Any person and people can overlook something.
Any combination of factors can line up in the Swiss Cheese.

BoeingMEL
28th Apr 2003, 06:46
Thanks for the correction Bra1..point taken. BM

Wheelon-Wheeloff.
29th Apr 2003, 01:56
With regards to parking into wind, aside from the airmanship point, the shed had a tailwind limit of 11 knots due to the forward opening aft door. For this reason alone it would have been parked into wind when it arrived.