PDA

View Full Version : Kathmandu?

FlyMD
25th Apr 2003, 21:04
Anybody out there with experience flying to and staying in Kathmandu (Nepal)?

Any feedback appreciated,

Tks

middlepath
26th Apr 2003, 00:21
short term OK long term not ok. As in any developing country, Kathmandu is very polluted and crouded. However, people in general are very friendly and outside the city limit is very pleasent. Jobs as pilot are rare and paid not too well. Does that help!

FlyMD
26th Apr 2003, 00:49
OK, tks, we are just going there 9 days with the customer's plane, so i'm more worried about handling, hotels, and such....

middlepath
26th Apr 2003, 05:20
handeling, five star hotels and usual service is not a problem at all. If you are expecting arrival at night or in imc condition then need special care due to VOR-DME RWY o2 approach or circling 20. MSA towards North is 21000` and to the South where you are approaching is 9500`. RWY 02 VOR-DME Initial approch require about 6 digrees descend until 4DME to the rwy then normal 3.5 digrees APP path. PAPI glide path is steeper than usual 3 digree. Little steeper than GVA 05.

Have fun.

Ttree Ttrimmer
27th Apr 2003, 07:03
Check out the escape path missed approach that, for rwy 02, involves a 270 degree turn to get you out down a valley to the west of the field. If day time, especially morning, expect poor visibility that is not aided by lousy runway conspicuity and slightly offset vor approach.

Handling generally good, if a little slow, especially if a Royal Nepal aircraft arrives at the same time. You will need US drinking vouchers to pay for everything. Corruption is not dead there either, so have some spare!

People very friendly indeed if very poor. If you have any old clothes to get rid of, take them with you as it will help someone out. The airport shop sells a great rum sold in a bottle the shape of the Nepalese traditional knife. A nice keepsake even after the hangover has died down!

:O

CDRW
27th Apr 2003, 13:11
Flew in there many times on a 767 - hope that your first time its CAVOK 'cos the approach can give one quite a shock. I strongly suggest you do some homework before going in. Getting out - just keep in mind 4dme - stay in that cirlce and you are ok - go north a mile or two and we will read about right here on this website.

Layover - beers are cold - get out and see the local area - enjoy.

himalaya
27th Apr 2003, 22:40
The wx tends to be little nasty in the late afternoon these days and sticks around Nopen (16 NM South to KTM). Morning arrival are prefered if you are coming here for the first time. Stay right on the 022 radial and don't bust the minimums and watch out for the ridge at 8 dme on Vor dme rwy 02 approach.
The place is crowded but not as polluted as few years back. Hyatt Regency is a nice hotel to stay at which is in Boudha.
Handling is pretty quick if there aren't more than 2 international arrivals together.
What else .....I guess that about it.

FlyMD
28th Apr 2003, 00:19
Hey Thanks a lot guys !

Goes to show that PPrune is useful for more than a lesson in what the Brits call humour! (just kidding).

I appreciate the help, and wish you all clear skies and empty HILs...

Chris