PDA

View Full Version : Some strange facts

Seaweed Knees
25th Apr 2003, 09:12
Did you know....

It is impossible to lick your elbow.

A crocodile can't stick its tongue out.

A shrimp's heart is in its head.

In a study of 200,000 ostriches over a period of 80 years, no one reported a single case where an ostrich buried its head in the sand.

It is physically impossible for pigs to look up into the sky.

A pregnant goldfish is called a twit.

More than 50% of the people in the world have never made or received a telephone call.

Horses can't vomit.

The "sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick" is said to be the toughest tongue twister in the English language.

Rats multiply so quickly that in 18 months, two rats could have over a million descendants.

Wearing headphones for just an hour will increase the bacteria in your ear by 700 times.

If the government has no knowledge of aliens, then why does Title 14, Section 1211 of the Code of Federal Regulations, implemented on July 16, 1969, make it illegal for U.S. citizens to have any contact with extraterrestrials or their vehicles?

In every episode of Seinfeld there is a Superman somewhere.

A duck's quack doesn't echo, and no one knows why.

23% of all photocopier faults worldwide are caused by people sitting on them and photocopying their butts.

Most lipstick contains fish scales.

Like fingerprints, everyone's tongue print is different.

Over 75% of people who read this will try to lick their elbow.

The sentence "the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" uses every letter in the English language.

The average human eats 8 spiders in their lifetime at night.

"I am." is the shortest complete sentence in the English language.

The shortest war in history was between Zanzibar and England in 1896. Zanzibar surrendered after 38 minutes.

A polar bear's skin is black. Its fur is not white, but actually clear.

Donald Duck comics were banned in Finland because he doesn't wear pants.

More people are killed by donkeys annually than are killed in plane crashes.

Shakespeare invented the word "assassination" and "bump."

If you keep a Goldfish in the dark room, it will eventually turn white.

Women blink nearly twice as much as men.

The name of all the continents end with the same letter that they start with.

TYPEWRITER, is the longest word that can be made using the letters on only one row of the keyboard.

If the population of China walked past you in single file, the line would never end because of the rate of reproduction

A snail can sleep for 3 years.

China has more English speakers than the United States.

The longest word in the English language is 1909 letters long and it refers to a distinct part of DNA.

Cats have over one hundred vocal sounds, dogs only have about ten.

Our eyes are always the same size from birth, but our nose and ears never stop growing.

Cat's urine glows under a black light.

Babies are born without knee caps. They don't appear until the child reaches 2-6 years of age.

Only one person in two billion will live to be 116 or older.

If you yelled for 8 years, 7 months and 6 days, you would have produced enough sound energy to heat one cup of coffee. If you fart consistently for 6 years and 9 months, enough gas is produced to create the energy of an atomic bomb.

The human heart creates enough pressure when it pumps out to the body to squirt blood 30 feet.

On average, people fear spiders more than they do death.

The strongest muscle in the body is the TONGUE.

The ant always falls over on its right side when intoxicated.

Polar bears are left-handed.

A cockroach will live nine days without its head, before it starves to death.

Butterflies taste with their feet.

Elephants are the only animals that can't jump.

An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.

Peanuts are one of the ingredients of dynamite.

The average secretary's left hand does 56% of the typing.

There are more chickens than people in the world.

Two-thirds of the world's eggplant is grown in New Jersey.

The longest one-syllable word in the English language is "screeched."

No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver or purple.

Almonds are members of the peach family.

A cat has 32 muscles in each ear.

Tigers have striped skin, not just striped fur.

In most advertisements, including newspapers, the time displayed on a watch is 10:10.

The name for Oz in the "Wizard of Oz" was thought up when the creator, Frank Baum, looked at his filing cabinet and saw A-N and O-Z, hence "Oz."

The microwave was invented after a researcher walked by a radar tube and a chocolate bar melted in his pocket.

The average person falls asleep in seven minutes.

There are 336 dimples on a regulation golf ball.

In 10 minutes, a hurricane releases more energy than all the world's nuclear weapons combined.

On average, 100 people choke to death on ball-point pens every year.

Ninety percent of New York City cabbies are recently arrived immigrants.

Thirty-five percent of the people who use personal ads for dating are already married.

It's possible to lead a cow upstairs...but not downstairs.

The Main Library at Indiana University sinks over an inch every year because when it was built, engineers failed to take into account the weight of all the books that would occupy the building.

The average life span of a major league baseball: 7 pitches.

In ancient Egypt, priests plucked EVERY hair from their bodies, including their eyebrows and eyelashes.

If Barbie were life-size, her measurements would be 39-23-33. She would stand seven feet,two inches tall.

The cigarette lighter was invented before the match.

Binoculars
25th Apr 2003, 10:09
:hmm: OK, I'll buy most of those in the lack of evidence to the contrary, but I want to see a photo of the library at Indiana University. An inch a year?????? I think those folks in Pisa might have some competition on their hands. Oh wait, the whole building is sinking uniformly? Ahh, so the ground floor is actually below ground? The mind boggles. :ooh:

KallYaBack
25th Apr 2003, 14:01
The Library? I wanna see Barbie...

AerBabe
25th Apr 2003, 16:10
Yes, but if Barbie were life-sized, she wouldn't be 7' 2" ... she'd be 5' 6" :confused:

Konkordski
25th Apr 2003, 16:56
The sick sheikh tongue-twister is a piece of p!ss compared with the Polish entry:

W Szczebrzeszynie chrzaszcz brzmi w trzcinie

wilco83
25th Apr 2003, 17:10
OR:

Na wyscigach wyscigowych wyscigowka wyscigowa wyscignela wyscigowke wyscigowa

:O

AerBabe
25th Apr 2003, 17:12
Is it hayfever season already?

topcat450
25th Apr 2003, 17:21
I spotted that about Barbie...how many 7ft tall life sized women are there? - mind you, i'd love to see her (ahem) ********* ** ;)

Jules Meister
25th Apr 2003, 17:21
Bet everyone who reads it tries to lick their elbow!

Grainger
25th Apr 2003, 18:59
No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver or purple. Ha ! What about gunth, gorringe, gilver and gurple ????

Bet they never thought about that, did they ? ;)

And no, I didn't try to lick them... Really.

tony draper
25th Apr 2003, 19:07
Its not possible to fold a sheet of paper in half eight times. :rolleyes:

BigGreenPleasureMachine
25th Apr 2003, 20:29
What's a black light? Surely black is the absence of light? Was my physics teacher kidding me on?

FlyMD
25th Apr 2003, 20:49
Yes, but then:

- it IS possible to lick a crocodile's elbow, or to stick one's tongue at it.. wanna bet?

- a MAN's heart beats in his pants...

- It is equally impossible physically for a pilot NOT to look up at the sky when hearing airplane noise...

- If 50% of the world never made a phone call, my wife makes up for it with no problem at all...

- Forget a horse vomiting: I wanna see a giraffe upchucking!:\

ratsarrse
25th Apr 2003, 20:50
In the same vein, an important personal discovery. If you shave a dalmation, it's pink with black spots. Just thought it was important to share that with everyone.

simon brown
25th Apr 2003, 21:51
23% of all photocopier faults worldwide are caused by people sitting on them and photocopying their butts.

....Or 77% of photocopier faults are not analy related...

Like fingerprints, everyone's tongue print is different.
..how do you think they caught the gloved theif who broke into Pamela Andersen's bedroom

It's possible to lead a cow upstairs...but not downstairs
thats right, she can make her own way to the door once the beer goggles have worn off

Thirty-five percent of the people who use personal ads for dating are already married.
The remaining 65% would like to be married, until they are... then they become the 35%

Women blink nearly twice as much as men
Only when they're involved in some subdifuge

Polar bears are left-handed.
Rubbish, they are left pawwed. Besides how do they change gear in a manual, left hand drive car?

A snail can sleep for 3 years
..or a snail can be housebound for 3 years

If the government has no knowledge of aliens, then why does Title 14, Section 1211 of the Code of Federal Regulations, implemented on July 16, 1969, make it illegal for U.S. citizens to have any contact with extraterrestrials or their vehicles?
I take it there was a sign planted 4 days later for the inhabitiants of the moon......

Ozzy
25th Apr 2003, 22:13
I can lick my elbow and I'm no Gene Simmons

Ozzy

Seaweed Knees
26th Apr 2003, 03:31
Here are a few more because I know you want them:

Men are 6 times more likley to be struck by lightning than women.

It is estamated that millions of trees in the world are accidently planted by squirrles who bury nuts and forget where they hid them.

Ernest Vincent Wright wrote a novel,"Gadsby", which contains over 50,000 words--none of them with the letter "E".

Of all the words in the english laguage, the word set has the most definitions.

A toothpick is the object most often choked on by americans.

Every 45 seconds, a house catches on fire in the United States.

A mole can dig 300 feet in just one night.

Ancient Egyptians slept on pillows made of stone.

A hippo can open it's mouth wide enough to fit a 4 foot tall child inside.

A humming bird weighs less than a penny.

The earth weighs 6,588,000,000,000,000,000.000.000 tons.

The original name for the "butterfly" "Flutterby".

Dogs and cats, like humans, are either right or left handed...or is that paws. ?

The opposite side of cubed dice always add up to seven.

Nose prints are used to identify dogs, Just like humans use fingerprints.

Apples are more efficent than caffine in kepping people awake in the mornings.

T_richard
26th Apr 2003, 03:42
Somebody has way to much time on their hands,......... having said that Yes please I'd like to meet a living Barbie too. I'll overlook the 7 feet tall issue if I can look at the 39" inch bust:p

tony draper
26th Apr 2003, 03:57
The Giraffe was called Camelopardis once, the ancients, not unreasonably, thought it was a cross betwixt a Camel and a Leopard, there is a southern constelation called Camelopardis, or there was, they prolly changed it, the feckers can't leave anything alone these days.
:(

PaperTiger
26th Apr 2003, 04:15
For those who get hungry
When gliding at Blorenge (http://www.sewhgpgc.co.uk/blor.html)
Remember to carry
An apple or orange.