PDA

View Full Version : Why don't singers sing with an accent?

Rollingthunder
25th Apr 2003, 07:32
Talking, primarily, about British singers.

Thinking back to the Beatles etc. their Liverpool accents never were present in their tunes - or Brit accents in any other Brit singers. It was the "British Sound" but without any accents. It all came out as North American sounding or possibly more accurately mid-Atlantic (neither here nor there). Never figured that one out. Now, George Formby was an exception to the rule.

Ozzy
25th Apr 2003, 07:44
Ask The Proclaimers. They do an excellent job mate.

Ozzy

Mad (Flt) Scientist
25th Apr 2003, 11:08
or the worzels?? :) (spelling?)

kopbhoy2
25th Apr 2003, 16:54
Au contraire - the Beatles accents can often be heard in their songs, listen to anything Ringo sang (or attempted to sing :) )

Certainly I wouldn't have thought someone like Shaun Ryder or liam Gallagher were from anywhere other than the North of Enlgand, or Damon Albarn anything other than a southerner...

Some singers use their own accents, and some fake other accents. This can be a good thing but it can lead to some funny moments - U2's Bono tends to sing with a mid-atlantic drawl - his 'Ok Edge, play the blues' comment during 'Rattle & Hum' is both embarassing and funny!

maninblack
25th Apr 2003, 18:09
Here's an odd one for you.........look who the Wurzels share their management with. :O

cruisin music (http://www.cruisin.co.uk)

simon brown
25th Apr 2003, 20:05
Country and Western in a Geordie accent ? what ever next...

Yah pickd a fey'n teymt'a leev me lew-ceel
Faw'r undraad bairns encrapped in a feeld

Stan' by waa maaaaan.....

djk
29th Apr 2003, 20:25
Joseph Porter of Blyth Power does
as does Billy Bragg and Rory McLeod

newswatcher
29th Apr 2003, 20:37
Ever heard Maurice Chevalier singing "Thank Heavens for Little Girls", before it was no longer PC to declare such desires!

BlueDiamond
29th Apr 2003, 21:21
I think accents certainly can be heard at times. I have in mind "Ferry Across the Mersey" by Gerry & the Pacemakers also "The Green Fie;d of France" sung by the Fureys (sp?? Furies??)

Accents are clearly discernible in those two.

Tinstaafl
29th Apr 2003, 22:01
Some the speech effects that cause accents include inflection, pace & pronunciation of the phonemes from which words are made.

Singing tends to dampen those things:

Inflection Instead of the regional tonal variation during normal speech the singer now has to hold a particular pitch ie whatever note the melody specifies.

Pace Instead of the regional variation in pace betweeen & within words & sentences the singer conforms to the beat/rhythm of the music.

Pronunciation The normal speech patterns that cause some sounds to be clipped & others extended are also affected by the music eg a song where the sounding of particular word gets extended, or another word said quickly to fit between a couple of beats.

SpinSpinSugar
29th Apr 2003, 22:41
I think the delectable Sophie Ellis Bextor sings with a very discernible "British" accent. So much so you wonder if all the other female pop singers in this country are actually singing in American.

foghorn
29th Apr 2003, 23:20
At the risk of repeating what others have said, I can think of the following as people who have been in the charts in the last decade who have sung in British accents:

Jarvis Cocker (Pulp) - strong hints of Sheffield there
Sophie Ellis Bextor
Damon Albarn (Blur)
Saffron (Republica)
M. Forbes (Planet Perfecto)
Nina Persson (The Cardigans) - despite being Swedish!

But you're right, they are thin on the ground when compared to those who fake Yank accents. I guess it's just the done thing.

Don't you find it sad the way that the likes of Elton John and Paul McCartney speak with a cod-Yank accent when they are on stage in the US, that they magically don't have when over here?

Woff1965
30th Apr 2003, 02:40
Cerys Mathews sounds really welsh when she sings.

(although I heard someone on the radio who claimed to have gone to school with her wh osaid she developed a much stronger accent after leaving school).

Loki
30th Apr 2003, 03:27
Wot I want to know is; why everyone has an accent except me.

John (Gary) Cooper
30th Apr 2003, 03:39
:yuk:

Alan Smethurst:
'Hey yer got a loight buoy?'

Slim Dusty:

'A pub with no beer'

Cilla Black:

'Hey you are a mucky kid'

Brian and Michael:

'Matchstalk men and matchstalk cats and dogs'

Driver 67: