PDA

View Full Version : Joining the armed forces

theundisputedtopgun
25th Apr 2003, 03:53
Hi

I hope to apply for pilot in one of the services. If I was rejected by one and then I applied to another (e.g. RAF then apply for FAA), would they have a problem due to the fact I did not apply to that service first?

Many thanks in advance

Training Risky
25th Apr 2003, 04:59
Hi undisputed....

I can't speak from experience, I've been RAF through and through. But I would imagine your chances depend on your attitude and the way you come across at your interviews.

The AIB might well ask you if and why you didn't want to be a navy pilot first. If you can explain without bull****ting or waffling (they can smell that a mile off), the sincere reasons why you want to be a naval officer and pilot, I can't see there being a problem...

There might be some navy out there who will say differently, but that's just my perception.

But you must do some serious soul-searching and come up with the right reasons for wanting to join HM Forces as an officer, then convince a selection board that you are their man!

Good luck whatever the outcome;)

The Wathp
25th Apr 2003, 05:27
Hi,

As long as you are sensible about it, there generally isn't a problem.

I got a Flying Scholarship off the RAF, and made two applications to both the RAF and RN, I did 2 years in the RNR and am about to join the RN. The only person to ever comment was the questioning officer at my initial interview for the RAF, and even then it was of a comic tone.

So as long as your reasons are genuine, and (as has already been said) don't waffle, you should have no snags. However having said that, the experience I have had of talking to other candidates seems to suggest both services like nabbing people from each other.

My main suggestion would be to try and get some work experience with both services and genuinely decide which you want to serve in, it helped for me when I was in my more fluctuant periods :).

Hope it helps.
Regards.