PDA

View Full Version : Swapping Host & Client PCs in ICS

Ausatco
24th Apr 2003, 22:09
I have 2 Wintel PCs sharing (ICS) a broadband internet connection through a 10/100 LAN. Both are running XP. I want to swap host and client. I know how to set up ICS from scratch, but I cannot find any info that deals with swapping host and client AFTER ICS has been set up.

Before I screw it up with trial and error, any clues, anyone?

Thanks in advance

AA

amanoffewwords
25th Apr 2003, 06:02
I would suggest running the "set up a home or small office network" wizard to be found in the left hand-bar of the network connections section of the control panel. Alternatively click on start --> All programs --> Accessories --> Communications --> Network setup wizard.

Both paths lead you to the same wizard - should be self-explanatory :confused: once you run it on each machine. A reboot may be in order after you run them to allow the IP addresses to sort themselves out.

HTH ;)

Ausatco
25th Apr 2003, 08:12
Thanks, Man.

That's the approach I initially thought I would take, but on second look I'm not sure if it's ok to do this and simply "overwrite" the current setup. It crossed my mind that it might be better to remove the current setup (I don't know how to do that, but I presume it's possible) and then run the wizard, as you suggest, to set up the new configuration.

I'll keep researching for a bit, but in the meantime I'd sure appreciate any help or opinions.

Cheers

AA

Ausatco
25th Apr 2003, 13:21
Sorry to be replying to myself, but for those interested...

It helps if you put the right words into XP's Help and Support centre search field.:O

You DO have to switch off internet connection sharing on the current host computer before changing hosts. Then, as manoffewwords suggested, run the network setup wizard, first on the new host, then on the client.

Given that the network was already set up and working, I suspect you can swap client and host manually just by checking and unchecking various boxes, but for those not network savvy, the wizard avoids pain.

I discovered the hard way that ZoneAlarm must be disabled during this process because the IP addresses may change and ZA blocks the new ones. I eventually had to uninstall ZA from the new host computer and then reinstall it to get it to configure itself to the new arrangement. That only took a minute or so, but it took me ages to figure out that's what I had to do.

Now for the wireless network, for which this reconfig was preparation.:D

Subject to treasury constraints (Mrs AA), of course. ;)

AA