PDA

View Full Version : Silk Air sacks Aussie Captains (x10)

Sir Shiraz
24th Apr 2003, 15:06
Just heard that Silkair have taken the axe to Approx 10 or so Aussie expat Captains due to SARS and loss of business etc....

3 months pay to be given and they have stopped flying with immediate effect.

:(

Rabbit
24th Apr 2003, 15:41
Well how many of their A310's and A320's do they intend to keep flying????

Is it only Aussies going or is it more general????

CubaLibre
24th Apr 2003, 17:48
More general.

5 Aussies, 3 Indians. All on expat terms.

They continue to train the 4 South Americans Captains (2 of whom haven't started their sim yet) who are here on local terms.

Hasta La Vista Baby

Eastwest Loco
24th Apr 2003, 19:24
Have noticed that SIN PDG MI flights at least for April May have been canned - only 2 round trips per week, but havent got much more through on MI cancellations.

PDG is generally an A320/A319 route.

I would consider SIN CEB and a few other shorthaul intra- Asia routes under threat as well.

CX/KA is a different story. Services are being rationalised at a masive rate, but I have yet to pick up on any total withdrawals.

I will try to check shortly.

Best regards

EWL

greybeard
25th Apr 2003, 16:11
More goss,
MI expats may be offered to return if things improve, but on local terms.
SIA have in April ceased Ops of the 340, terminated those who were too old for another fleet, some Aussies.

May 31 sees 310 with the same fate, terminations also have been made to Expats as above and a couple who were a lot younger.

Also no expat pilot on 310 was given any course date for 747 or 777, many different expats in there including an Aussie or two.

Boss gives the bad news today to all staff, standby for more.

:\

bonvol
26th Apr 2003, 12:09
And what of the scabs up there Greybeard?

I'm hoping I wont have to look at them hiding in the corner at Fatties anymore.

B772
26th Apr 2003, 17:01
Is Brian McCarthy still on the A310 with SQ

CubaLibre
27th Apr 2003, 02:20
Doubt it, heard that no expat on the 310 is on a course. If that is true then Brian is in the same boat as the rest of us.

Eastwest Loco
27th Apr 2003, 13:34
SQ mainline is axeing Australian services too with SYD SIN and BNE SIN ops the first casualties.

bonvol - Fatties is still there???? Excellent - went there first time ove 20 years ago with a Lufthansa cabin crew and a bunch of TAA trafficys on an aleged edjo.

Best

EWL

Pass-A-Frozo
1st May 2003, 09:28
As a side note, what does Silk Air pay?

RaTa
1st May 2003, 09:43
Eastwest Loco

Fatties is still very popular but at a slightly different address. Fatty passed away a couple of years ago and the restaurant is now run by his daughter and her two brothers, one of whom is called Skinny !:D

Karunch
1st May 2003, 12:53
Pass a Frozo, they pay Singapore $ but not very many. Always been viewed as a stepping stone or a way of keeping current till something else comes along. Local terms will ensure a healthy turnover in the better times. No reflection upon those working there though. Cheers,

permFO
5th May 2003, 10:30
I thought Fattys was a QF hangout?Personally I prefer Maggies, the food is just as good, the staff are friendly and its a lot cheaper.

jakethemuss
5th May 2003, 16:02
Where's Maggies

RaTa
6th May 2003, 09:44
permFO you not only see QF crew at Fatties but also plenty of crews from other airlines as well. Anyway I would not mind trying something new, so where is Maggies?

permFO
6th May 2003, 19:52
Instead of going in the direction of C.H.I.J.M.E.S you head down Beach Road for about 4 blocks and its on the left. Its like a food hall setup but the staff actually smile at you. BTW I realise other crew go to Fatty's but do they have their own set menus. If you ask for the standard Qantas menu I could tell you what you would get.:p

Eastwest Loco
6th May 2003, 19:59
Thanks RaTa

Went there with an LH 742 combi crew a million years ago and got obvious the Lufthansa menu - sorry to hear about Fatty passing, but good to see the kids carrying it on.

Will make a point of visiting next time in.

Shame I cant take the LH F/A with the red hair too. :}

Best regards

EWL

RaTa
7th May 2003, 07:28
Eastwest Loco.........you are most wellcome.

permFO.......thanks for the info, I think I've seen the the place and will try it out next time. I must also try out their Tsin Tao (spelling?).:D Thanks again.

Sorry that this has gone a little off topic.