PDA

View Full Version : Jumpseat With BA?

VFE
10th Feb 2001, 04:13
Hello folks,
I am off to the USA next week (Tues) from LGW. I am not sure if jumpseat rides are out of the question now with BA, so my question is this:
Is it possible to sit in the cockpit for the take - off and/or landing with BA these days?

Got my note to the Captain already typed!

Any replies are more than welcome!

Thanks, VFE.

Speedbird 2946
10th Feb 2001, 06:20
ABSOLUTELY!

Provided you are can prove you are genuinely interested (PPL, some kind of aviation related ID) then you should have no probs. The BA crews are generally good, although some Captains have reservations about jumpseat visitors. This, of course, is entirely their choice so just go with it and if you get in then good!

Just be polite and hopefully you'll get lucky!

Speedbird 2946

Wedge
10th Feb 2001, 13:33
You don't need a PPL - if you are a student pilot that should be good enough.

If you can ask the dispatcher when you get to the gate, they can ask the flight deck crew for you - worked for me a couple of weeks ago.

VFE
10th Feb 2001, 14:41
Thanks Speedbird2946 and Wedge.
Not got a PPL yet but I'll take my logbook and class one medical certificate as some sort of back up.
I am actually going out to view a flying school I'm interested in doing my CPL with!

Thanks again, VFE.

PFO
10th Feb 2001, 14:50
VFE,

Good luck mate.

One small point - make sure your letter is hand-written, not typed.

PFO

go
10th Feb 2001, 16:45
I flew down to LGW on the jumpseat of a RJ100
last friday which was excellent,,,I always take my licence along with me and hand write a post it note and stick it on the front ..always works...well nearly...always book an isle seat so you can get out easily and always hand yr note as you get on the a/c...so you get a take off...good luck

Speedy G
10th Feb 2001, 20:01
I sat j/seat on a transatlantic flight on both outward and return journeys for take off, landing and several hours of the flight - Be understanding though, the pilots do want some time to themselves so be polite and go back to your seat for dinner and the film then return a little later - I cant see them being really mean and saying no! However some are weary because of so-called "Moles" spying on them and telling tales to the press.

Just be realy polite and ask the stewardess when you get on and I'm certain you'll be up there in no time, oh yes, get to the airport early so you are one of the first on the plane so you don't find yourself asking when the cabin crew have a million and one problems and people to sit down.

Good Luck

Speedy

VFE
10th Feb 2001, 21:20
Thanks for all the advice folks.

Fingers crossed.

Regards, VFE.