PDA

View Full Version : USA Art Thieves

T_richard
24th Apr 2003, 12:18
I want to get ahead of the US bashers on this one. Some members of the US press and the US military have been arrested for attempting to smuggle Iraqi art works into the US. They were busted by US Customs and the art work has been recovered. THink what you like about us, but these guys are screwed big time. The media play is important, but the predominant view is that this stealing won't be tolerated by the average man on the street. I wish these guys luck, but I hope they get prosecuted to the full extent of the law

Anthony Carn
24th Apr 2003, 16:59
They should do a deal with the thieves - amnesty in return for taking some of our "art" back to Iraq. :rolleyes:

Taildragger55
24th Apr 2003, 23:50
All very deplorable, but as war crimes go, nicking a few paintings and vases is on the harmless side compared to the ethnic cleansing that has featured in many of our recent wars.

Tricky Woo
25th Apr 2003, 00:12
Nicked art antiquities? Hey, this could be our big chance! We can hand back the Elgin Marbles during the amnesty.

Also Cleopatra's Needle; that blunt sword we nicked off the Jocks; the contents of the V&A and BM; half the piccies in Buck Palace.

Good thing to get that load of swag off our hands, eh?

TW

Onan the Clumsy
25th Apr 2003, 06:56
I hear a portion of that 600 million dollars they found turned up in someones kitbag too. Whoops!

...and no bashing intended.

Ozzy
25th Apr 2003, 06:59
The real "Three Kings" all the best to them, wish they had gotten away with it. They deserve it. Who's going to miss 1 million from 600? Bloody hell.

Ozzy

HugMonster
25th Apr 2003, 18:14
That gives a remarkably clear insight to your morals, Ozzy. No, they don't deserve it. The people of Iraq, from whom it was originally stolen, deserve and need it. These are criminals who already have perfectly good incomes, all the food and healthcare they need. The vast majority of Iraqis don't even have access to a functioning hospital or clean water.

Tricky Woo
25th Apr 2003, 20:34
Daft sods: someone might not notice a missing million dollars, but there were no guarantees it wouldn't show up during a search.

Would have been brighter to nick the $599 million, and bury it somewhere safe.

Marine: "Good news, Sir, we have recovered $1 million of the stolen Irak-ee money".

Captain: "Outstanding, Marine, er... put it into my Hummer, and I'll, er, hand it over to the, er, General later. Dismissed!".

(later)

Marine (with sand under his fingernails): "Hey General, did the Captain give you that $600 million dollars I left on the back seat of his Hummer?"

General (opening his wallet): "What! He said it was $100 thousand!"

TW

Techman
25th Apr 2003, 20:44
I wonder if the US military will treat their own thiefs in the same way they treat Iraqi thiefs.
That is to strip them of their clothes, write "thief" on their chest, and then have them running naked trough the streets while shouting abuse at them.

G.Khan
25th Apr 2003, 20:50
Be reasonable Techman, if anyone did that in the streets of New York or London it would be classified as Art and the subjects paid millions! :}

simon brown
25th Apr 2003, 21:43
Someone should have told them that the "Mona Lisa" wearing a digital watch was a copy