PDA

View Full Version : BBC: Ryanair's 'Sahaf' advert angers rival

PAXboy
24th Apr 2003, 07:30
This should link to the story on BBC website, Wednesday late evening.

BBC News (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2969121.stm)

Opening paragraph:

Low-cost airline Ryanair has been criticised for an advert featuring the former Iraqi information minister. The advert casts Mohammed Saeed Sahaf in the role of a spokesman for Ryanair's main rival, Easyjet.

Nice one!

Config
24th Apr 2003, 09:22
Another typical Ryanair move. The reaction (as I am sure will continue on this thread) is just what MOL wanted.

Nice one!

flappless
24th Apr 2003, 12:06
Putting aside for one moment the serious issue of the war in Iraq....... Mohammed Saeed Sahaf was a joker who actually carried out a serious role in the eyes of the people in the region who saw him. I could not link ANYTHING serious to ANYTHING he had to say. MOL's use of this man is just a publicity stunt - one that is working as well as I am sure he would have hoped. However, for me, it just re affirms that you can't believe a thing that MOL says and any of the slogans that he and others like him use. Once a liar, always a liar !

Have a good day.

Pandora
24th Apr 2003, 17:10
Notwithstanding the fact that Ryanair seem to be confusing rivalry within the bounds of good taste with comparing their competitors to a lying terrorist regime, I found it most amusing to read yesterday that for the second time in as many promotions Ryanair cannot even give tickets away.

PaxmanwithInfo
24th Apr 2003, 21:54
Hiya Everybody

(a lá Doctor Nic from the Simpsons!)

I think it's very funny indeed. Made me laugh. Being po-faced about this is a bit silly.

Good-natured avertising - good fun - and great marketing.

I would say it is by far more cost effective than a standard T.V. mega-expensive ad campaign.

Note the word campaign - there is an airline war out there and I wonder who is winning?

Thankfully one of the acknowledged amusing players in the Iraqi war (however insidious) was chosen to have a dig at a rival.

Just plain funny and an all out offensive on misinformation...

Who better to use???

Perhaps, Stelios...

Bring back the Iron Lady... Or Churchill - far more economincal with truth with no skeletons in the cupboard (well actually come to think of it... equally insidious!).

steamchicken
24th Apr 2003, 22:07
Aren't al-Sahaf jokes beginning to get a little worn out now?

Wee Weasley Welshman
25th Apr 2003, 01:04
Press reports have raised the possibility that the poor man has committed suicide.

Lou Scannon
25th Apr 2003, 21:24
One can but hope!

Dipole
25th Apr 2003, 21:52
Like the man or not, he is a human being possibly with a family.
Is it really politically correct to wish any man is dead?

Norman Stanley Fletcher
26th Apr 2003, 07:43
To Dipole et al who feel sympathy with anyone in the Iraqi regime:

The Iraqi Information Minister may have been a clown, and undoubtedly caused great mirth to much of the Western world. He was nonetheless a very senior figure in one of the most vile regimes of modern times. You do not get to senior positions in a regime like that without blood on your hands. I simply do not believe for one second that Sahaf, Tariq Aziz or anyone else who has got a 'good public persona' was any less guilty than Saddam Hussein and his ghastly sons. They chose to worm their way up to the highest positions within the regime, and at the very least ignored the cries of the oppressed around them in order to feather their own nests. Every last one of them knew, and in most cases approved of, all that was going on in terms of the routine terrorising of their own population not to mention the abduction of thousand of Iranians and Kuwaitis.

It's payback time now, and nobody is going to care too much that 'we were just obeying orders'. We should not forget that nearly every day unmarked graves containing the tortured bodies of thousands of innocent people ranging from 'enemies of the state' through to Kurdish peasants, Shiite rebels and young Iranian conscripts are being found all around Iraq. The guys in this regime are up there with Hitler, Himmler, Hess, Eichmann and all their mates. It might be good to remember what a clown Goering was and yet he actively supported terrible crimes against humanity. Anyone who held a senior position in the Iraqi government has got it coming, and I do not care how much entertainment they have provided us with. They have been willing participants in a hideous and vile regime and they are about to pay the price that their Nazi mates did before them. No doubt a few will get away to the equivalent of South America (Syria?), but a whole lot of them are going down.

I have no sympathy whatsoever with any of them, and I hope once all this mess is sorted that the people of Iraq, from whatever background or creed they come, will have a chance of a new life free from the horrors they have have faced.

Caslance
26th Apr 2003, 08:37
I have no sympathy whatsoever with any of them, and I hope once all this mess is sorted that the people of Iraq, from whatever background or creed they come, will have a chance of a new life free from the horrors they have have faced

NSF is right, folks!

He really was NOT a nice man. No kudos to Ryanair in this instance.:(

Lou Scannon
26th Apr 2003, 20:49
Sometimes, ridicule can be an appropriate response to people like "comical Ali". It in no way minimises the horror that he has caused to the people of Iraq, but adequately demonstrates his new status in life.

He is a muderous pratt and deserves all that is coming to him via natural or military justice.