PDA

View Full Version : PPL Exam Tutor CD

woodey
23rd Apr 2003, 23:41
I got the SOFTrain ppl exam tutor and ground school examiner at Christmas. When i enthusiastically went about using it, i found i couldn't get the CD to install as my computer has a swappable-bay function (at any given time i have EITHER CD tray in OR floppy tray in) and the installation requires concurrent use of CD PLUS security floppy disc.

I contacted SOFTrain over the Christmas hols. took them a longish time to get back to me and when they did, said i should return the product to the supplier within a month of purchase

Needless to say i did not get around to returning it to the supplier (i think TRANSAIR, ordered online) and probably don't have a receipt for it anyway.

Any suggestions on how i might get it to work? anyone else had this problem???

Any advice appreciated on the matter!
Thanks,
Woodey

Ronbmy
24th Apr 2003, 17:19
Just an idea....

Can you create a RAMDisk & copy floppy contents to it?

If needs be, copy floppy to hd folder first.

Then make RAMDisk the 'active' floppy.

It might work - but it may not.

woodey
24th Apr 2003, 20:09
R,
thanks for replying. not sure i know what a RAMDisk is? Do you mean write the contents of the security floppy onto hd, then swap bay to cd tray and write contents from hd onto cd?
W

Ronbmy
24th Apr 2003, 21:10
It's just a virtual disk created in RAM that you can read&write to.

Been having a look on www.download.com

Do a search for 'virtual drive' and you will get a number of reults including cd emulators. These will copy the cd to your hd and make it look like a cd drive. This would allow you to put the floppy back in the bay and install the software. Once done you can delete the virtual drive if you don't need it anymore.

Some peeps love 'em :O and some hate 'em:yuk: . I've known them to work on some systems but not on others:* .

Yer takes yer chance - but shouldn't have to pay yer money.

Good Luck:D