PDA

View Full Version : Index page question.

BRL
23rd Apr 2003, 21:21
Hi all. How do I re-upload my index page?. I deleted mine somehow and there is nothing on my site just a blank page. Any ideas?

Ronbmy
23rd Apr 2003, 21:54
Use CuteFTP or FreeFTP (easy to use)- etc to connect to your website with correct username/password.

Mine then shows

mail/
web/

Double click on web/ (or equivalent)

Locate your index page on the h/d - index.htm or index.html - one site I have uses .htm & the other .html.

Then drag & drop , or highlight file & click on up arrow.

You will see the file transferring. When done disconnect.

Boot browser & try. Should be ok.

Ausatco
23rd Apr 2003, 22:04
If you've kept a back-up copy, upload it the way you did it first time.

Did you create it locally (ie, on your PC at home/work) or did you do it on server-based software that many ISPs provide? - that system allows you to create your page on-line and when you're finished it is uploaded automatically to your web space.

If the former, you'll have to dig out your back-up and upload it again to your ISP's webserver. If you don't know how to do that, contact your ISP's helpdesk. You'll need an FTP client such as CuteFTP or some such to do that. If you don't have a back-up you're stuffed - start again, mate!

I've not used the second method, so I don't know if those on-line web page creation progs save a back-up. My guess is they don't, they just save to your webspace. In which case, if that's the method you used ...

Once you're up and running again, it would be wise to keep a back-up copy of your website somewhere.

Not much good news, I'm afraid.

AA

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
23rd Apr 2003, 22:26
As has already been said, if you have created your pages "at home" with FrontPage, DreamWeaver, whatever, then just re-upload as you did the first time.

If your ISP provides you with fancy online tools, so you don't have a copy at home, then:-

1. I would expect them to provide tools to allow you to easily keep backup copies, so try looking out for these; and

2. Regardless of what backup facilities that they provide, make a local copy on your home PC anyway (for emergencies, so you can play around "tweaking" the code, etc.) You may find www.httrack.com (http://www.httrack.com/index.php) helpful for this.

HTH :cool:

BRL
24th Apr 2003, 00:40
Thanks all. What I am going to do now is look for the saved page then try again. Hopefully should still be on the hard drive somewhere.
I have btinternet as the 'provider' using the free space they offer and directing that to my own URL, or the other way around..!! Anyway, would this affect anything?

flyingwysiwyg
24th Apr 2003, 20:37
Big Red L,

Do you have your own web address that is diverted to BTopenworld free web space. If so it may be that the ISP that maintain your domain name (e.g. www.BigRedL.com) have had a hiccup. If you own a domain name you should have a way of remote administrating it.

Just a thought as this happened to me not so long ago. I'd forgotten to pay my renewal to my domain name company, and rather than telling me they just severed my links.

Hope this helps,

FWyg