PDA

View Full Version : Internet settings help please

Mishandled
23rd Apr 2003, 20:19
I have a Compaq IPAQ desktop running windoze 98 with 64 Mb RAM, IE5 and ADSL. My problem is this; frequently when I click on links in internet pages or type in new web addresses, nothing happens, sometimes for up to two minutes (or more). I think I know nothing happens cos the connection numbers (received/sent) dont change in the connection screen. Is there some setting that I can change that any one knows of or is it just my computer? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, as the missus is annoyed at the expense of ADSL when the internet isnt actually easier to use because of this glitch. Thanks in advance.

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
23rd Apr 2003, 22:40
Need more info, really :rolleyes:

Do the pages come up eventually ?

It sounds (on the basis of incomplete data) that you might have a DNS problem -- that manifests itself in pages taking a long time to start arriving.

You should be picking up the correct network settings (like DNS)automatically via DHCP, but if you are feeling inquisitiuve see if you can find references to DNS servers on your ISP's technical pages and compare the results with what you get by running winipcfg (Start Menu, Run, type in winipcfg) -- you may have to select the correct ADSL interface in the drop-down box.

You should not have had to make any manual changes, but check that any settings that you were asked to change when you went over to ADSL are correct.

This is a bit speculative, based on limited data, but it might point in the right direction...

HTH,

WideBodiedEng
24th Apr 2003, 04:41
I posted something that might be relevant in this thread http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33461

Since then I have updated my network and fitted a new processor & motherboard and the problem arose again!
I dthe same, then had a brainwave - I removed any TCP/IP (except TCP/IP-> dialup adapter) from my network settings in Control Panel and it seems to work.
This MIGHT help.
Good luck

amanoffewwords
25th Apr 2003, 06:12
My two (Swiss) francs worth: Did you use dial-up on this machine previously - if so did you completely remove the settings for that?

In passing I would suggest you upgrade IE to ver. 6.0 as 5.0 is prone to hacking big time - I have seen the effects - not pretty :ooh: .

hth