PDA

View Full Version : smoking on petrol station forcourts

Lan Ding Gere
23rd Apr 2003, 20:07
Guys,

Don't you just hate it when you're filling up at the garage and you see some mindless twats sitting in their cars, window open having a ferkin fag !!!!!

I am seeing this more and more and it is really bugging me now. It got to a stage I even complained to the guy behind the counter, who tried talking to the women as she came in (Left her fag with her mate while she was filling up), his response was "excuse me miss". She knew what it was about and farked off. No action was taken

I mean if these twats want to die, just jump off a cliff, why get us involved.

Personally, I think it should be an offence to smoke at petrol stations and I also think a great big hefty fine should be involved. There would be no excuse for not having any money, as they must have some means of payement for fuel, shopping and anyways, most forcourts have cashpoints.

:mad:

Big Tudor
23rd Apr 2003, 20:35
Absolutely LDG. Some people haven't got the brains they was born with. Which part of 'No Smoking" do they not understand. I've noticed an increase in the number of people filling up the tank whilst yaking on the mobile. Can't get a sign much clearer than 'Turn off mobile phones'. Shell have started to put up posters listing the cases of mobile phone induced forecourt fires.

Lon More
23rd Apr 2003, 21:14
With a bit of luck, Darwin's Law applies and they don't breed

ratsarrse
23rd Apr 2003, 21:30
I've noticed an increase in the number of people filling up the tank whilst yaking on the mobile. Can't get a sign much clearer than 'Turn off mobile phones'. Shell have started to put up posters listing the cases of mobile phone induced forecourt fires.

There is an interesting article on www.snopes.com about this subject. A quote from it:

... after several reports in the United States where mobile phones were blamed for fires at gas stations, both the Cellular Telecommunications Industry Association (CTIA) and the American Petroleum Institute issued statements denying the risk. The CTIA said, "There is no evidence whatsoever that a wireless phone has ever caused ignition or explosion at a station anywhere in the world. Wireless phones don't cause gas stations to blow up. Warnings being posted in petrol stations simply perpetuate the myth." The American Petroleum Institute said, "We can find no evidence of someone using a cellphone causing any kind of accident, no matter how small, at a gas station anywhere in the world."

The risks of smoking and using mobiles at petrol stations are dramatically overstated - just the oil companies covering their asses.

Lan Ding Gere
23rd Apr 2003, 22:06
I agree,

But the thing is having someone sparking up in a car at the forcourt is bad enough.

It's like when you have a gas leak at home, you are advised NOT to flick the light switches, just in case a spark is generated and ignites the gas.

I wouldn't want to be sitting in that same house as having some pillock running around flicking the switches. It's the same principal.

These ferkin smug idiots are just chancing it and risking the lives of others.

rant over

Monocock
23rd Apr 2003, 22:46
The sole reason behind the garages not wanting us to natter on our mobiles is because it interferes with the metering devices and the information relay from the pump to the tills.

it has nothing to do with fire risk, that is purely scaremongery.

Tricky Woo
23rd Apr 2003, 22:55
Hmm, usually quite boring filling up at a petrol station, so plenty of incentive to smoke a ciggy to pass the time.

It can be a bit awkward to light a fag while one of yer hands is occupied holding the pump. Shame petrol pumps always have their 'hands off' switch disabled. Sooo, the best way is to hold the pump and ciggy in your left hand. Try not to squash the cigarette, eh? Then, place your head down near the pump, trying not to breathe in the fumes, and then bring the lighter up, and ignite.

I promise you that the cigarette will then burn merrily on the first attempt. Enjoy your smoke as if it's (ahem) yer last.

TW

slim_slag
23rd Apr 2003, 23:04
Monocock,

Yep! Except mobiles are nowhere powerful enough to do that, but there are CB radios that are. So the garages want to ban anything that transmits.

The trick used to be fill up, blast mega-watts out of the aerial until the counter shows some ridiculously high number, then refuse to pay it saying the machine broke. If the machine shows a ridiculously low number, pay it and move on.

As always, when they want to ban something that is harmless but might cost somebody money, they come up with the safety angle. Same with mobile phones on planes, when the airlines work out how to put a GSM cell on your 737 and so can charge massive roaming fees, it will overnight become safe to phone. Until then, you have to pay $10 per minute for the sky-phone.

Now that petrol has rocketed to at least 1 per gallon and it's costing over ten quid to fill up, might see that technique coming back.

Big Tudor
23rd Apr 2003, 23:10
SLIM_SLAG

1 quid a gallon and ten quid to fill up. You've either been in a time warp for the last 20 years or else you own your own oil refinary. More like 1 quid a litre and 100 quid to fill up these days. :*

Lan Ding Gere
23rd Apr 2003, 23:48
LMAO Big Tudor

:}

gas path
24th Apr 2003, 03:10
Shame petrol pumps always have their 'hands off' switch disabled.
Thats why I always have a couple of split (cotter) pins to hand when filling up.:} :}

Onan the Clumsy
24th Apr 2003, 05:18
I just used to jam the gas cap in the handle.

7-11 used to sell a little blue plastic device that looked like an elephant. It was made specially to lock the handle open.

sprocket
24th Apr 2003, 05:39
I read an article that stated that women refueling cars have had the highest incidence of explosions.
Something to do with getting back in the car after they have starting filling up, maybe to get their purse etc, and then sliding back out of the seat to grab hold of the nozzle. A static discharge occurs and then instant fried female.

Azure
24th Apr 2003, 05:46
I don't believe it's the cell phone that directly that causes the problem, an article I recently read laid the blame on static electricity produced when one slides into and out of the vehicle to retrieve their cell phone while filling the tank.

Because certain fabrics are more susceptible to producing static charge, women were found to cause most of the fires. :\

Now, for people who live in England and such climates, static is probably not such a big deal. I live in a very dry climate, and I am not kidding when I say that I have seen "lightening" flash from my fingers getting out of the car. Hurts like &(%# too.

andrewc
24th Apr 2003, 08:13
My last car had fabric seats which when moved on with
trainer trousers would give you a belt on getting out of
the car to make your eyes water.

The interim solution is to carefully hang onto the metalwork
of the car as you get out getting rid of the charge on your
body to the bodywork.

The longer-term solution is to get a car with leather seats!

-- Andrew

reynoldsno1
24th Apr 2003, 09:06
Shame petrol pumps always have their 'hands off' switch disabled.

Not in the US and NZ they don't. I also found that in all the UK gas stations I visited you can't seem to preset a price for your fuel purchase?

paulc
24th Apr 2003, 15:13
It could be worse - I have the misforture of knowing somebody who ignore's the no smoking signs we have in our hangar. He has also been seen smoking onboard a WW2 aircraft (100LL fuel) which would go bang big time under the right conditions.

He also has the cheek to call me a "smoke nazi" when me (and others) have asked him to either step outside to smoke or put the ciggie out. He also fails to realise that smoking in a hangar would probably invalidate our insurance should the worst happen.

nick24
24th Apr 2003, 17:13
I was a passenger in a car the other week and we stopped for fuel. Looking to my left, I saw the two attendants/shop assistants or whatever they want to be called in their protective plastic bubble merrily smoking away, enjoying their personal nicotine world. If those who are intended to uphold the law disregard it, what hope is there for the mere mortals? Like a previous poster said, what part of "No Smoking" don't they understand. The fact that one of the women was about 7 stone overweight, was wearing a tracksuit (a misnomer if I'd ever heard one in this case) and was weighed down by about 17 gold chains and 8 rings on each hand annoyed me far more. But that's another story...!

angels
24th Apr 2003, 18:43
nick24

Were you in Essex perchance??.....

Shaggy Sheep Driver
24th Apr 2003, 19:23
Many years ago I saw a guy (not smoking, luckily) get soaked in petrol when the hose split at the point it is attached to the nozzle. I presume there is some sort of pressure-sensing safety device to cut the pump if this happens, but this guy got a good soaking, so maybe back then ther wasn't such a device, or perhaps by the time such a device has tripped a fair bit of fuel has sqirted out of the split.

But recently in Manchester a guy did burn to death - he'd ben filling his car from a plastic petrol container while smoking. That's one for the Darwins, methinks.

SSD

nick24
24th Apr 2003, 19:31
Sounds similar, but no, angels - I was a few miles from Cardiff airport at the (Texaco?) garage which doubles up as a Ford showroom. Classy girls - classy place.

corsair
24th Apr 2003, 21:06
Someone mentioned static. I got a few jolts lately getting out of my Golf. Perhaps it was the recent long and incredible dry spell for this part of the world, now sadly ended I notice as I look out the window.

But I haven't heard of anyone blowing up of late. Nevertheless I am going to be a bit careful.

I've seen staff at petrol stations smoking but they usually do so outside the corner of the forecourt furthest away from the pumps.

It occurs to me, given that we always attach a static line when refueling aircraft. How come that's not needed with cars? Anyone know?

ratsarrse
24th Apr 2003, 22:54
I always get a shock off my car - to the extent that I close the door trying not to touch the metal, only to get earth myself when I put my door key in the lock. You get quite an impressive arc at night.
I had a McJob at a petrol station for a while and used to quite happily smoke. Petrol isn't really all that flammable - it's petrol vapours that will readily ignite. If you have a fag in your gob when you are actually filling your car you are asking for trouble. At every other time you are perfectly safe. Inside the shop - as safe as smoking is anywhere else. Inside your car - as safe as smoking inside your car can be. It's easier to ban smoking on the forecourt than to ban people unthinkingly flicking lit cigarette butts out of the window. If smoking wasn't banned, people probably would be stupid enough to smoke while filling up.

steamchicken
25th Apr 2003, 00:12
Reminds me of working in the Kimberley (Western Oz for the ignorant)...one day I drove out in a bull buggy with another bloke and 3x jerry cans of the good stuff to burn some dead beasts (variety - the spice of life!:rolleyes: ). Unfortunately two of the cans were missing the caps. So I volunteered to ride in the back and keep them steady. But the ham-fisted idiot ringer I was with straightaway began driving like a Greek, and very quickly the loadbay was washing about in petrol - I was drenched, I could smell, taste, and think only petrol. And that was when he began lighting up a fag in the windowless cab! I felt the Fear. Lumps of glowing ash were floating by, and I was seriously thinking of jumping out and taking my chances. And Christ! was it hot! But - for reasons that were never made clear - it didn't happen. Lee and I had a bit of a row after that.....you know, I reckon he didn't like me much to start with...