PDA

View Full Version : St. George's day Survey

maninblack
23rd Apr 2003, 18:44
I have just seen on Teletext that a survey of 1000 people produced a 62% level in favour of celebrating St George's day and having an English public holiday.

In a country with areas crushed under the heel of the open toed sandal of politically correct over compensation is this racist? Is this the majority reclaiming their identity? Does this even matter? How does this square up with certain councils banning hot cross buns so they don't "offend minorities"?

:confused:

rustle
23rd Apr 2003, 18:54
Might it have more to do with 620 people wanting another day off work ;)

Dop
23rd Apr 2003, 19:56
What Rustle said.... :ok:

To the best of my knowledge we have far fewer public holidays than most European countries, so it's high time there was an increase in our public holidays as this would further advance our integration with Europe.

We can sell this to Daily Mail readers by making them things like St. George's Day, Trafalgar Day, Battle of Britain day, etc.

For today, we need to go out and reclaim any notions of St. George and patriotism from the far-right by making St. George's Day more like St. Patrick's Day - i.e. nothing more than a really good excuse to go out, do silly things and get completely pissed. Maybe instead of dying the beer funny colours they could just spray a little cross of red food colouring over the head of the beer to look like the flag.

foghorn
23rd Apr 2003, 23:17
AFAIK we have fewer public holidays that the US even.

We do tend to get more leave, though - 10 days is the norm and 15 generous over there, cf. 20 and 25 here.

MMEMatty
25th Apr 2003, 04:46
DEFINATELY AGREE!

Its time we took back our flag from the far right skinheads! I want to celebrate this Nation, this nation that gave the world Shakespeare, Constable, The Bessemar Smelting Process, the Steam Engine, the Jet Turbine, Kipling, Dickens and a hell of a lot more!

How can we bring this about?

Matty

(Composing a letter to Tony as we speak)

OneWorld22
25th Apr 2003, 15:53
Write/e-mail your MP, you should be able to find the address easily enough and get your friends to do the same, (and get PPRuNers to follow as well)

You could start a gigantic snowball and get the result. Most countries have national days of celebration, whether for independance or to celebrate patron saints or whatever, England should have the same.

People power!

maninblack
25th Apr 2003, 21:08
contact your mp (http://www.parliament.uk/directories/hciolists/alms.cfm)

Boy_From_Brazil
26th Apr 2003, 03:19
Even Rio has a day off for St George (God knows why!)

Caslance
26th Apr 2003, 07:57
If St. George existed at all (the Church seems to be a bit divided on the matter) he was a Turk who fought for Byzantium.

How English is that?:confused:

At least St Patrick was Welsh!!:p

skeet surfer
28th Apr 2003, 21:57
I think you might get a day off in Rio because of the Portugal/Brazil connection - St George is also the patron saint of Portugal too.

Patron saint of Catalonia as well (cross of St G on Barcelona football club badge)

I am full of completely useless info like this..................

Miserlou
28th Apr 2003, 23:57
As a matter of principle, if it offends the PC freaks then lets do it!

Eric
29th Apr 2003, 03:23
I was in Kirkby Lonsdale (N England) on the day and they really go to town, all the flags you could wish for, St George riding down the main street on a horse, church services, roses being given out etc.

it's obviously such a rarity that it's celebrated in style that the local news cameras were there!

SilentHandover
29th Apr 2003, 04:28
MMEMatty, Is Mr Kipling really someone to be proud of a a great Englishman, those nasty little cakes all taste the same, like processed pap.:ok:

MMEMatty
1st May 2003, 04:02
I got a very nice letter from Dari Taylor MP today, saying that although there is rising support for a public holiday, the government has no plans to introduce one.

Ah well.

Mr Kiplings Bramley Apple Pies are very nice SH, and the forest fruit ones even better. :ok:
mmmmmmm

Matty

PaperTiger
1st May 2003, 05:02
St George is still venerated in a large number of places, by followers of particular occupations and sufferers from certain diseases. George is the patron saint of Aragon, Catalonia, Georgia, Lithuania, Palestine, Portugal, Germany and Greece; and of Moscow, Istanbul, Genoa and Venice (second to St Mark). He is patron of soldiers, cavalry and chivalry; of farmers and field workers, Boy Scouts and butchers; of horses, riders and saddlers; and of sufferers from leprosy, plague and syphilis :uhoh: . He is particularly the patron saint of archers:

'I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
Follow your spirit; and, upon this charge
Cry God for Harry, England and St George!'.

Henry V, Act 3, Scene 1

Old George is a bit overworked IYAM, how about St Alban instead ? At least he seems to have been English, not some dusky Mediterranean chap. 22 June is St. Alban's day (a bit more clement than 23 April I'd say). Could celebrate Waterloo (18 June) too and have five days off.

Caslance
1st May 2003, 05:05
Wasn't Edward the Confessor the "original" patron saint of England after his canonisation, only to be replaced during the 14th Century for some obscure reason?:confused: