PDA

View Full Version : Tornado wing badge

kmp
23rd Apr 2003, 17:25
I've heard that the Tornado Combat Wing in the Gulf has a composite badge made up of the participating squadrons. Is this correct and has anyone seen a copy?

thanks

Jackonicko
23rd Apr 2003, 17:27
Yes, there was a photo in RAF News

Grob Driver
23rd Apr 2003, 17:47
Certainly did… And what a fantastic design it was too!

Go to www.terrane.co.uk and search embroidered badge, Royal Air Force, Tornado. It shows the badge / design on section 61 – 66 of 80 (hope Pprune allows to put that! – Just ‘moderate it’ if I’m not!) :confused:

Alternatively, look in RAF news…. Like Jack said… There was picture in there!

swinging monkey
23rd Apr 2003, 19:13
Yep,

I've seen also on Terrane's web site - it does look fantastic, and whoever designed it made a great job of it - well done.

Regards
The Swinging Monkey
'Caruthers, a large glass of the nectar please'

Ali Barber
23rd Apr 2003, 21:32
http://www.terrane.co.uk/products/images/EB4512.gif

L J R
24th Apr 2003, 03:57
Tornado WING??

what about the other location and the other Tornado squadrons that were there??

......but then again why bother.....as usual

Grob Driver
24th Apr 2003, 05:14
J L R,

What Tornado squadrons are missing? And what other locations?

It was done for GR4 squadrons in the gulf… You’ve got to be in it to win it!

Cheers

Grob Driver

Chinese Vic
25th Apr 2003, 00:16
Aaaahh...the 'Combat Air Wing'....you should see the pictures of the fly-past of a proper Wing! I'll post them when I get home....

:ok: CV

L J R
25th Apr 2003, 04:23
Grob,

Unless I'm mistaken, I can't see a fox in the emblem.

...leads the field??

The four sqns depicted in the badge are not the only GR-4 SQNs there! Re-iterate, they appear to be from ONE of the deployed locations.

The Cook
25th Apr 2003, 06:48
LJR

As you have all gone home now anyway.......

The badge was designed by a non-flyer for the units operating out of the northerly super secret airbase (as described in the RAF News) and presumably will only be worn at social occaisions. I don't suppose there was a CAW badge made for the units detached to the southerly super secret airbase?

Bloody nice badge though, what?:p

swinging monkey
25th Apr 2003, 14:57
LJR

Sorry to be picky old boy, but I count 5 sqns in the badge. Your'e not mistaken about the Fox, but...................
Were the foxes out there? I don't recall seeing any.
The Cook, whoever designed the badge, as you say, its bloody nice and well done to him (and Terry at Terrane for making it)
Kind regards
The Swinging Monkey
'Caruthers, did you see a Fox recently?'

kmp
25th Apr 2003, 16:46
According to the Sandy Times (issue 31, 16th April). The badge represents the squadrons operating from Kuwait. It carries the lightening flash of 617, the star of 31, the lynx of 13, the triangle
of 2 and the bat of 9 Squadron.

www.operations.mod.uk/telic/sandy6.pdf (http://www.operations.mod.uk/telic/sandy6.pdf)

L J R
26th Apr 2003, 04:02
Swinging, et al, so I can presume that the foxes were the silent types

My point is clearly, be cautious as to what you read in the press - official or not, and although some observers may not have access to little else, please be respectful to those who MAY have done some work, but the press may not have been invited.

nice badge for those who want it.

edited for spelling - again!!

Grob Driver
26th Apr 2003, 06:03
L J R

I fail to see why you are getting so ‘upset’ about this. I admit, that I can only quote the press, but from what I understand, the Combat Air Wing, commanded by Wing Commander Paddy Teakle is made up of crews from 31, 9, 2, 13 & 617 Squadron… The five squadrons that are represented in the badge. That’s not to say that the mighty 12 squadron aren’t out there in the gulf. It just means that they aren’t part of thing wing that comes under Paddy’s command. If 12 are out there, then maybe they are being tasked with different roles? Only a thought, but maybe 12 squadron are there dealing with any potential shipping threat, while the above 5 squadrons merely drop bombs on Iraq? I don’t know… just a thought! Maybe someone in the know can shed a little light on the subject?

Cheers

Grob Driver

Ring Road
26th Apr 2003, 08:35
Grob Driver

If you can “only quote from the press”, then try looking a bit harder.

http://www.northern-scot.co.uk/news.asp?storyvar=7734

Scud-U-Like
26th Apr 2003, 08:44
From a distance, it could be one of Saddam's rank slides.

No, it's very good really.

BEagle
27th Apr 2003, 04:08
Just a query - was the pink background for post-Pink Wednesday political correctness reasons or to symbolise the colour of the desert?

Whatever, the Composite United Nations Tornado Squadrons seem to have done an excellent job............

L J R
27th Apr 2003, 05:03
I guess that's a compliment Beagle.

thanks for the gas.

Grob Driver
27th Apr 2003, 06:37
Ring Road,

Thanks for your contribution there… Most helpful (NOT!)! However, not quite sure what you’re getting at… I was quoting the press (RAF News – 4th April). Now I know I’m good, but I’m not good enough to know what every paper is printing! Sorry mate, but it’s the Lincolnshire Echo for me! – I didn’t even know ‘The Northern Scot’ existed till you put your link there! But anyway, thank you… next time I’ll try a lot harder.
:cool:

BEagle
27th Apr 2003, 07:05
L J R - 'Seem to have' - only because I have no first hand experience from which to speak. Sorry - wasn't involved in passing gas this time around..........