PDA

View Full Version : London Guildhall University?

Dizzy
9th Feb 2001, 23:17
Anyone been to LGH to study for ATPL exams?
Very reasonable price, so what's the catch?

avrodamo
10th Feb 2001, 00:16
Dizzy,
I agree it is reasonable, but it all seems a bit production line to me. Im looking round at the moment before i start my ATPL. Bristol flying centre are winning at the minute. The info is good, and there whole package seems good. Check them out....see what you think

Qhunter
10th Feb 2001, 01:07
I did the CAA ATPL Nav's & Techs at LGU and can do nothing but recommend them.

The courses appear to be underpriced due to the fact that the University receives state funding which helps susidise the cost for the customer. Having said that, you don't half get value for money. When I was looking around I chose Guildhall because they were the longest course on the market. That may sound perverse but my view which turned out to be correct was that if they were taking 9 weeks to do what some schools were doing in 4, it must be because they were teaching the subject matter in full rather than teaching you to pass the exams. The last thing you could call me is an academic but as a result of the courses I did at LGU I seem to be able to recall more of the knowledge than collegues of mine who went to some of the other "exam factories".

I accept that commuting to, or even living temporarily in Central London is not a pleasurable prospect but I would recommend LGU to anyone.

I am going back there at the end of this month for the Perf A course. The course is 2 weeks long. I know there are much, much shorter courses on offer but I am now firmly of the opinion, that knowledge is "quick in, quick out"

(Edited because I haven't yet learned to read it before posting it!!)

[This message has been edited by Qhunter (edited 09 February 2001).]

Speedjeans
10th Feb 2001, 13:21
I did Perf A there about a year ago now with a guy called Peter Knapp, he is Very Very Good and I believe he teaches Nav and something else, hes a ex-RAF Navie and what he does not know is not worth knowing.
I would def go there for Perf A if I needed to do it again.
Cheers
SJ's

------------------
Catch you on the flip side!

A Very Civil Pilot
10th Feb 2001, 19:39
I did all my ATPL's at LGU, and passed the lot first time (well, except met. prac). I highly recommend the place.

It is cheaper than the rest because as a Uni it is a non-profit making organisation, and, I think, doesn't have to charge VAT. The courses are covered in depth, and not just enough to remember the right answers that you practiced before the exam.

More importantly, the Student Union sells cheap beer.

Qhunter
10th Feb 2001, 23:26
...it sold cheap something, I'm not sure I would go as far as calling it beer though!

FatFlyer
11th Feb 2001, 16:34
Good value, the last class of 19 got 2 full passes in module one and 6 got 6 out of 8 passes.

The way to pass seems to be to get hold of past questions, some are so ambiguous, you need to practice with questions as they seem to re appear on the next paper.

As they get more, the results should improve.
This is where Oxford do well, the exams are taken in house and students grabbed on the way out who remember the questions.

LGH were very good with old CAA exams, hopefully they will soon get similar results with the new ones

Dizzy
12th Feb 2001, 03:15
Many thanks people!
I think they deserve a visit, at least!
One more to add to the list, but I'm getting there!
ta!!!!!

Loony_Pilot
12th Feb 2001, 23:50
I did Perf A at LGU, cannot reccomend the place highly enough.
Peter Knapp is a top-notch instructor and the others are very good as well
LP