PDA

View Full Version : SARS Sanitorium in UK

Shinz
23rd Apr 2003, 00:08
I heard a rumour today that the Isle of Wight is to be used as a confined area for those entering the UK from infected areas of Asia. Apparently they have sanitoriums there and travellers are to be confined for 10 days during the disease's incubation period. Is there any truth to this? Surely this is not possible, pilots would have to be confined also!

Ireland on the other hand has nothing at all set up, and we are supposed to be hosting the Special Olympics! Oh dear... :uhoh:

PAXboy
23rd Apr 2003, 00:51
This might have been folks extrapolating that a school expedition just back from HKG, are being put up there for ten days. I have heard nothing to this effect.

Let us not forget that SARS has a death rate w-a-a-y below other virus'. It is reported at 4% of confirmed cases and the media are hyping this all over the place.

takenthe5thamendment
23rd Apr 2003, 01:30
Just checked the latest nursing news on-line, nothing to confirm this info, however I did find.....

RAPID SARS TEST DEVELOPED IN GERMANY

A German biotechnology firm has developed a high-speed test for SARS, the flu virus that has killed 144 people around the world. Hamburg-based Artus is now distributing a detection test for the presence of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome which can identify the virus in two hours, compared to the 10 days taken by some traditional tests.

Posted at 17.15 today.

Just need to find a quick cure for toothache eh Pax?:ok: :D

ORAC
23rd Apr 2003, 03:17
As referred to above, this is an arrangement made by 34 private schools who have students from the region. They have set up two units, one on the IOW the other in the South-West, where their students can stay for 10 days before rejoining school. It's a totally private arrangement and nothing to do with the government. There are 550 such schools and one of the UK's top virologists has accused the government of being complacent and suggested it be made mandatory. But I fear that it would now be too late for that as many will have already returned. We'll soon know if her fears were justified.

Quarantine all students from China and S'pore, says virus expert (http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,4386,184385,00.html)

As an aside, the problem isn't the fatality rate, it's how easily it's caught and spread. The Spanish flu of 1918 had a fatality rate of just 3% but was highly infectious spreading in aerosol form. It killed around 50 million worldwide.

Thankfully, this is nowhere near as infectious as that, but it's still bad spreading through the air by droplet from coughs and sneezes and staying active for several hours in fluids on lift buttons, taps, door handles etc. The fatality rate is 5%.

Pax Vobiscum
23rd Apr 2003, 18:33
ORAC's general point is correct - Spanish flu had a 3-5% mortality rate (total numbers infected is a bit of a guess). But, according to the CDC (http://www.cdc.gov/od/nvpo/pandemics/flu3.htm), total deaths were around 20 million. 50 million would have been 3% of the total world population at the time.

A major difference between SARS and Spanish flu is that the latter killed a lot of young people. SARS deaths (have been mostly confined to old and/or infirm victims, although there are worrying signs from HK that this may be changing.

wilco77
24th Apr 2003, 14:18
Look guys dont get too worked up about SARS. As long as u are in the west u will never get it. Only the Chinese in the west will get it.
This is a CIA american plot to deviate the worlds attention from the war so the world does not ask questions like

"HAT HAPPENED TO THOSE CHEMICAL WEAPONS THE AMERICANS WERE LOOKING FOR IN IRAQ, AND THE PROOF THEY SHOWED TO THE UN TO JUSTIFY ATTACKING IRAQ"

Its just a plot by CIA,just like they light up forest fires around the world to destroy asian economies as well as get cows mad to call it Mad cow disease so Europeans and the world only buys their beef!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THINK ABOUT IT GUYS
DONT LET THE AMERICANS FOOOL YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DX Wombat
24th Apr 2003, 23:34
Wilco77 If your post is meant to be a joke it is FAR from funny. To my mind it also has racist undertones. Enough worry has been caused by the media exaggerating the situation without your posting such rubbish. May I politely suggest that you remove it? :*

Xenia
26th Apr 2003, 00:02
Wilco .... :eek:
What kindda movies u been watching???? :confused: